• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Sorcerer (Playtest 7)

Aldarc

Legend
Yes. Thematically this difference is as great as that between wizards and clerics. The thematic confusion is sorcerer vs wizard and cleric vs warlock. Arguably also nature cleric vs druid.

Mechanically, of course, the Warlock is the one furthest from anyone else. And as I've said thematically the wizard is a sorcerer subclass - and the wizard subclasses are all very meh and none of them really inspire people that I've seen. Even bladesinger.
I know there is zero chance of this for One D&D as a result of the enormous traction of "tradition," but I wish that WotC would take a step back and critically reexamine what archetypes are mechanically or thematically needed for D&D for much the same reason as you mention here. I don't think that the whole "where you get magic from" is really strong enough of a thematic difference if there is only marginal mechanical difference: e.g., spells known vs. spells prepared. IMHO, there are more robust thematic archetypes that D&D could use for its classes. 🤷‍♂️

I'd be fine with 'where you get your magic from' as a concept, if they'd actually followed through on that promise. Sorcerers should be the people who had time to do something other than study magic all day, yet curiously they are still stuck with d6 hitdice, limited skill selection, limited armor/weapons, the same VSM rules... If it follows everything wizards do, it's just a wizard in a party hat.

Some people think wizard should be a sorcerer subclass. Others think sorcerer should be a wizard subclass.

How about putting the two into a 'Magimix', and then turning the resulting smoothie into a new 'Mage' class which replaces both.

(also that then opens up a class spot for warlord to return).

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Some people think wizard should be a sorcerer subclass. Others think sorcerer should be a wizard subclass.

How about putting the two into a 'Magimix', and then turning the resulting smoothie into a new 'Mage' class which replaces both.

Not going to happen in the world of "evergreen" D&D. Not that I would mind overly much if it did. However, if you really want that you are going to have to look to third parties.
I initially though that I would have not much interest in MCDMs new game. Matt Colville and I have very different ideas of what is fun at high levels. Matt's recent video have be intrigued and I will be interested in the final outcome. Not sure if I will be interested enough to buy it, that remains to be seen.

Remathilis

Legend

I don't think it would work out the way you want it to, considering the warlord was smoothied into the fighter and you can see how well that turned out .

Horwath

Legend

Warlord is just battlemaster fighter:

Maneuvers:
Bait and switch
Commanders strike
Commanding presence
Distracting strike
Goading attack
Rally

Feats:
Inspiring leader

Warlord is just battlemaster fighter:

Maneuvers:
Bait and switch
Commanders strike
Commanding presence
Distracting strike
Goading attack
Rally

Feats:
Inspiring leader
Warlord was capable of sitting back and never swinging a weapon for an entire campaign, while still massively contributing to the party.

Sure battlemaster handles the martial end of warlord ok, but it's completely incapable of being a lazylord.

you can always blow all maneuver dice on Rally
Cool. That's one bonus action a turn. And a few turns in you will run out of manoeuvre dice and be a regular fighter. And commanders strike is awful beyond belief. The costs one of your attacks, your bonus action, and your allies reaction. To give them a single attack.

It's funny how people want casters split into every possible variety, while every martial suggestion is "that's a fighter subclass".

Remove ads