• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some NPCs in my game

Prince Atom

Explorer
The following is the first of four NPCs I'm making up for my campaign. I'd appreciate any comments, please -- I need some experience designing characters!

Male elf, 8th-level bard
N Medium humanoid (elf)

Init +2; Senses Low-light vision; Listen -1, Spot -1
Languages Common, Elf, Dwarf, Orc

AC 16 [+2 Dex +3 armor +1 natural], touch 12, flat-footed 14
hp 34 (8 HD)
Immune Sleep effects
Resistance +2 racial to Will saves vs enchantments
Fort +2, Ref +8, Will +5

Spd 30 ft.
Melee Masterwork rapier +7/+2 (1d6/18-20)
Ranged Masterwork longbow +8/+3 (1d8/x3), 20 arrows
BAB +6/+1; Grp +6
SA Bardic music (countersong, fascinate, inspire competence, inspire courage +2)
Spells (3/4/4/2, Save DC 15 + spell level)

3 -- clairaudience/clairvoyance, gaseous form, glibness
2 -- enthrall, misdirection, shatter, summon swarm
1 -- charm person, erase, undetectable alignment, unseen servant
0 -- ghost sound, light, mending, message, read magic, resistance

Combat Gear 2 eagle's splendor potions

Abilities Str 10, Dex 15 (+2), Con 10, Int 14 (+2), Wis 8 (-1), Cha 19 (+4)
Feats Investigator, Negotiator, Persuasive
Skills Bluff +17, Diplomacy +21, Disguise +4 (+6 acting), Gather Information +17, Intimidate +19, Perform (sing) +15, Search +15, Sense Motive +12, Spellcraft +13
SQ Bardic knowledge, elf traits
Possessions Masterwork studded leather, amulet of natural armor +1, masterwork rapier, masterwork longbow, cloak of charisma, hat of disguise, silver ring set with garnets (100 gp).

This character is supposed to be working against the PCs without being evil (and without it necessarily coming to a fight). I'm concerned that my game has become one-dimensional, and I'm trying to branch out in terms of conflict. So he's set up to argue an opposing case against them before a council of rulers.

So, whaddya think?

TWK

Last edited:

Infiniti2000

First Post
I think he looks fine. Got a name? Oh, one thing, a Cha of 19 is only +4. Did you mean to include the (unspecified) cloak of charisma? If the cloak is +2, then the Cha would be 19 (21) if you hadn't already figured it in.

I would definitely give him some body guards 'cause in a fight -- any fight -- this guy'll fold up like yesterday's newspaper. :)

werk

First Post
I guess my question is: is he a court bard or an adventuring bard? You have him built like a PC adventurer. If he is merely a politician or advisor, he would spend his money on equipment more applicable to that role.

If he's going adventuring, I think he looks pretty good.

Prince Atom

Explorer
D'oh! Cha 19 = +4. What a boneheaded mistake! Fortunately, that's the only place that it crops up. His skills check out OK.

Hmmm... no, not an adventurer. How about some eagle's splendor potions, and a tweak to his feats?

TWK

Infiniti2000

First Post
I think werk is referring to all the masterwork weapons and armor. The thing is that all that stuff doesn't really add up to a whole lot. The majority of his items are the hat of disguise and cloak of charisma, which neither are particularly adventuring gear and fit the concept quite well. You could probably swap out the amulet of natural armor and some of the masterwork stuff for something like a circlet of persuasion. It's much more expensive, but given that this guy is a major nemesis, I think it's more than justifiable. If necessary, replace the cloak of charisma with the circlet.

werk

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
I think werk is referring to all the masterwork weapons and armor. The thing is that all that stuff doesn't really add up to a whole lot. The majority of his items are the hat of disguise and cloak of charisma, which neither are particularly adventuring gear and fit the concept quite well. You could probably swap out the amulet of natural armor and some of the masterwork stuff for something like a circlet of persuasion. It's much more expensive, but given that this guy is a major nemesis, I think it's more than justifiable. If necessary, replace the cloak of charisma with the circlet.

Bingo. Drop the Masterwork studded leather, amulet of natural armor +1, masterwork rapier, masterwork longbow, 2 eagle's splendor potions.

I think the circlet is better than the cloak, except...are spells considered charisma based checks, like spell DC. (it's a long shot, but thought I'd ask)

Infiniti2000

First Post
werk said:
Bingo. Drop the Masterwork studded leather, amulet of natural armor +1, masterwork rapier, masterwork longbow, 2 eagle's splendor potions.

I think the circlet is better than the cloak, except...are spells considered charisma based checks, like spell DC. (it's a long shot, but thought I'd ask)
With the circlet, you don't get spell DC boosts or additional spells, but the difference here is +1 DC and no additional spells (since he can't cast 4th level spells yet). That +3 on all those skills, though, will do very nicely.

Anyway, like I said all that masterwork stuff is not that expensive. I'd have him at least keep the masterwork rapier. As a court bard, for example, he'd be expected to wear a nice-looking weapon. Perhaps add some gems to it (maybe 100-300gp worth). I would not give him studded leather. Maybe a mithril chain shirt (eventually, if not now).

werk

First Post
Just be sure to grant an XP award to the player that greets him by saying
"Well HELLO Mr. Fancypants!"

Darklone

I'd give him at least Tashas Laughter and Cure Light or Moderate Wounds as the must-have utility spells (if your joke was bad or you met an unfriendly fighterdude who got too close).

Demoquin

First Post
You could also look into Song and Silence for some nice bard/ rogue props like the garrote and the "extra wire" on his lute for choking purposes

Remove ads