D&D 5E Some warlock house rules (sorry)

Xeviat

Hero
I think if you look at PotB the way I do, it's a lot weaker. How much benefit would you give to a melee version of the Eldritch Blast cantrip? Not very much I suspect. Especially if you have taken agonizing blast, eldritch blast is a 1d10+Cha attack with Cha to hit, and you get multiple attacks with it automatically. If eldritch blast is a fair cantrip, then a melee eldritch blast would be as well.

For a long time, I've wanted to remove the current blade invocations and make PotB give you a melee weapon with Cha as the attack stat, have attacks scale at 5th, 11th, and 17th like EB, and allow it to be used as a focus and to perform somatic components for warlock spells. Its then akin go the Agonizing Blast invocation, an extra cantrip (melee eldritch blast, but up to 2d6 damage for a greatsword), without hurting their ability to cast spells. I might even consider some kind of AC bonus, but I wouldn't want to make PotB the choice option.

Tersival

First Post
Personally I lean towards just giving PoB Warlocks "Eldritch Blow", a melee spell attack version of Eldritch Blast and the corresponding invocations - options that don't stack with/effect Eldritch Blast or magic weapons (potentially creating tough tactical choices if the warlock finds a nice magic weapon).

Bladelocks DPR is boosted by a strong attack option but they remain a glass cannon, and Eldritch Blast is no longer the clearly most superior cantrip choice.

TallIan

Explorer
At most you can have cha to atk/dmg with the pact weapon. Anything more than that swings the balance too far.

What would you say to hits with the pact weapon casting hex on the target. That would essentially grant 1d6 damage on most hits (as long as you aren't concentrating on something else). The effect on ability checks might make this option a little too powerful though.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
It'd be fun to see what the Warlock would look like if the Blade/Chain/Tome was the major theme of the archetype and the patron was the second minor decision point to flavor the whole thing, mostly by adding there special spell list.

Edit: tried a little something

Warlock
Lvl 1 feature: Warlock Pact
Lvl 2 feature: Patron's Boon (expended spell list)
Lvl 3 feature: Invocations

Pact of the Blade
Also known has Hexblades, the those warlock delved in the
forbidden magic used to bolster their own fortitude and prowess.

lvl 1: Hex Warrior, per XGtE Hexblade

Lvl 3: Hexblade Curse, per XGtE Hexblade

lvl 6: Extra Attack

lvl 14: Battle Magic: When cast spell, can make an attack as a bonus action.

Pact of the Tome
Called Witches by the little folk, those learn the shadowy secrets of spells
from beyond this reality.

Lvl 1: Book of Shadow , per PHB

lvl 3: Dark One's own Luck, per PHB

lvl 6: Armor of Hexes, per XGtE Hexblade

lvl 14: Dark Delirium, per PHB

Pact of the Chain
Also known as Binders, those warlock explore dark magic to coerce unnameable
entities from this world and beyond.

lvl 1: Chained Familiar, per PHB

lvl 3: Bounded manifestation: Can use spell with familiar as origin.

lvl 6: Mighty Summoner, per XGtE Shepherd.

lvl 14: Create Thrall, applicable to Fiend, Celestial and Fey. Per PHB GOO

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
Personally I lean towards just giving PoB Warlocks "Eldritch Blow", a melee spell attack version of Eldritch Blast and the corresponding invocations

This is my thought as well. Just let the PoB use all of the eldritch blast abilities as a melee weapon. Simple and Easy.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
I wouldn't make Eldritch Blow scale by number of attacks, because then it's too similar to the Fighter. I'd make it an ally-friendly AoE centred on the caster, and have it's area scale.

Xeviat

Hero
I wouldn't make Eldritch Blow scale by number of attacks, because then it's too similar to the Fighter. I'd make it an ally-friendly AoE centred on the caster, and have it's area scale.

But does the Warlock Eldritch Blast scaling make them too similar to an Archer Fighter?

Yunru

Banned
Banned
But does the Warlock Eldritch Blast scaling make them too similar to an Archer Fighter?
Somewhat, but not to the same degree. A lot more ranged support specifies ranged weapon attacks than melee support specifies melee weapon attacks.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases