• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Something I came up for Drow Men

LoneWolf23

First Post
I've been doing some thinking about Drow males, and how they fit into Drow society. And here's an alternative to the "downtrodden males who take it out on outsiders" concept.

Basically, Drow Males follow a Spider Deity of their own, who would be Lolth's mate; this Spider God, however, would be a Hunting Spider rather then a Web-Spinning Spider.

This schism would push the males and females into different directions: Females would become planners and schemers, weaving complex webs of intrigue. Males, on the other hand, would be hunters, going out to find their prey, kill it and consume it. Exceptions to either rules would be the Female Drow who command war parties, and Male Drow who study Arcane magic.

Doesn't change the outward appearance of Drow society, but I figured it would alter the flavor a bit...

Opinions? (other then Drow Suck, please, I'm serious.)

Kamard

First Post
I would make this a cult. Lloth wouldn't want male drow to have a deity. She likes them just like they are- downtrodden.

Re: lolths mate

I could be wrong but I do not think that is accurate for every species of spider.

Sanackranib said:
If lolth is like most other spiders then her mate was consumed to give her the strength to lay her brood.

Last edited:

Guilt Puppy

First Post
Re: Re: lolths mate

DocMoriartty said:
I could be wrong but I do not think that is accurate for every species of spider.

It seems pretty accurate to Lolth, though :)

Now cower in fear before the Cult of the Eaten Mate!

ruleslawyer

Yet again, the drow exception swallowing the rule...

Why can't we just have the good ol'fashioned female-dominated society and have done with? People don't seem to be complaining about D&D orcs and their sexism.

danzig138

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: lolths mate

Guilt Puppy said:
Now cower in fear before the Cult of the Eaten Mate!
While I don't care for the idea of a specific male deity, I like the sound of the Cult of the Eaten...Renegade males paying homage to all of the males consumed over the eons by Lolth. Maybe they believe that every time a new generation of Drow is born, Lolth has to consume a male, and they draw spiritual power from this concept. A very informal, fairly unorganized pseudo-religion.

Meek_Monkey1

First Post
Not all male drow are downtrodden. Not all drow cites are run by females. There are other drow gods besides Loth. There is a issue of dragon magazine that should help you sort out any misconseptions about the drow. Can't remember the issue now though...

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads