• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Soneillon. Part 2. (Updated 10/7)

I'll try and address some questions quickly - I should go to work at some point, though :)

I'm curious to know how much of the NPC interplay is vocalized for the players' benefit,

Some, but not all. A lot is filled in afterwards.

It is also appropriate, as in many beliefs system, some have found enlightenment under a tree.

This wasn't intentional - in fact I didn't realize the connection until you pointed it out to me! Archetypes tend to have a habit of popping up even if you don't mean them to.

I realise that D&D alignments are farcically inadequete when discussing a religious and philosphical system as detailed as you have for your setting, but what result does the new Orthodoxy have on the alignment of Oronthan?

Good question! I'm not sure I can answer it, other than to say that in Tramst's stat block, his alignment is listed as 'special.'

Now, per the Interdict, aren't outsiders prevented from entering Wyre?

The Celestial Interdict prevents demons, devils - the 'fallen' - from entering the Prime without help: i.e. conjuration or summoning. Arch-fiends can circumvent it to a certain extent - presumably with Oronthon's permission/knowledge.

quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Soneillon spoke two dreadful words which echoed across Afqithan. The outer shell of the prismatic sphere quivered in sympathetic vibration, as the magical lattice of the demiplane was stretched closer to its dilational limit.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, epic magic can impact demiplanes through its usage? That seems to further emphasize (to me anyway) the difference between a demiplane/alternate PMP and Wyre as the real PMP. Would epic spells create similar aftershocks within Wyre itself?

I had a long discussion with Dan about this. He compared it to dropping a stone into a bucket of water, as opposed to dropping a stone in an ocean. In a finite, bounded space such as Afqithan (albeit, a reticulated, non-Euclidian one) the effect of magic on the fabric of reality is more pronounced. If one were to apply a kind of pseudo-science to it, then it would be possible to say that - vibrationally - Afqithan is already very highly strung. Magic is everywhere.

Enough magic might make it 'snap' altogether - forcing it to dissolve, rejoin with Faerie, be sucked into the Plane of Shadow etc. Note that we are talking a lot of magic here - epic spells with a DC in the 10s of thousands, maybe.

A finite space can dilate to accomodate magical effects, and then return to its natural vibrational state.

Lastly, Tramst mentioned a mechanical clock as a gift to the feys. What is Wyre's approximate technology level? That seems more advanced than I had been imagining.

Largely early Renaissance, with a few quirks thrown in.

Sepulchrave II said:
[...] In a finite, bounded space such as Afqithan (albeit, a reticulated, non-Euclidian one) the effect of magic on the fabric of reality is more pronounced. If one were to apply a kind of pseudo-science to it, then it would be possible to say that - vibrationally - Afqithan is already very highly strung. Magic is everywhere.

Enough magic might make it 'snap' altogether - forcing it to dissolve, rejoin with Faerie, be sucked into the Plane of Shadow etc. [...]
There is an intriguing similarity between this idea and one that occurs at the climax of module I12, Egg of the Phoenix, wherein the PCs battle the Elemental Princes in the "pocket plane" of Sepulchre (!). If either the heroes or the villains use too much magical energy (counted by spell levels) during the battle... *BOOM*

There is a little bit more information about I12 at The Acaeum.

Inez Hull

First Post
Good question! I'm not sure I can answer it, other than to say that in Tramst's stat block, his alignment is listed as 'special.'

What is the meaning of Saizhan then, is it a change in how Oronthan's nature is to be understood by the faithful, or a change in Oronthan himself? Also what happens to the dualistic elements of the old orthodoxy - presumably Eadric can still detect and smite evil, how does this fit with the mysticism of Saizhan?

Last edited:

ForceUser

Explorer
Inez Hull said:

What is the meaning of Saizhan then, is it a change in how Oronthan's nature is to be understood by the faithful, or a change in Oronthan himself? Also what happens to the dualistic elements of the old orthodoxy - presumably Eadric can still detect and smite evil, how does this fit with the mysticism of Saizhan?
I have a limited understanding of such things, but I was under the impression that Saizhan existed to allow for different points of view within Oronthanism.

Felix

Explorer
I was reading through the whole saga, again, and I realized something. Perhaps it's been noted before, but I'll feel special by posting it anyway.

Remember when Nwm was looking for Hullu? He talked to one Tunthi sage who said "I asked my grandfather if your Green was my Green, or if they were different. He said they were neither the same, nor different, nor both, nor neither."

Kinda like Tramst's "Standard fourfold negation, eh?" So is the Green, the Tunthi grandfathers, Oronthon, et al, all the same being? Or do they just have the same opaque way of explaining things?

MTR

First Post
Felix,
All of them are not the same, nor different, nor both, nor neither :)
Personally, if I was invited to join this campaign I'd play somebody with no interest in religion. The headaches would be too much.

Edit:
Or at least somebody with no interest in clarity in religion

Last edited:

Dantalian

First Post
I am stepping out of the shadows to add my voice to the volumes of praise heaped upon this story hour. Words cannot begin to describe the breathtaking vision that birthed the world of Wyre. Sep, I am in unabashed awe of your storytelling prowess.

Grodog, would you mind adding me to the list of those requesting your emailed compilations?

robbie.bryant@pcfcorp.com

Remove ads