Spelljammer Space Clowns Are A Thing In Spelljammer

WotC's Chris Perkins discusses Spelljammer's space clowns in a new video.

WotC's Chris Perkins discusses Spelljammer's space clowns in a new video.

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 5.31.33 PM.png

Dire Bare

Legend
Gen X here, I don't remember clowns being particularly scary as I was growing up. Other than Pennywise the clown from Stephen King's It and Bart Simpson's fear of the scary clown bed Homer made for him.
As others have pointed out, coulrophobia and "bad clowns" goes way back . . . but it wasn't until the 80s when you and I were growing up when the "bad clown" trope began to overtake good (normal) clowns. We grew up during the transition, when both types of clowns were depicted regularly in the media. Today . . . its mostly evil clowns all the time, with those who still actually perform as clowns complaining about the shift in public perception.

Growing up in the 80s . . . Poltergeist, Pennywise and the Killer Klowns from Outer Space pretty much did it for me! Clowns are a big nope for me, although not to the point of a phobia.

Dire Bare

Legend
Juggalo class confirmed!
Juggalos can be creepy opponents, but are rather easily defeated. They are constantly under the influence of a mix of narcotic substances, and take pride in not understanding how basic concepts, like magnetism, work . . . it's all magic and mystery to them, leaving them vulnerable to clever adventurers.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
As others have pointed out, coulrophobia and "bad clowns" goes way back . . . but it wasn't until the 80s when you and I were growing up when the "bad clown" trope began to overtake good (normal) clowns. We grew up during the transition, when both types of clowns were depicted regularly in the media. Today . . . its mostly evil clowns all the time, with those who still actually perform as clowns complaining about the shift in public perception.

Growing up in the 80s . . . Poltergeist, Pennywise and the Killer Klowns from Outer Space pretty much did it for me! Clowns are a big nope for me, although not to the point of a phobia.
I never got the fear of clowns but then again I have a high tolerance for the uncanny valley.
what is so scary about them?

MGibster

Legend
Did you ever come clean with that woman?

"Hey, there's been something I've been meaning to confess to you about when we met at the convention years ago . . . ."
I'm having a Roger Rabbit flashback. "Do you remember when I met you as a clown, when I talked just like this?"
As others have pointed out, coulrophobia and "bad clowns" goes way back . . . but it wasn't until the 80s when you and I were growing up when the "bad clown" trope began to overtake good (normal) clowns. We grew up during the transition, when both types of clowns were depicted regularly in the media.
Yeah, I wasn't arguing that scary clowns didn't exist, just that the idea wasn't as prevelant as it is today. We didn't have news stories about mysterous clown sightings at night back then like we've had the last few years. The reason Joker, Pennywise, and Killer Klowns from Outerspace worked at the time is because they're playing against type. Maybe not so much the Joker as originally written.

I never got the fear of clowns but then again I have a high tolerance for the uncanny valley.
what is so scary about them?
Have you ever seen a clown? They're odd looking, they're loud, and they behave in a strange manner. If you're a child it can be unnerving to see what appears to be an adult behaving like a clown. For those who have a legitimate phobia, I don't know, a phobia isn't exactly rational to begin with and I don't know if there's a good explanation.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I'm having a Roger Rabbit flashback. "Do you remember when I met you as a clown, when I talked just like this?"

Yeah, I wasn't arguing that scary clowns didn't exist, just that the idea wasn't as prevelant as it is today. We didn't have news stories about mysterous clown sightings at night back then like we've had the last few years. The reason Joker, Pennywise, and Killer Klowns from Outerspace worked at the time is because they're playing against type. Maybe not so much the Joker as originally written.

Have you ever seen a clown? They're odd looking, they're loud, and they behave in a strange manner. If you're a child it can be unnerving to see what appears to be an adult behaving like a clown. For those who have a legitimate phobia, I don't know, a phobia isn't exactly rational to begin with and I don't know if there's a good explanation.
right, so a clown is any different from the rest of humanity in any way that does not already apply to the rest of us as we all look wrong and act wrong compared to what was supposed to be?

the only phobia I have is pain and myself both are rational.

Voadam

Legend
Clowns. White faces of death. Features that look human but exaggerated enough to hit the uncanny valley. Painted on smiles that can be lies. Many see them as enjoyable and funny, which makes it even worse for those who don't.

MarkB

Legend
Clowns. White faces of death. Features that look human but exaggerated enough to hit the uncanny valley. Painted on smiles that can be lies. Many see them as enjoyable and funny, which makes it even worse for those who don't.
There's also that the humour in a lot of clown performances is of the cruel, pranksterish type, and there's something of a feeling of enforced fun, especially with clown entertainers at parties.

Remove ads

Remove ads