• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Sorcerer Changes

jgsugden

Legend
….However.
I don't know if anyone suggested this since I only read the first pages of this thread, but if we really want to redesign the class and make it vastly different from all other casters... then how about removing the spells known entirely? What if sorcerers could cast any spell in their list whenever they wanted. No knowing, no preparing, no nothing. You just pick a spell and cast it, provided you have a slot of the respective level. Boom. Nobody will ever complain about a sorcerer being too weak, ever again...
While such a design might be possible, I would suggest it be used on a new class. Sorcerer has a schtick - less choice, but more powerful delivery. They augment their spells with metamagic to be the strongest spellcaster, but they have a narrower selection of spells. Anything they do to change that basic concept kills the "sorcerer of old" and creates something new. Nothing wrong with that, mind you, but they'd be better off giving it a new name (mage?) to avoid people complaining.

However, I have played every class expect artificer, and I've played them all quite a bit. While there are some classes I could have made more efficient, every single PC I played (with the exception of one very intentional doof) was effective and would be a leader in terms of contribution in any point buy party that followed the main rules.

There is nothing wrong with any of the classes. I'm not saying they could not be improved with a few tweaks, but that does not make them wrong.

Remove ads