D&D 5E Sorcerer - No Spell List

LapBandit

First Post
I was thinking about the Sorcerer spell list and something struck me. They are supposed to be innate casters who produce magical effects from their will. Why are they constrained to a spell list? I'm considering doing away with their spell list and letting them choose from any spell list except Warlock. I've always viewed them as the most versatile spellcaster but their spell list was so constrained that they were gimped. Why would a natural caster have a spell list at all? They are literally using their force of will to create magical effects, it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't take the shape of the magical effect they wish.

What do you think?

EDIT: After looking at the spell lists, I'd likely restrict them from using any class-only spells, not just Warlock. Any spell castable by more than one class would be fair game.

Last edited:

Satyrn

First Post
I think you'd get more of the feel you're aiming for if you had sorcerers without spells even, and instead used a system that let them shape raw magic in some more informal way.

It'd be more work, though.

Gwarok

Explorer
This is pretty similar to how I treat Sorcerers in my campaign. They are more like spellcasting mutants, they have a theme to their powers, like mind control, or summoning, or fire/ice magic. I let them choose from any caster list if it falls within their "Theme", and also to pick from the normal Sorcerer list for things that are outside of it.

Tony Vargas

Legend
EDIT: After looking at the spell lists, I'd likely restrict them from using any class-only spells, not just Warlock. Any spell castable by more than one class would be fair game.
Spells that come from a source, like a deity (Cleric, Paladin) or patron (Warlock) it'd make sense might not be available to the 'natural caster.' Wizard & Bard spells, OTOH, should probably be fair game. And, if I let go of the implied 'arcane source' baggage, I suppose Druid/Ranger spells shouldn't be out of bounds for the natural caster, either. ;)

I also like the idea of a given Sorcerer sub-class sub-sub-class (Dragon type, for instance), or even just a given Sorcerer having a unique spell list based on the nature of their magic.

Remove ads