• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Space Opera d20: Which game is best?

Which Space Opera d20 Game is the best?

• Star Wars (wait for revised edition in May, though!)

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Fading Suns (Holistic Design)

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Dragonstar (FFG)

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • They are all good; buy 'em all and combine the best parts of each into one awesome game!

Votes: 13 19.4%

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
I'm going to start up a space opera d20 game soon. Which game is best? Let the controversy begin!

PS: This is my first poll, I hope I did it right! :D

Last edited:

Psychotic Dreamer

First Post
Personally I'm of the opinion they are all good. I don't have Fading Suns, but I have heard such good things about it I beleive them. :)

I like the way DS handles Vehicle/Starship combat and I love the Pilot and Mechanist classes. From Star Wars I would steal the Noble class, Scoundrel class (maybe) and maybe the Class Defense system. It depends if you want to go for a lots of action and not many people wearing armor, or want the heavily armored type. Granted you could not use the defense system and not have much in the way of armor. If you want it to be real dangerous.

Kamard

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:

Um, what does that mean? Lots of fat ladies in viking costumes singing? :D

Members of Brother Battle or House Harkonnen?
:eek:

did I say Harkonnen? I meant Decados. My bad.

:p

I don't have Fading Suns d20, but I do want to get it eventually.

I do have 1st edition of their original system, and was quite impressed by its setting.

Psion

Adventurer
DS isn't QUITE space opera. SW is good too, but very different, but I wouldn't mix them. It all depends on whether you want space fantasy or the SW setting.

UD

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:

Define "ropey." My poor Yankee brain just don't get it. :D
As inthere are areas which are a bit rough, need more work on. Not quite all there.

I have no idea where the phrase came from... but hey Im British! It could mean a hundred different things across my small island.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Fading Suns is more doom and gloom game. It is dark and brooding.

DragonStar still has to come out with the galaxy book but has the feel of a space opera game and gives me the greatest flexability as a DM to design my campaign. I think DS ofers the best chance to build a good space opera game. I would love to see small bookets in the traveller make on sectors, planets, and such.

Star Wars - well, you get trapped in another person's ideas and vision and sometimes that is a conflick with what you as a DM have planned.

Traveller d20? Not out (yet) but the last few versions just have not been up to what this game was.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads