Spelljammer Space Clowns Are A Thing In Spelljammer

WotC's Chris Perkins discusses Spelljammer's space clowns in a new video.

WotC's Chris Perkins discusses Spelljammer's space clowns in a new video.

Screen Shot 2022-08-02 at 5.31.33 PM.png

MGibster

Legend
I dunno if there's any generation after Boomers (or maybe even Greatest) where it isn't a thing, so I'm unsurprised to hear this, though man, sorry Gen Z had to join the club.
Gen X here, I don't remember clowns being particularly scary as I was growing up. Other than Pennywise the clown from Stephen King's It and Bart Simpson's fear of the scary clown bed Homer made for him.

Reynard

Legend
Gen X here, I don't remember clowns being particularly scary as I was growing up. Other than Pennywise the clown from Stephen King's It and Bart Simpson's fear of the scary clown bed Homer made for him.
And, you know, the cinematic inspiration for this aspect of Spelljammer...

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
My point was that EVERY generation has had scary clowns. It isn't a "Gen Z" thing.
My personal experience is that the "scary clown" trope is somewhat more prevalent in Gen Z than in earlier generations. If you ask kids to describe the stereotypical "monster under the bed" or "monster hiding in the woods", they tend to default to the clown trope. My younger kids don't even realize there's a connection between clowns and circuses, they just view them as a generic boogeyman.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

Dont recall Problem Child?

Reynard

Legend
My personal experience is that the "scary clown" trope is somewhat more prevalent in Gen Z than in earlier generations. If you ask kids to describe the stereotypical "monster under the bed" or "monster hiding in the woods", they tend to default to the clown trope. My younger kids don't even realize there's a connection between clowns and circuses, they just view them as a generic boogeyman.
The trope has been everywhere forever.

Maybe you guys just largely invented/popularized it and then inflicted it on my generation? They were certainly regarded as scary/creepy when I was growing up (born 1978 so an "Xennial" or "Elder Millennial" lol). Doesn't help that in the UK we have Punch & Judy and stuff of course, and that's obviously creepy as hell. Gacy got arrested in '78 I note.

From the trope it looks like it's been around in some form for a long time, but really takes off in the late '70s and '80s - Monster Clown - TV Tropes

Remove ads

Remove ads