Some rules questions...

KenHood

First Post
I did say this same sentence in another post in the last couple of days, so I might sound repetitive. But: this is not a videogame. You can do something that is not regulated by the rules. It's just that you won't know what your DM will make of it.
You're correct. However, the structure of the game shows heavy influence from videogames. Also, the construction of characters fits the rules for object-oriented computer programming. You've got an object, your character. The object has attributes. It also has specific functions associated with it (powers).

Atanatotatos

First Post
That's fine, it's the philosophy of this edition. I like it because the basics are simple. But I don't think you'll go in a loop and explode if I make Hadarai do something not covered by rules in your game. So,yeah, it's still a roleplaying game, even if it is no simulation-wannabe.

elecgraystone

First Post
"Yes, my professionally crafted heavy stick is much more effective than your stick you made yourself."

It...

It just...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
Yep, that's why you see people using tree limbs instead bats when they play baseball. Because tree limbs work JUST as well? :confused::erm:

There's really no difference between them as far as effectiveness in real life. Usually, you go with the cheap materials, because they're a disposable item, intended to aid in escape.
I would beg to differ. The non-crappy ones are made to always have a point sticking straight up. The crappy twisted nail ones? Who knows if it'll even stay intact instead on being pushed flat. I'll stick with the idea that improvised caltrops don't get an attack bonus [straight roll], just like an improvised weapon doesn't get a proficiency bonus.

KenHood

First Post
Yep, that's why you see people using tree limbs instead bats when they play baseball. Because tree limbs work JUST as well? :confused::erm:
Not a good argument. People don't use axe handles for baseball, either. Baseball is not fighting, and the type of swing that you make in baseball can get you killed in a Real Fight (tm).

A stick is a stick. You find a good branch. Chop it off the tree. Clean it up, and you're ready to go.

The crappy twisted nail ones? Who knows if it'll even stay intact instead on being pushed flat.
Speaking from personal experience: They do. And they can hold their shape after being run over by a car.

elecgraystone

First Post
Actually it's a perfect example. A bat is made for baseball and it works MUCH better than an improvised stick, An axe handle works better that a stick as a handle. A correctly made club works better than a stick. It's just how things work. An untreated and unworked stick doesn't have the balance or strength of a club, tending to give, bend and crack. But you are right, a stick is a stick. However a stick isn't a club.

As far as the caltrops, I've see the one's you are talking about fail to stick into a boot, instead flattening. As such, my mind isn't changed about either subject.

Reklaw

First Post
Quick point regarding clubs/staff vs a stick. If I were to walk outside now and take a decent sized stick off of a tree and then go buy a quarterstaff from a local martial arts supplier there would be a major difference. This is because my stick would be just that, a stick. The quarterstaff would probably be rattan or red oak and would ideally be of very good quality.

The difference in game is that the quarterstaffs sold at ye local armorey are probably not shipped in from China or wherever, instead someone went out into the woods and found an appropriate stick, most likely shaving it to be relatively smooth and possibly straightening it if it needed it. This is no different than what a character can do if they were to go out into the woods and repeat this. At this level of technology a stick is a stick. Agreed?

KenHood

First Post
...buy a quarterstaff from a local martial arts supplier there would be a major difference.
Only in issues of finish. The one from the local martial arts store will be much prettier, but it tends to be able to handle only as much as abuse as a broomstick. Nowadays, they don't make them for hitting people, but for kata--so they're very light, very fast, and very, very, very fragile. In truth, if you find a thick branch with some good heartwood, you can make an excellent staff that more durable and effective than the stuff you buy at martial arts stores. It won't look cool. It may even be irregular or crooked. But it works great.

I think it's one of the traits of our modern society--being so far away from the actual construction of objects--that we ascribe superior quality to something that is machine processed.

Now, Reklaw, let me tell you something that will save a load of money on bo, hanbo, and jo. Go to Home Depot or Lowe's. Look in their closet supplies section. They sell red oak closet rods that word excellent for martial arts applications and cost a fraction of the stuff you find in martial arts catalogues. Give 'em a decent licking with 150 grit sandpaper, until they glide in your grip. If finish is an issue, get some linseed oil and apply a couple of coats. You can do it with a paper towel. If you want some decoration, take a butane lighter and lightly scorch the wood to make ring patterns or darkened ends or whatever you want. The scorching will strengthen the wood, too.

It's cheap. I've a couple of rods that have lasted seven years. One of them I've even fooled around and used to smash bricks.

dimsdale

First Post
Sorry to change the subject:

Can someone guide me to the thread where we decided to ban the Weapon Expertise feat, or at least give me the general reasoning for why we decided to do so?

I'm now playing a barbarian, which has the capability of dishing out wicked damage if he hits. If he hits is the problem. All of the encounter or daily powers are a one-shot deal. If he misses, it's done, unlike a fighter who can continue using the brute strike attack until the figher hits.

Yes, the +1 from the feat is nice because it increases the chance to hit, but DM's have lots of ways of counter that. Example, my fighter has been in clouds of darkness multiple times (decreasing the chance to hit by 2), as well as blinded (decreasing the chance to hit by 5) in two separate adventures. The last bout of blindness lasted three rounds.

The fighter can take it because of his high AC and HP. The barbarian however, can't (relatively low HP and AC). I know what you're going to say. "You should have thought about that before you chose the class". True, but do spell casters get a distinct advantage when rolling a "to hit" when they are rolling against reflex, will or fortitude? I've seen some of the high damage a warlock and socercer can do once they hit. Very high indeed.

Let me know

thanks

ryryguy

First Post
The difference in game is that the quarterstaffs sold at ye local armorey are probably not shipped in from China or wherever, instead someone went out into the woods and found an appropriate stick, most likely shaving it to be relatively smooth and possibly straightening it if it needed it. This is no different than what a character can do if they were to go out into the woods and repeat this. At this level of technology a stick is a stick. Agreed?

There might be a little more work done on the staff from ye local armory - maybe iron bands around the ends or something - but for the sake of argument, sure, there's nothing the armory would do that any shmoe with a knife couldn't do.

But I think really we're just back to the original point of "it's a game, not a simulation", and in the game, there's no crafting system. There's no in-game way to get from raw materials to finished product. The quarterstaff example is just a case where the effort to go from raw materials to finished product is so trivial that the lack of that system in game really stands out.

I mean, turning iron ore into chainmail is not something you'd expect just anyone to be able to do. You may regret the lack of crafting skills that would let certain characters do it. But given that there's no crafting skills, you don't really expect to be able to do it. The quarterstaff is the same in that there's no system in place to let you make it. It's just different in that you're more likely to expect that you should be able to.

(Of course, in this specific case a DM allowing somebody with a carving knife turn a stick into a staff would not be a huge deal; the 5 gp savings would not break the economy.)

Remove ads