Special Conversion Thread: Finishing off the oozes

Shade

Monster Junkie
Let's move on to the platinum.

Summarizing what we discussed upthread:

Str 24, Dex 15, Con 22, Int 5, Wis 11, Cha 1
+3 natural armor

Shade said:
Platinum: resistance 10 to acid, fire, & electricity; irritating touch = Fort save or -1 on Dex based checks for 1 hour?

Big Mac said:
The catalitic properties sound interesting. I'm not sure if it isn't "too scientific" for D&D, but maybe this could be folded into something else. Maybe Platinum Silatics could "eat" faster than other Silatics (so they take only 2 rounds to produce digestive fluid and only 2 rounds to reabsorb it). I'm not sure on this - I think it needs more thought.

Big Mac said:
How about changing the Platinum Silatics acid coating to a different coating that causes catalitic reactions and irritation? The catalitic reaction could result in acid building up on the surface of the pseudopods and the irritation could be similar to the sort of irritation you get in your eyes when chopping up onions.

How about if the Platinum Silatic scores a hit, their opponant has to make a saving throw to avoid crying for X rounds. Crying could cause a penalty to attck rolls and vision based checks.

Big Mac said:
It might be nice if the Platinum, with extra HD, could also boost its acid attack and the Iron, with extra HD had some sort of anti-magic boost.

freyar said:
Platinum should get some kind of acid (sorry, think the paragraph breaks there confused me), and all of them should get Digest Metal (which looks good to me). For the save DCs, should there be a penalty for objects made of the corresponding metal?

Big Mac said:
EDIT: I've just noticed that the Platinum Silactic does get an acid attack. Maybe we just need a non-acid attack for the other types of Silactic.

We could give the Platinum Silactic an acid attack that is more like the Black Pudding and give the other two Silactic's a more watered down Digest Metal ability. (Unless the Black Pudding acid attack is too much. If that is the case, I'd stick with giving them all Digest Metal and go with freyar's idea for something that only the Platinum Silactic does.)

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Sounds fair enough. I think the original text suggests 2d8 acid damage on top of the platinum's slam. Do we want to go that high?

Shade

Monster Junkie
Added to Homebrews.

Here's the standard acid ability of oozes:

Acid (Ex): The creature secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material and metal quickly, but does not affect stone. Any melee hit deals acid damage, and the opponent’s armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless they succeed on DC 21 Reflex saves. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a platinum silatic also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 21 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

The platinum silatic's acidic touch deals 21 points of damage per round to wooden or metal objects, but the ooze must remain in contact with the object for 1 full round to deal this damage.

Do we want to stick with that, and just add the sickening effect? Or do we want to drop the damage to metal and limit it to organic matter, allowing digest metal to deal with metal?

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
What text from digest metal would have to be folded into the acid attack? What would have to be excluded from the acid attack if digest metal was separate?

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
Well, Digest Metal is very slow compared to this damage (1 pt damage per round and only after full 3 rounds). Giving the platinum silatic the full ooze acid would make Digest Metal, as currently written, almost useless. So I'd either say nerf the acid to just organic material or else boost digest metal for all the silatics. I think I'd prefer to boost digest metal, honestly, since these things are supposed to be powerful metalvores.

Remove ads