• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Specific person issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

S'mon

Legend
One particular person seems to be a troll. Personally he doesn't bother me, but it seems a bit unfair to let him post as being technically just on the right side of the line, then give bans to whoever he successfully sucks in & riles up. I've seen that sort of mechanistic moderating a lot on rpgnet, and I think it falls below enw's usual high standard.

Mod Edit: This counts very much as "getting personal" - if you want to discuss particular people, and how they may or may not be moderated, please take it to e-mail/PM with the mods or admins. Thanks. ~Umbran

Last edited by a moderator:

S'mon

Legend
Re mod red text above - I'm more concerned about the principle than the Particular Person, yup. I know it can be tricky when person B has clearly made a rules violating post, but if you repeatedly see rules-violating posts in response to the posts of Person A, it's worth considering whether Person A is really the primary instigator and the one more at fault.

In general ENW moderators do a notably good job; I'm always reminded of that when I read a few threads on rpgnet and see what mods *not* doing a notably good job looks like! >:) But you know, Internet trolls these days are often very tricky. Maybe they're evolving... *eek*

Thanee

First Post
There is a report button, which can be used to point out problematic posts to the mods.

Bye
Thanee

DumbPaladin

First Post
There is a report button, which can be used to point out problematic posts to the mods.

Bye
Thanee

All the reports in the world are meaningless, if the troll either doesn't tick off any of the moderators, or doesn't do enough, in their opinion, to warrant any action.

I'm sure "one particular person" has had several reports filed against him already, and is still able to post at will.

Bullgrit

Adventurer
Poster A: "What do you think about how some games really support only violent ways of resolving conflicts? Does this affect the players outside the game, like how Shadowrun players are known to beat their wives? And do games that are most likely handled without violent encounters train players to think outside the box? Like how Call of Cthulhu players adopt more orphan children?"

Poster B: "What the hell? You are full of crap! Troll STFU!"

Mod: "Now, B, you're breaking the civility rules. If someone says something you don't agree with, you don't attack them. Flamewars won't start if you just don't respond to what you think is a troll." <threadban B>

Bullgrit

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"Troll" is easy to throw around as an accusation.

A "troll" is someone who posts specifically to get a rise out of people, to make them angry, frustrated, or upset. That's his purpose in posting, his raison d'etre, so to speak.

There's another kind of person, who posts unpopular opinions, who is kind of abrasive, and is generally unlikeable - but for whom getting an angry or emotional rise out of other people is not the actual purpose of posting. Sometimes, such a person turns out to be more trouble than they are worth to the site, and they are asked to leave. But more frequently, this person learns from experience, and grows into a valuable member of the community.

The state of Internet Mind Reading being what it is, it is often difficult to tell the difference between these two. The moderators of EN World tend to err on the side of caution. We typically require a lot of data that a person's a detriment to the site, and that they are unlikely to change their ways, before we ask them to leave.

We also expect you to be able to control yourself. Short of someone who is outright breaking our rules, we expect you to choose to walk away from people and threads that get a rise out of you.

We provide our users with an Ignore List* to support your decisions. If you have a major problem with an individual poster, we suggest you use it.

*You may edit your Ignore List in your account Settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads