Some spells, a childish character, and a self-deprecating player. What's not to like?

genshou

First Post
Lela, you're very fortunate to have a chance to use EoM in actual play. I can't make spells because I have no casters to use them in-game. I started this thread in hopes of alleviating this problem, but we'll see if anyone actually bites.

Meanwhile, I have one spell I can upload for your perusal. It came up as a concept in my wicked brain and I'd like to hear what you think of it, RangerWickett. :)

Crystal Tomb
Create Earth 1/Evoke Crystal 11/Gen 4
Total MP: 16
Range: Medium (150 ft.)
Duration: Ten minutes
Area: 10-foot radius circle
Edit: Saving Throw: Reflex half (see text)
This spell creates a sphere of solid stone six inches thick around the target creature or point, at the extent of the spell’s radius. Creatures inside are trapped unless they break the earthen walls (hardness 8, hp 90 per 100 square feet of wall) or find some other means of escape.

The truly lethal aspect of the spell is the bladelike shards of crystal that fly back and forth through the room. Any corporeal creature on the same plane of existence inside the tomb takes 2d6 points of piercing damage on the first round, and 1d6 points of piercing damage each subsequent round. A Reflex save reduces the damage from any given round to half.
Costs: 1 MP stone wall, 1 MP crystal evocation, 10 MP enduring damage, 2 MP range, 1 MP area, 1 MP duration.

Last edited:

*yawn* It's too early in the morning for me to be sure this is right, but you seem to have spent 1 MP on 'crystal evocation' for no real reason. The 'enduring damage' is inherently a crystal evocation, since you bought it with Evoke Crystal. So reduce the spell MP by one, and you'll have a nice death trap.

Of course, it's a trap that can be hammered through by a strong character fairly easily, especially at the level you can cast the spell, and the damage per round is fairly minimal, so it's not overpowered. I rather like it. I think it would make a nice puzzle sort of spell -- ha ha, you're trapped! What are you going to do about it? And when the PC escapes, he feels extra cool for having thwarted the spell.

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
He's right

No, he's right - it's just not documented as clearly as it could be.

Create Earth 1 (Create the barrier)
Evoke Crystal 11 (1 extra damage, 10 enduring) - 2d6 damage
Gen 4 (Range 2, Duration 1, Area 1)

genshou

First Post
Bayonet_Chris said:
No, he's right - it's just not documented as clearly as it could be.

Create Earth 1 (Create the barrier)
Evoke Crystal 11 (1 extra damage, 10 enduring) - 2d6 damage
Gen 4 (Range 2, Duration 1, Area 1)
Correct–sorry, I was following the naming convention from the EoM book itself, which lists the extra damage in the form of "[Element] evocation". I wanted the spell to be 16 MP, so I upped the first-round damage by 1. Also works nice for flavor.

Lela

First Post
Quite the spell Genshou. It even brought the boards down. ;)

Have you considered losnig that 1 extra damage die in favor of a mild Evoke side effect, such as knockdown* or, better yet, using an extra MP for Charm (Hold)*?

*Not near my book, so I'm not sure of costs. I think I'm right.

It occurs to me that a good name for Peter's version would be Peter's Unpleasent Playhouse.

genshou

First Post
Lela said:
Quite the spell Genshou. It even brought the boards down. ;)

Have you considered losnig that 1 extra damage die in favor of a mild Evoke side effect, such as knockdown* or, better yet, using an extra MP for Charm (Hold)*?

*Not near my book, so I'm not sure of costs. I think I'm right.

It occurs to me that a good name for Peter's version would be Peter's Unpleasent Playhouse.
I've thought about it, but it didn't fit the spell theme I wanted. Of course, anyone who finds where this spell was scrawled in blood on a cave wall by a dying mage (who had the spell turned on him by a former apprentice) is welcome to modify it for their own spellbook :)

genshou

First Post
Potor al-Jalur, once an apprentice to Rubeus Aldun, is not well known in the present, but where he is mentioned it is for his treachery upon mastering his former teacher's Crystal Tomb spell. What is not well documented is that he developed his own variation on the spell after becoming even more frighteningly powerful.

Tomb of Crystal Ice
Create Earth 1/Evoke Crystal 10/Evoke Ice 5/Gen 4
Total MP: 20
Range: Medium (150 ft.)
Duration: Ten minutes
Area: 10-foot radius circle
Saving Throw: Reflex partial (see text)
As Crystal Tomb, except that the spell does not deal extra damage on the first round, and a blast of cold can freeze in place those who fail their Reflex save on the first round. Huge or smaller objects lose up to 10 points of hardness from becoming brittle due to the cold, and Medium or smaller creatures are encased in crystalline ice and are unable to move, effectively helpless, and begin suffocating unless freed. A character may free themselves with a successful Strength check (DC 20). Attempting to break free is a full-round action. Since they are helpless, encased characters automatically fail subsequent Reflex saves against the spell's damage.

All effects of being frozen disappear when the spell's duration ends.
Costs: 1 MP stone wall, 10 MP enduring crystal damage, 5 MP major ice side effect, 2 MP range, 1 MP area, 1 MP duration.

Last edited:

Lela

First Post
So, the Elemental Side effects only ask for one save (on the first round). But what about new creatures entering the area?

Thoughts?

Lela

First Post
Some new spells thought up between classes.

Death's Evanescent Sting
Heal Humanoid 5/ Gen 0
Total MP: 5
Range: Touch
The target creature is restored to life. It cannot have been dead for more than 10 minutes and, if the soul is unwilling to return the spell has no effect. It has full hit points, vigor, general health (including the loss of all diseases it may have had in life), and MP/spells. However, the trip back to the material world is a harsh one, and the target loses 1 level or, if it is already 1st level, it loses 2 points of Constitution permanently.

Creatures already living are cured for 1d6 damage with no other effects. Costs: Lesser Revive 5 MP

One Handsome Lad
Infuse Fire 11/ Gen 8
Total MP: 19
Range: Touch
Duration: 1 Day
Target gains a +10 enhancement bonus to Charisma.
Costs: Enhance Ability Score 11 MP, 8 MP Duration.

Peter's Beautiful Beneficence
Charm Humanoid 7/ Gen 1
Total MP: 8
Range: 30 ft
Duration: 1 Minute
Saving Throw: Will Partial or Will Negates
HD Threshold: 14
The target is sent into an overwhelming Frenzy, gaining a +4 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a -4 to AC. The creature can take no rational actions and attacks the nearest enemy. If there are no foes left on the field, it attacks the nearest ally. In addition, the caster may pick any creature or object that the target now considers a foe and is hostile towards—usually one of the target's allies is chosen.

If the target makes his saving throw by less than 5, he instead enters a lesser rage, gaining a +2 morale bonus to Strength and Constitution and a -2 to AC. He will not attack any of his allies and is still capable of rational actions. You can choose one creature or object that the target now considers a foe and is hostile towards, with the exception of any creature or object that it is considered Helpful towards. In that case, the new attitude is Indifferent.
Due to the nature of the secondary effect, this spell can be dangerous to cast, possibly giving your foes more of an advantage than a hindrance. Costs: Strong Anger 4 MP, Subtle Charm 3 MP, Range 1 MP.

Hey RW, question on Death's Evanescent Sting.
EoM said:
The "revive" usages of the Heal spell list have the same effect as Resurrection in the core rules, resulting in a level loss or a loss of a point of Constitution.

Resurrection, in the 3.5 PHB, notes 2 pts of Con loss. Is the difference an oversight or intentional?

Last edited:

Lela said:
Hey RW, question on Death's Evanescent Sting.

Resurrection, in the 3.5 PHB, notes 2 pts of Con loss. Is the difference an oversight or intentional?

An oversight. I think in 3.0 it was just 1 point of Con, and I did not notice the change.

Interesting spells, but sadly I can't comment on them now. I'm forcing myself to take a break from work, which means no posting after 6pm if I can avoid it. I was finding that I had no time for my own fiction writing, hanging out with friends, or housework.

Remove ads