Some Stats from the Wired Article

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're not going to get it, but I'd be very interested in how those employment numbers actually break down. For the longest time I feel like it's been said that the 5E team is not particularly big, and that seems to be echoed in the sources.

Staffan

Legend
If Paizo is like, 50 people, it isn't a "big company". Its HR may be one person.
My understanding is that currently, HR is less than one person – it's being handled as part of the CFO's duties. And that (along with the recent turnover in the HR position) is one of the union's grievances.

R_J_K75

Legend
At the time of interview, you don't know what the work environment and expectations will really be. We all hope that the reality doesn't deviate too much from the interview's image of it. But sometimes the reality is not as rosy as it was suggested. Or, perhaps things have changed over time.

Your advice then is to just quit, as if that is no big deal. That seems to ignore many realities of being without employment. Being without a paying job kind of sucks, and quitting can leave you out of work for long periods. "Just quit," is not great advice when it may quickly lead to homelessness, for example.

Rather than incur those realities, many find collective negotiation to be a useful tool to improve their situation.
In a particular field companies get a reputation so its pretty easy to weed out the bad ones if you do your research. If you're uprooting for a job then youre taking a risk. My advice would be to not stay in a hostile and/or traumatic work environment.

R_J_K75

Legend
Whether or not Paizo voluntarily recognizes them doesn't mean they haven't unionized.
It'll matter if they unionize and Paizo doesnt recognize them. I dont think theres anything stopping Paizo just firing and replacing them? Definitely unlikely and not a good look for Paizo but a possibility.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It'll matter if they unionize and Paizo doesnt recognize them. I dont think theres anything stopping Paizo just firing and replacing them? Definitely
Well, they have unionized, so it's not an if. Firing and replacing 30+ people who make up half your company in one fell swoop is not a particularly practical option. The union absolutely has leverage whether or not Paizo voluntarily recognizes it. That's how unions work.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
It'll matter if they unionize and Paizo doesnt recognize them.

Well, they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads