• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Special Conversion Thread: Dragonets!

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Just noticed you had the SQ listed as venomous blood. That sounds a lot better.

Any other SAs to add? The alchemy bit is probably fine as flavor. Should we put in something about Handle Animal checks and training?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Although intelligent, a blue dragonet requires training before it can bear a rider in combat. A blue dragonet can be trained as if it were a magical beast. To be trained, a blue dragonet must have a friendly attitude toward the trainer (this can be achieved through a successful Diplomacy check). Training a friendly blue dragonet requires six weeks of work and a DC 25 Handle Animal check. Riding a blue dragonet requires an exotic saddle. A blue dragonet can fight while carrying a rider, but the rider cannot also attack unless he or she succeeds on a Ride check.

Blue dragonet eggs are worth x,000 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth x,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,500 gp to rear or train a blue dragonet.

Carrying Capacity: A light load for a blue dragonet is up to x pounds; a medium load, x–xpounds; and a heavy load, x–x pounds.

Although the original text said 1,000 gp for eggs and young, let's look at comparable creatures:

Hippogriff eggs are worth 2,000 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 3,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a hippogriff. (3 HD)

Giant eagle eggs are worth 2,500 gp apiece on the open market, while chicks are worth 4,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a giant eagle. (4 HD)

Giant owl eggs are worth 2,500 gp apiece on the open market, while chicks are worth 4,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,000 gp to rear or train a giant owl. (4 HD)

Griffon eggs are worth 3,500 gp apiece on the open market, while young are worth 7,000 gp each. Professional trainers charge 1,500 gp to rear or train a griffon. (7 HD)

So I'm thinking 3,000 gp for eggs and 5,000 gp for young. Thoughts?

freyar

Yeah, that price sounds about right.

Carrying Capacity is 172 lb. or less, 173-346 lb., and 347-520 lb.

Multiattack and Track for feats?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Those will work.

Treasure type "E" looks like double standard for that CR range to me.

CR is tough. A wyrmling blue dragon is CR 3 with 6 HD, but is only Small. At CR 4, a very young blue dragon has a whopping 9 HD. Its breath weapon is worse than both, and its damage output is better than a wyrmling. Since true dragons are usually under-CR'ed, I'm tempted to go with CR 4. Thoughts?

Advancement: 6-15 HD (Large)?

Blue dragonets are 12 feet long and weigh x pounds.

A 15-foot wyvern weighs around a ton, so maybe 1,500 pounds?

freyar

The closest comparison for CR might be the ankheg at CR 3. I think this is a bit tougher than the ankheg (more HD, breath weapon more often than spit, melee damage a little less), so I think CR 4 is ok, I think. The rest sounds good.

Shade

Monster Junkie
We're missing a few things:

Combat: The dragonet attacks with a bite/claw/claw routine causing 1-6/1-4/1-4 hp damage. Alternatively, it can attack with its tail to cause 2-8 hp constriction damage. If it climbs on top of a fallen foe (on an attack roll of 12+), it can also inflict 1-4 hp clawing damage with each of its hind feet.

Improved grab/constrict with tail?

Rake?

Remove ads