• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Space Shuttle Columbia lost?

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
Eternalknight said:
Actualy CNN siad that it is VERY unlikely it was, due to the altitude of the shuttle when it happened.

I'm glad. I didn't turn on the TV until I read this thread, so I apparently missed that.

This is a sad day.

nHammer

First Post
Buttercup said:
I hope to god it wasn't a terrorist attack. So far though, I haven't heard CNN or Fox say anything even remotely suggesting that it was.

Not likely. The only people that have the ability to shoot it down in that situation is the USA. It was to high, and going to fast.

Though there hasn't been an offical announcment, it is believe that Pres. Bush will make a statement soon.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
nHammer said:
Though there hasn't been an offical announcment, it is believe that Pres. Bush will make a statement soon.
a CNNer just said that President Bush (who was on his way to Camp David) is headed back to the White House. she didn't expect a briefing until this afternoon...

Sixchan

First Post
7 people. Important Experiments.
Sypathies go out to the families of the Astronauts.

Some of my friends at the University had experiments up there too, and it'll be bad for them. Some had spoken with the team, and I'm sure it will be hard for them too.

This is indeed a tragedy that will probably have some dramatic repercussions on the space program, much like the Challenger explosion in 1986.

The shuttle was in the second most difficult and dangerous portion of its flight envelope, reentry (only launch is more dangerous). I expect it will be some time until NASA is able to sort out more details.

This brings to 17 the number of astronauts who have sacrificed their lives on US space missions -- a small number, when one considers the challenge of the conquest of space, but each one a tragedy nevertheless.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads