• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Something that made me mad about the latest book.

Holy Bovine

First Post
You mean like "macetail behemoth" and "spiketail behemoth"?

I'm glad they kept the real names.

Yup! I agree they should have changed the spiketail behemoth (they couldn't come up with something other than 'behemoth' - buy a thesaurus!) to something else but the macetail is just fine to me. The latin stuff has no place in my fantasy games and actually drags people out of immersion, imo.

Henry

Autoexreginated
You're talking about one of the argument points in the Edition Wars that went on FREAKIN' FOREVER. :)

"It's a dumb name." "No, it's an awesome name." "Is not" "Is too!"

AAAARGH!

Me, immersion be darned, I still like the real or pop culture names because they are easier to hang a mental picture on. Stereotypes are bad in real life, but they're darned useful in literature and gaming.

For that matter, a brontosaurus doesn't even belong in the list, if you want to inject fact into the picture. :)

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Yup! I agree they should have changed the spiketail behemoth (they couldn't come up with something other than 'behemoth' - buy a thesaurus!) to something else but the macetail is just fine to me. The latin stuff has no place in my fantasy games and actually drags people out of immersion, imo.

It does? How about succubus? That's from Latin. Behemoth comes from Hebrew, filtered through Latin as well.

Though, really, ankylosaur comes from Greek - like chimera, medusa. So what makes a word or name of a creature sufficiently immersive and another not?

Holy Bovine

First Post
It does? How about succubus? That's from Latin. Behemoth comes from Hebrew, filtered through Latin as well.

Though, really, ankylosaur comes from Greek - like chimera, medusa. So what makes a word or name of a creature sufficiently immersive and another not?

See succubus, chimera, medusa - those were names given to fantasy creatures by latin/greek/whatever writers and storytellers and sound like it. Tyranosaurus Rex sounds like it was named by a committee of scientists.

I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything - this is my opinion and experience speaking - no one elses'.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads