• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Some questions about mounted combat

Grand_Director

Explorer
I have a hafling druid in my game and he rides a war dog into combat. My question concerns AC and attack priority. When medium creatures are attacking with melee weapons:

Can they target either the rider or the mount?

If the rider is attacked does he get dex bonus to AC? Would he get the mounts dex bonus? No dex bonus?

If the mount is targeted would it lose any dex bonus for the extra weight of the rider?

Thanks for your help....

Grand_Director said:
I have a hafling druid in my game and he rides a war dog into combat. My question concerns AC and attack priority. When medium creatures are attacking with melee weapons:

Yes.

If the rider is attacked does he get dex bonus to AC? Would he get the mounts dex bonus? No dex bonus?

His own Dex bonus.

Note that if the attacker targets the mount and you have Mounted Combat, you can "parry" the blow with a Ride check.

If the mount is targeted would it lose any dex bonus for the extra weight of the rider?

See the encumberance rules, with a special emphasis on creatures with high Strength, four legs and are larger than Medium. The creature may be slowed down, or they may not be, depending on their encumberance and the weight of their rider and gear.

Last edited:

shilsen

Adventurer
Grand_Director said:

Yes, they can target whichever they choose.

The rider uses his own Dex bonus.

Use the appropriate Dex bonus based on what level of encumbrance it is at due to the rider's weight. A mount at light encumbrance gets its normal Dex bonus, at medium encumbrance has a max Dex bonus of +3, and at heavy encumbrance has a max of +1.

Thanks for your help....

Glad to help.

Last edited:

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
(These guys are good, aren't they?)

Riding dogs are very strong. They can carry a halfling in plate armor without breathing hard.

Base 66 lbs. for Str 15. Multiply x1 1/2 for medium quadruped.

The dog is also going to increase in Str as the Druid levels.

Legildur

First Post
So, which makes a nicer mounted combatant?

An archery based halfling druid, or a lance based halfling paladin?

Just looking for some discussion...

Grand_Director

Explorer
Legildur said:

Well I'm going to have to say that the short spear tossing druid I mentioned has a certain charm he has the mobility to get around all while being free to "reload" another spear. Now only if the spear could be used like a lance...

Mounted...

The mounted archer can get a full attack in every round...

The mounted lancer can get x3 damage on an charge....

Its really hard to say. Mostly it depends on the rest of your party and the normal adventures. Both characters are dependant on a series of Feats and open space to manuever in.

If they are ever dismounted, the archer maintains more of thier ability while the lancer's feats become unusable.

My preference is the archer for this reason, along with the idea of being out of my enemies attack range :)

shilsen

Adventurer
Legildur said:

What Primitive Screwhead said, with one addendum - when the lance-using halfling paladin gets his one big hit in, he's going to make the DM cry. I agree that the archer is a more viable character overall (esp. when you add in the druid spellcasting, which is very powerful), but the paladin will be fun for the one big hit.

likuidice

First Post
halfliiiing!

Halfling druid 10/outrider 10, your mount continues in animal companion progression, and you can cast produce flame, especially extended ones, to make a nice mounted "archer". Halfling outrider is in complete warrior, perfect for a character like this.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads