• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Space Opera d20: Which game is best?

Which Space Opera d20 Game is the best?

• Star Wars (wait for revised edition in May, though!)

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Fading Suns (Holistic Design)

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Dragonstar (FFG)

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • They are all good; buy 'em all and combine the best parts of each into one awesome game!

Votes: 13 19.4%

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
OK, so it's supposed to fix the mechanics, but not add any of the new stuff. <sigh> Maybe that's as good as I can expect.

It sure is. :p They want you to buy the new version ($40 is $40, after all), but at least they are giving you an option to opt-out by putting out the free pdf upgrade/errata.

Kaptain_Kantrip

First Post
Anyone know if the bonus material from Dark Side Sourcebook, Alien Anthology, etc., will mean we won't have to buy those books anymore? I know Alien Anthology is OOP, so I'm assuming all the imoprtant stuff is being reprinted in SW2.

LostSoul

Adventurer
Is there any web site out there that I can get more information on Fading Suns? If it's anything like DUNE, I should enjoy it.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
You might try Holistic's web site for more info....

http://www.fadingsuns.com

or

http://www.fadingsuns.com/FS/FSmain.htm

I always liked the game setting, but thought the original rules sucked.

Like I said earlier, it actually reminds me of an opera. Very Italian, like in the days of Machiavelli. Holistic is an odd company - they also make computer games, one of which was the fairly popular (and good), Machiavelli: The Prince. That influenced the design of Fading Suns, I think.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
And

http://www.fadingsuns.com/FSd20/FSd20.html for their d20 page.

But I was going to say, apparently the d20 version of Traveller was held up because of the cover painting for it. They got some famous artist to do it. But it's apparently done, and it will be out in April or so.

The funny thing is (I thought) that the cover painting wasn't very good, especially since you don't normally think of people in the future as wearing Hawaiian shirts. Though after looking at the picture more carefully (and close up), it's actually very very detailed. Just sort of bland looking from a distance.

What's also funny (kinda) is that Holistic puts out deckplans for spaceships, some of which have a Traveller logo on them (why, I don't know). So it's somewhat ironic that we are now seeing d20 versions of both games.

Shadowdancer

First Post
I'd encourage anyone who is considering a d20 space opera campaign to wait until the Traveller d20 comes out before deciding. Traveller is classic space opera, and past versions of the game have been very flexible.

We ran an "Aliens" style campaign with Traveller once, in which the characters were Imperial Marines searching out nests of Aliens-type creatures before the infestation could spread.

We once ran a purely trade-driven campaign in which the characters were building a fleet of far traders and establishing new trade routes.

We ran an exploration campaign in unknown space -- or at least parts of space for which the information had become lost. We were really rediscovering lost colonies on long-forgotten worlds.

We ran a pirates campaign, raiding ships and settlements.

We ran a campaign in which the players were members of a rock band traveling around, performing on various planets. But the players also were spies, disguised as a rock band, trying to uncover plans for a revolution against the empire.

Point is, Traveller is set up to handle just about anything you want to do. It can even handle a Fading Suns/Dune-type campaign.

hong

WotC's bitch
Shadowdancer said:
I'd encourage anyone who is considering a d20 space opera campaign to wait until the Traveller d20 comes out before deciding. Traveller is classic space opera, and past versions of the game have been very flexible.

It'll be REALLY interesting to see how d20 Traveller compares to GURPS Traveller....

Tsyr

Explorer
Of course, any of those (except maybe that rock band... but you could replace "rockband" with just about anything) would be perfectly at hime in Fading Suns. Fading Suns is just a setting, nothing says what type of campagin you have to run.

Wild Karrde

First Post
Kaptain_Kantrip said:
Anyone know if the bonus material from Dark Side Sourcebook, Alien Anthology, etc., will mean we won't have to buy those books anymore? I know Alien Anthology is OOP, so I'm assuming all the imoprtant stuff is being reprinted in SW2.

Although I don't know for sure it seems like it's gonna be mostly updated mechanics, expanded races and EP2 info. Which means No dark side source book or alien anthology. I'm betting they'll throw a few aliens in there but not a whole lot. And of course they'll talk about the dark side but there's no way they can fit all the info. from the sourcebook.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads