Species for D&D 5E

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Okay, so I am playing Star Wars using the Cypher System and have posted many species for that game on here to little (read no) response ;). There does however seem to be an interest in developing a 5E (D&D) version for the game. I have contributed to threads on it and I was going to offer these there, but instead decided I would keep separate.

I had forgotten I already had some 5E stuff. I had converted a couple of species to 5E b/c I like using them in my D&D games too.

Note that these use a couple of our House Rules (namely weapon groups, grouped bonus proficiencies and drawbacks), but you could easily ignore or convert most of this on the fly. If you ignore the Drawbacks section, you may wish to reduce Bonus Proficiencies by 1 to compensate.

Actually, here is a link to our Drawbackspage: http://connorscampaigns.wikidot.com/d-d-drawbacks

Here is a link to our Weapon Groups Page: http://connorscampaigns.wikidot.com/d-d-equipment

So I will kick off with the two aquatic species I have already done (Aqualish with subspecies) and Nautolans. If there is any interest I would be willing to do more. Let me know what you think or what you would like to see.

Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Aqualish (inc subspecies)

AQUALISH

Aqualish Traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2.
Amphibious. Aqualish can breathe air and water.
Bonus Proficiencies. You can choose 2 proficiencies from: Endurance (this is just the checks listed under Constitution in the PHB grouped together), Insight, Intimidation, Perception.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern colour in darkness, only shades of grey. Your large, dark eyes have adapted to the dim conditions of the deeps.
Languages. Basic, Aqualish. (Fantasy setting: Common, Aquan.)
Swim. You have a swim speed of 30ft.
Size. Medium.
Speed. Base speed is 30 feet.

Aqualish Drawbacks
Belligerent (Major). It is customary and expected social behaviour for an Aqualish to be pushy and forceful upon first meeting others.
Outsider (Minor). Applies to all non-aquatic encounters.

Aqualish Subspecies

AQUALA
Aquala Traits
Improved Swim Speed. Your swim speed increases to 40ft. Aquala have fins instead of hands.
Toughness. Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level.

Aquala Drawback
Fins (Major).
This is the same as the All-Thumbs flaw. Aquala do not have hands and find it difficult manipulating most items.

QUARA
Quara Traits
Swamp Born. You ignore movement penalties for swamp and marsh difficult terrain.
Quara Drawbacks
Cocky (Minor). The Aquala despise the Quara for giving all Aqualish a reputation as thugs. As a Quara, you have a very forceful personality.

UALAQ
Ualaq Traits
Exceptional Vision. You have advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that involve sight. You have 4 highly-adapted eyes with separate eyelids for light an dark conditions.
Athletic. You can add Athletics to the options for bonus proficiencies above. Time spent in caves and the forests means the Ualaq have a higher percentage of good climbers.
Ualaq Drawbacks
Soft-Skin (Major).The Ualaq's aquatic skin has become more amphibian-like, and without the pressure of the deeps has become a vulnerability.

Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
NAUTOLAN

Nautolan Traits
Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Dexterity by 1.
Amphibious. Nautolans can breathe air and water.
Bonus Proficiencies. You can choose 1 proficiency from: Acrobatics, Endurance, Insight, Intimidation, Performance, Persuasion, or one musical instrument group.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern colour in darkness, only shades of grey. Your large, dark eyes have adapted to the dim conditions of the deeps.
Languages. Basic, Nautila. (Fantasy setting: Common, Aquan.)
Swim. You have a swim speed of 30ft.
Pheromone Sensors. Advantage on Wisdom (Insight) rolls with adjacent targets. (This extends to 30ft underwater). A nautolan's head tendrils 'read' pheromones.
Rubbery Hide. You have resistance to bludgeoning damage. The pressure of the deeps and their thick rubbery hides make nautolans tougher than most.
Size. Medium.
Speed. Base speed is 30 feet.

Nautolan Drawbacks
Dullard (Minor) OR Unwise (Minor). Nautolans rely too much upon instincts and their mental state is easily affected by those around them.
Loyal (Minor). Nautolans are loyal and steadfast companions.
Outsider (Minor). Applies to all non-aquatic encounters.
Pheromone sensors (Racial Minor). If another creature within 5 feet of you displays a strong emotion, such as fear, anger or hatred, you must make a DC 10 Wisdom save or replicate that emotion. (This extends to 30ft underwater). This often means taking on background flaws, drawbacks or a condition such as Frightened temporarily, or even abiding by the restrictions of something like a barbarian's rage. The absorption of pheromones through the head tendrils can cause unwanted chemical changes. This is why a nautolan's mood often replicates the strongest emotion around them.

Nautolan Subspecies
There are no subraces for the generic nautolan race, though in a setting where there are many, cultural ones could be generated.

Last edited:

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Hmmm. No interest in 5E stats either... Should I have put these in the 5E Forums? Anyway, if anyone does stop by, I would like to take requests if you find these sufficient.

Capn Charlie

Explorer
This project is relevant to my interests as I have been spending a lot of time working on sci-fi in 5e, and love seeing alien species using the 5e rules. The drawback system is interesting, I had not went down that path, trying to keep the core 5e "all upside" design, but I hadn't thought of using them as more minor rp themed "penalties".

One of the mechanics I have been playing with is changing the normal 20 cap for ability scores with aliens, offering some species a bonus to starting and maximum ability scores, under the assumption that the 20 cap is using human as a baseline.

My work is here, and might be of interest to you as well:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/rpgdownloads.php?do=download&downloadid=1339

Connorsrpg

Adventurer
Yeah, if not using our 'House Rules' it is easy to convert these back to normal D&D. Just grant specific proficiencies and maybe cut a skill or minor ability (to a/c for the drawbacks). I usually just remove a skill proficiency. :)

Glad to see a couple of ppl have checked these out. I love converting for different games, esp races and species. I use Star Wars species even in fantasy games :)

Looking to convert some to Coriolis rules soon too :) - when I get the full rules :). It looks perfect for a Star Wars game (even has a 'trusting to the icons/Force' mechanic :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases