Some Words Of Wisdom From Players

DMingNicholas

First Post
If you're DMing, you should really think about what the situation would be like. It is one thing to say that the fighter's cleave bloodied an enemy, it is another to get gritty and descriptive about the great axe tearing into the flesh of the frightened goblin. For that matter, think about the enemies? Is it worth it for them to stay and fight when they are outmatched? Do they try to run, surrender or fight to the bitter end?

Also, don't be afraid of looking foolish. Giving different characters voices and mannerism that you act out at the table goes a long way to making them memorable.

abhorsen950

First Post
Again thankyou to all who bothered to post
Your Advice is really appreciated
i keep talking but i still havent ordered it
Also another question
Why do so many people hate the 4th ed?
Love to hear from you all
ABH

isd

First Post
Also another question
ABH

I apolagize for any grammatical errors.

Like any game D&D caters to a type of player some people dislike it or like it for all sorts of reasons.

fourth edition has a uniquely bad rap with second, third edition and 3.5 players because of its name. 4th edition is a "new" game set in a "new" D&D universe. This would normally not anger anyone, but because it has the name dungeons and dragons people expected the same game. The same thing happened when third edition came out, but there was one significant difference. The internet blog lol.

with information so available people get input that is both hourly baked bread fresh and years old egg smelling. Everyone has the right to their opinion and some older D&D players are very into that right.

Like any game D&D isn't perfect but with the right mindset it is fun and extremely entertaining. I hope you can develop your own opinion and have a good time doing it. Even if this isn't the game for you though if you tell us what you like or don't like about it we can help you find other games or help you rework 4th ed to better meet you and your friends needs.

Prestidigitalis

First Post
abhorsen950: Let me join the others in welcoming you. I would note though, that you are much more likely to be criticized for spelling, grammar and punctuation issues than for "being a newbie". Don't let it bother you -- some people just aren't content to lead by example.

As for advice, here's one suggestion: Don't be afraid to simplify at first. If something seems unnecessarily complex, feel free to leave it out. Try to master one thing at a time, not everything at once. Also, don't feel like you have play every session the same way. If you are having problems with (for example) rules related to positioning in combat, have a session where you play throw-away characters and just experiment with it.

There is no one correct way to play D&D (any edition) and so long as you are having fun, keep at it.

abhorsen950

First Post
Many Thanks Once Again

Many thanks for all you posters keen to help me out
much appreciated
The starter set which i keep talking about can be found here : [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0786948205/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk]Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Starter Set D&d Introductory Game Dungeons & Dragons: Amazon.co.uk: Wizards RPG Team: Books[/ame]
Look at it tell me what you think
tell me if you think its worth buying
Though it will most likely to be purchased tonight so please reply soon :)
As always pointers ideas on purchases are appreciated
get back to me guys
ABH

abhorsen950

First Post
Many Thanks Once Again

Many thanks for all you posters keen to help me out
much appreciated
The starter set which i keep talking about can be found here : [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0786948205/ref=cm_cr_asin_lnk"]Dungeons & Dragons Roleplaying Game Starter Set D&d Introductory Game Dungeons & Dragons: Amazon.co.uk: Wizards RPG Team: Books[/ame]
Look at it tell me what you think
tell me if you think its worth buying
Though it will most likely to be purchased tonight so please reply soon :)
As always pointers ideas on purchases are appreciated
get back to me guys
ABH

SigmaX0

First Post
It's a little hard to tell what you're actually getting for your money with the starter set, so it's hard to advise.

Me and my group started when we were only 12 or 13 with a system called LOR (based on Lord of the Rings), i'd certainly recommend starting out slow and simple.

My piece of advice would be, make sure you find the best person in your group to be the DM, don't be afraid to swap roles and let different people try it out. Even if you're the person in the group who knows the rules the best, it won't necessarily make you the best candidate to be DM. Some people just have a natural flair for storytelling (like my DM), and some people have a natural flair for character optimization (like me :p).

abhorsen950

First Post
I agree with what your saying it is hard to tell what your getting but if you read the reveiw it explains most of the contents.
About the DM i think my friends up for playing it and i think he'd take it well but for what you've said i think i would make a better one:erm: so not quite sure on that one.
thanks for looking at it and telling me what you think
and please others give your impressions on my purchase.
Love to hear from the rest of you
ABH

BartD

First Post
Welcome to the boards.

Regarding the starter set, I think it contains almost exactly the same rules as the free "D&D Test Drive" download nogray has linked to (and the same sample characters too). From what I remember, it also has some monsters and tokens/terrain but not much of a sample adventure. The free Test Drive has a much longer adventure with advice on how to run the encounters.

So unless you really want the counters end extra monsters, I'd suggest just using the free download first as I think it will be an easier start. Or at least download it and take a look - it's free :cool:

Pickles JG

First Post
Also another question
ABH

Hi & welcome

The basic set is good value & has the things you need to start (dice maps basic rules)

The online taster stuff is the other very good place to start as it's if totally free - but as you still need to buy dice you will still need to spend a couple of quid & you will probably want a map & some tokens for characters & monsters.
After that I would go with the Players handbook - the DMG is more optional - though has a lot of very good advice for new players & DMs.
You do not need the Monster Manual until you want to make up your own adventures - anything you buy will have the complete data you need to play in it.

If you are in the UK Cheadle Heath you might like to look out Fanboy3 in central Manchester. FanBoy3 : Home It's a D&D extravaganza!

There is a lot of D&D on there - most week nights Sundays & some Saturdays (& today). You can try out playing without buying stuff & get a feel for what you might want to get. There are not many under 16s playing there D&D (one I think) but it is young person friendly - lots of YuGiO & Pokemon players who ain't old (anyone under 30 seems the same to me nowadays ...). I am pretty sure that if you talked to Storekeeper Dave he could set up a game for you one Sunday if you wanted to bring a party of players - or you can just show up alone & will get fitted in.

4 ed hate - dunno I love it but it is a big change from the previous edition in design philosophy. Also some of the 30 years of the "mythology" of the D&D world(s) has been trampled over.

Remove ads