Speculating on the Future of D&D

fjw70

Adventurer
Yes that's what I mean... what crunch would a 5e Greyhawk book would have, besides famous NPC stats? I am not asking rhetorically, I just don't know. Is there any particular mechanics needed? Important PC races not yet available anywhere else? Classes? Subclasses?

Greyhawk doesn’t need any mechanical support for 5e. A GH book would have to be purely lore.

Dausuul

Legend
Whether we see more Magic-the-Gathering releases as D&D worlds will probably depend on how Ravnica does. I suspect that the Ravnica release was forced onto Mearls and company from on-high.
They've already done five. I'm a little amused that everyone is freaking out about #6 just because it's getting the hardcover treatment. "Yeah, okay, you Magic people can play our game, but you have to sit at the PDF table. No production values for you!"

Obviously, the PDFs did well, so now they're taking the next step. Personally, I'm happy to see it. I'm a little tired of D&D trying to pick off a few more scraps of setting meat from the gnawed bones of 2E. M:tG crossovers are a decent compromise between rehashing old lore and creating something entirely new. The Magic team keeps cranking out new worlds, why not take advantage of it on the D&D side?

Last edited:

It’s certainly possible. But a strong counterpoint to it happening is 4e. 4e had a very aggressive release schedule, and that yet it was still the first time in ages that D&D was no longer the best-selling, most-played RPG. Even corporate heads can understand those metrics. Fordism (the idea that you just make more and that automatically equals profit) is not the law of the land anymore.

WotC is in the business of making money, now that D&D is increasingly profitable, with major room for growth, the higher ups will be pushing for an increased release schedule, to increase profits. "Bloat" won't matter to these people until it effects profit margins.

Personally if most of the increased releases are settings and lore I think bloat will be minimal.

gyor

Legend
It’s certainly possible. But a strong counterpoint to it happening is 4e. 4e had a very aggressive release schedule, and that yet it was still the first time in ages that D&D was no longer the best-selling, most-played RPG. Even corporate heads can understand those metrics. Fordism (the idea that you just make more and that automatically equals profit) is not the law of the land anymore.

That had nothing to do with the release schedule and everything to do with the huge division it caused in the player base. 5e not only healed many of those divisions, thanks to social media, D&D has exploded, even compared to the first successful years of D&D 5e. Seriously it's changed the business model of 5e. Who ever thought that someone would become a minor celebrity for simply playing D&D on camera?

Also it's not like the market is to over filled, I mean if DMSGUILDS growing list of products hasn't done it, a few more setting books won't.

aco175

Legend
Anyone think that Ravnica will have a Magic style of casting spells? I'm sure lots of people have thought about having only one type of caster who chooses a color to specialize in and be the red mage or the white mage. It would change a lot from the traditional casting system, but I'm sure many people will like it.

Anyone think that Ravnica will have a Magic style of casting spells? I'm sure lots of people have thought about having only one type of caster who chooses a color to specialize in and be the red mage or the white mage. It would change a lot from the traditional casting system, but I'm sure many people will like it.

I would be surprised, but I suspect that if this book and PF2 spellcasting are seen as successful, we could have a "there are four spells list, and five full caster classes (each that does something different with magic), so you can pick a class and a spell list" in 6e.

Remathilis

Legend
The info given so far is that it will use 5e's system of magic rather than adapt MTGs colors. So a cleric might be considered white, a necromancer black and a druid green, but that won't change the spells each class had access to.

Remove ads