• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Something, I think, Every GM/DM Should Read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariosto

First Post
The MM has no "Prone" entry in the glossary.

The DMG has this important advice on page 40:
"Dispensing Information" (page 26) discusses the information you should give your players that is most important in combat encounters: Avoid unfairly hitting them with "Gotcha!" abilities, be sure to communicate conditions and states, and alert them to possible dangers and hazards in their environment.

I would consider it fair warning to be informed that I cannot knock a snake prone whenever happened to be the first occasion the question arose.

However, a 4e DM cognizant of this thread might find it a good idea to give the answer as an "F.A.Q." before it actually gets asked.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Well, of course, but when that evidence is real world snake behavior, it would be foolish not to.

Hrm..

Up until now, I thought we were supposed to ignore real snake behaviour in favour of the Defined Terms of the game. Now that the Defined Terms seem to not be what they were thought to be, we are back to thinking in terms of real snake behaviour.

That is a form of progress, I guess. :erm:

So, now I assume that you agree with me, that the benchmark is the expected outcome in the fiction, rather than, say, 4e's definition of Prone?

:lol:

But do you tailor your game to the particular players at the table or do you run a game where the player in seat #1 is irrelevant. It could Bob or it could be number 3 on the waiting list?

I run a game where the players are largely irrelevant to the backdrop, but the focus of actual play is determined by the players through their choices. So if, say, one player is a powergamer who loves to do cool things, the onus is on him to do those cool things within the framework provided. Likewise, if you want to be quirky, you can be quirky. The background reacts to you, but it doesn't exist to serve your needs.

As I said, I run games I enjoy running. I run games that I would enjoy playing in. And I guess, if I misunderstood what you were trying to say earlier, that I really don't understand what your "gamer utopia" comment was supposed to convey. At my table, we all contribute to the fun. We certainly don't say, "Sorry Bob, but since you're the DM, it's time for you to sacrifice your fun for ours!"

(And, although I have lots of potential players, none of them is simply "Player #3". And all of them have to accept that mature people contributing to each others' fun must be willing to give to everyone at the table, as well as take. I find that, without exception, a group of people who are willing to give create far more than is possible than with a group of people who are focused on their own needs first. YMMV.)

I think you will find that there is no sacrifice involved in enabling the fun of players who are also enabling your fun.

FWIW, I think my system works fine. I run the best game I can, and that requires running a game I enjoy, in a manner that I enjoy, with people whose company I enjoy, and who also enjoy the game as it is run. There is no shortage of such people, so it's winning all around IME.

Again, YMMV.

RC

RedTonic

First Post
I like pre-empting those questions, but it's not always possible to foresee such weird and arguably random issues. I think a reasonable player with a decent relationship with the DM should be able to trust that said DM isn't trying to screw them with a given call, and on the DM's side, that call should be rational and follow a consistent pattern with other calls and explicitly followed rules. The DM is the ultimate arbiter of the rules, but the players are the final authority on whether a game survives... Vote with your feet, as they say.

The Shaman

First Post
I run a game where the players are largely irrelevant to the backdrop, but the focus of actual play is determined by the players through their choices.
"You must spread some Experience Points . . ." - yeah, yeah, what else is new? :p

Would someone please plant an XP on RC for me?

That's exactly how I approach things as well.

pemerton

Legend
The problem, IMHO, is how often the "powers" of a particular ruleset clash with the fiction.
This seems to me to beg the question. Knocking a snake prone doesn't clash with the fiction - it just requires a little more work for everyone at the table to work out exactly what the content of the fiction is.

That's part of a fortune-in-the-middle mechanic - the content of the fiction is negotiated among the game participants as one aspect of the process of action resolution.

at no point during a battle does a dm "OWE" the players an explination of why something did or did not happen.
Well, as Ariosto and I have both noted upthread, the 4e DMG expresses a slightly different view on this - that the GM is obliged to inform players of the effect on action resolution of a creature's powers, traits etc.

This hasn't caused me any difficulties, because I've always been happy to inform players of the relevant mechanical traits of creatures they interact with - for example, if in Rolemaster a PC hit a monster with crit reduction, I will not only apply the crit redution but iniform the player that I have applied it.

Furthermore, 4e has fairly well-defined rules for using knowledge skills to learn a monster's skills and powers before engaging it. This provides players with a further opportunity to learn if a snake has the Immune to Prone trait or a magical Scale of Ventral Righting.

I will NEVER say it is possible for a punch to knock a snake prone.
Fine - although I personally don't see why a superheroic punch to the head of a coiled snake couldn't hurt it sufficiently that it falls on its side, or in an uncordinated heap, and requires a move action to right itself.

But in any event, if a player at your table envisages his/her PC performing such a superheroic punch, and then is informed by you that such a thing isn't possible, are you saying that you wouldn't let them redescribe their unarmed attack as a grab and flip of the snake?

My own view is that a GM who is going to be liberal in modifying the application of the rules on the fly so as to defeat some player expectations ought at least to allow player takebacks or rewrites in response.

the actual fact in most games is that the referee does indeed retain the power to say, "You can't do that!" over any use of "fate points" or the like. In the remainder, why should there be a referee in the first place?

Again, if you want to play such a thoroughly different game then suit yourself. Complaining that D & D is not it seems a bit silly.
First, I don't agree that the referee retains the power you describe in most Fate Point games. Where is the rule to that effect in OGL Conan, for example? Or in HARP? Or HeroWars/Quest?

Second, it's fairly obvious why you would continue to have a GM in a typical game in which the players enjoy some authority via Fate Chips. The GM has authority over the content of the bulk of the setting, and hence to a significant extent over backstory and situation. Plus the GM has a whole lot of responsibility in relation to action resolution. All this is independent of whether or not the GM has authority also over when and how players can spend their Fate Points.

A practical example - 4e! Which has a very clear role for the GM, even though (in my view) that role does not include vetoing player use of powers. That role is stated in the Rules Compendium in this way (at p 9):

The Dungeon Master controls the pace of the story and referees the action along the way. Every Dungeons & Dragons game needs a DM. The DM has several parts to play in the game.

*Adventure Builder: The DM creates adventures, or selects published ones, for the other players to experience.

*Narrator: The DM sets the pace of the story and presents the various challenges and encounters that the other players must overcome.

*Monster Controller: The DM controls the monsters that the adventurers confront, choosing the monsters' actions and rolling dice for them.

*Referee: The DM decides how to apply the game rules and guides the story. If the rules don't cover a situation, the DM determines what to do. At times, the DM might alter or even ignore the result of a die roll if doing so benefits the story.​

I'm not a big fan of the "licence to fudge" - and part of the strength of 4e design is that it works, in my experience, without fudging. Otherwise, this fits pretty much with what I said above: the GM is in charge of backstory and of establishing situation, and also plays an important role in action resolution, both by controlling the monsters/NPCs and by adjudicating the rules. All this can happen perfectly well and coherently without supposing that the GM has any special power to disallow players' use of their PCs' powers.

(As an aside - I'm not complaining about D&D. 4e is the game I'm looking for. D&D has already become the game that I want. That's why I play it.)

if having to spend a "Fate Chip" to use your Power will satisfy you, then go ahead and suggest that to your DM.
I'm not sure which side of the debate this comment is meant to support, but I want to reiterate - in 4e, using a power is, in part, spending a Fate Point. It is shifting narrative control from GM to player. That is part of the game rules.

DMing is a big, largely thankless, job and bears most of the burden for making a good game that is engaging to 3-5+ completely different personalities. If something has to give, it's almost always going to fall on the DM.
I don't find GMing particularly thankless or burdensome, but precisely because of this agree with your view about who should give when it comes to the narration of PC powers. Because of the GM's virtually overwhelming power in terms of situation design - even in a pure sandbox, the GM has overwhelming power in terms of populating the world and determining the motivations of its inhabitants, which sets what we might call the "possible situation space" for that world - it strike me as extremely unlikely that the GM is ever going to find the game going in an unenjoyable or uninteresting direction.

When this does happen - eg the GM who wanted to GM Dragonlance but has players who want to play Villagers: The Massacring - then the solution isn't to assert more GM power but to settle the underlying social conflict.

TheUltramark

First Post
I like pre-empting those questions, but it's not always possible to foresee such weird and arguably random issues. I think a reasonable player with a decent relationship with the DM should be able to trust that said DM isn't trying to screw them with a given call, and on the DM's side, that call should be rational and follow a consistent pattern with other calls and explicitly followed rules. The DM is the ultimate arbiter of the rules, but the players are the final authority on whether a game survives... Vote with your feet, as they say.

YES YES YES
the whole point of this is how do you handle the rarest of the rare scenarios
trust is at the very core of all of this discussion, if you think "the dm is out to get me" or "the dm is unfair to me" then for goodness sake, find a dm that you DO trust.
the way we play is obviously out of whack with what most people would call true d&d, and certainly it is a far cry from the way anyone else plays - but - not only does it work for us, it has worked for us for so long that it is second nature. If a dm says "NO" - there is almost always some reason, and at minimum 95% of the time it leads to even more enjoyment for the group as a whole.

pemerton

Legend
I run a game where the players are largely irrelevant to the backdrop, but the focus of actual play is determined by the players through their choices.
My approach is quite different from this. The backdrop is designed with the players and their PCs in mind. Actual play then determines exactly how that backdrop becomes relevant, and changes/develops over the course of the campaign.

Some illustrative examples from play:

*I came up with a backstory about how the minotaur tomb was infused with Orcus-ness - which backstory then affected in various ways how the adventure in the tomb unfolded - because the PC party contained three Raven Queen worshippers;

*I decided pretty spontaneously to introduce the idea that the dwarves in the region were once servants of, and tutored by, the minotaurs, entirely because I thought it would be something interesting for the player of the dwarf PC to engage with;

*I introduced a story about the rise and fall of various noble families into the backstory of a different campaign because two of the PCs were cousins, both samurai from a family down on its luck, and part of the goal of the players was to reverse that luck over the course of the game.

It's a very long time since I designed a scenario, or developed the backstory for a campaign, without thinking about how the players and their PCs will fit into it and make it their own.

RedTonic

First Post
I think it's also important to give a new DM or an unfamiliar DM a fair shake--if you don't like a couple of decisions, stick around a little unless the type of game (and the people in it) aren't to your liking. Give constructive feedback. Say what you like and don't like and give it some time. We've probably all been part of a new DM's campaign, and I bet most of us have played in games where we haven't played with the DM before (who may be quite an experienced DM, or not!). Cut them some slack (and cut yourself some slack, too), relax, try to have fun.

Ultimately, I don't think it's useful to argue the DM's specific calls, especially if one's central argument is that it isn't what you would do (or isn't what another DM does). That type of tack usually leads to the DM stiffening up and becoming defensive, and not without reason. Obviously if you just can't find or make enough common ground to enjoy the DM's style, then yeah, it's probably time to leave the game.

If you don't give a DM a chance to build trust with you, though, you're mainly hurting yourself--fewer chances to join potentially fun games and meet potentially cool people. Trust is a two way street; most of us feel that the DM should trust our judgment (even if we're a little biased ;)), after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads