Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes

Shade

Monster Junkie
I gathered up everything we discussed above and added the gold to Homebrews.

We mentioned at one time giving it hide in plain sight. Do we still want to do this?

Other than that, I think we just need to pick its last feat.

Big Mac

Explorer
Shade said:
I gathered up everything we discussed above and added the gold to Homebrews.

Its looking good so far. Although I think the advancement is wrong as it starts at 9 (and they are already 9). I think it should be:

Advancement: 10-18 HD (Medium); 19-27 HD (Large)

Shade said:
We mentioned at one time giving it hide in plain sight. Do we still want to do this?

I think so, although I don't think it should be able to fight while hiding in plain sight.

Shade said:
Other than that, I think we just need to pick its last feat.

It looks that way. I think some sort of speed related feat would be best.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I fixed the advancement line.

Any suggestions on a speedy feat? The only one that comes to mind at non-epic levels is Run. I'm also fine with Cleave.

Here's the standard Hide in Plain Sight ability...

Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A gold silatic can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as it is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a gold silatic can hide itself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. It cannot, however, hide in its own shadow.

Big Mac

Explorer
Shade said:
I fixed the advancement line.

Any suggestions on a speedy feat? The only one that comes to mind at non-epic levels is Run. I'm also fine with Cleave.

Cleave is definately a good one. It is going to give the Gold Silatic a forth attack from time to time and that is a type of speed.

Moving fast, doesn't make as much sense as a feat that grants extra attacks. The reach of a silatic is amazing, so an additional attack (when Cleave kicks in) will threaten a much larger area.

Shade said:
Here's the standard Hide in Plain Sight ability...

Hide in Plain Sight (Su): A gold silatic can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as it is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a gold silatic can hide itself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. It cannot, however, hide in its own shadow.

Hide in Plain Sight was suggested because of gold leaf, wasn't it? I wonder if this would need modification, so that it only worked on flat surfaces.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Cleave it is!

Giving it more thought, I don't think that hide in plain sight is needed. Since all oozes are extremely amorphous and nearly all can make themselves super-thin, it doesn't make sense for the gold to gain an additional ability based off this. Anyone strongly disagree?

Big Mac

Explorer
demiurge1138 said:
I agree with you, Shade.

Yep. Scrap the Hide in Plain Sight. Is this done then?

Can we make the Silver Silatic?

Here is a fairly good page about silver properties.

I vote for:

• Four 25 foot pseudopods - instead of 2 50 foot pseudopods*. (I figure that halving the length of the pseudopods will cancel out a little bit of the extra arm advantage.)
  • Some sort of combat advantage against lycanthropes. (They should count as silvered weapons for damage reduction.)
  • Ability to conduct electricity. Attacks like lightning go through and hit whatever is touching the Silver Silatic. (Or some sort of save to "bounce" electrical attacks.)
  • Ability to conduct heat. Fire and cold attacks go through and hit whatever is touching the Silver Silatic. (Or some sort of save to "bounce" heat/cold attacks.)
  • Highly reflective. Gaze attacks (or beholder eye rays) bounce off of the creature and hit a random creature in the nearby area. (Or some sort of save to "bounce" eye based attacks.)
  • Argyria: A Silver Silatic's metal digesting juices contain a chemical that permanantly changes the colour of skin to a grey or blue-grey colour next time it is exposed to sunlight. Any humanoid, monstrous humanoid or giant creature that takes damage from a pseudopod of a silver silatic that is feeding must succeed on a DC X (Fortutude?) save or its skin colour will gradually change colour as exposure to the sun binds the chemical into its skin. (I'm guessing that X = number of hit points of damage in the entire combat.)

* = Because of this text: "Silatics may form a pair (or more, depending on type) of long, thin pseudopods that can stretch up to fifty feet."

Silver Silatics are much less common than the other types, so I think we need an explanation for their lower frequency. Maybe they could be less agressive or move slower than other types.

If they had immunities that reflected a lot of types of damage, it would give them a good defence against people/creatures with special attack forms. But reflective abilities wouldn't need to actually make the creature do more conventional damage. They could actually be easier to beat if fought normally. (We could for example drop the pseudopod damage, so that they get double the attacks, but don't do double the amount of damage per round.)

BTW: Argyria is a real medical condition caused by chemicals containing silver. I think this could be a fairly harmless, but annoying in game ability. It might need a re-write to make it look more like a poision attack (and give people a second saving throw). Maybe potential victims who stay out of the sunlight could get one additional saving throw per day to flush the poison out of their system.

Shade

Monster Junkie
Yep, that finishes up the gold.

Some interesting ideas to keep in mind for the silver.

First, let's decide where we want to place it in the power hierarchy of the silatics. That way, we can decide on Hit Dice and ability scores.

I'm thinking between iron and gold, so 7-8 HD.

Big Mac

Explorer
Shade said:
Yep, that finishes up the gold.

Some interesting ideas to keep in mind for the silver.

Depending on how strong or weedy we make it, we might not be able to justify including them all.

Shade said:
First, let's decide where we want to place it in the power hierarchy of the silatics. That way, we can decide on Hit Dice and ability scores.

I'm thinking between iron and gold, so 7-8 HD.

OK. I'm onboard with putting them beween iron and gold, as there is a gap there. Somehow giving them more than 10 HD and having the silver as an "uber silatic" wouldn't feel so good.

I vote for the lower 7 HD. (8 HD can go to the first homebrew silatic that comes along :D )

Remove ads