D&D 5E Speculation thread: Wonders of the Multiverse

Parmandur

Book-Friend
If they do Planescape and Darksun in 2023, they will then have done all (ish) the big settings in time for the 50th Anniversary Core. To me, this seems like more evidence that 50e is going to be only slightly iterative - it might be a bit of a departure from 2014 5e, but it won't be much of a jump from what we've seen lately.

There's just no way (IMO) that they'll put out Planescape, and then make it obsolete a year later. Anything that's in there will have to jive with 50e. So... that said, that means this UA is the kind of stuff we're likely to see going forward.
They've been swearing up and down that books they are putting out bow are meant to work with new Core, like the Starter Set coming out in August still remaining as the Stsrter after 2024.

That all of the recent UA for books suggests a new united approach to Feats suggests to me that they will sell what changes they do make as just consolidation of recently published options.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
If they do Planescape and Darksun in 2023, they will then have done all (ish) the big settings in time for the 50th Anniversary Core. To me, this seems like more evidence that 50e is going to be only slightly iterative - it might be a bit of a departure from 2014 5e, but it won't be much of a jump from what we've seen lately.

There's just no way (IMO) that they'll put out Planescape, and then make it obsolete a year later. Anything that's in there will have to jive with 50e. So... that said, that means this UA is the kind of stuff we're likely to see going forward.
I'm hoping that all the PHB backgrounds will have feats attached to them at 1st and 4th levels.

An autocorrect Frankenstein's monster version of "Fizban's for Giants."

Basically, I forsee a book similar to Fizban's Treasury of Dragons, but focused on Giants and other Primordial Lore and Crunch. So a combo of what we saw in the last UA with the Giant and Runic stuff here, amd a bunch of RP material for Giants, Adventure building stuff and lair maps, bestiary, etc.
If it's giants and primordials, I wonder if it will be more "giants + elementals" instead of its mainly giants...

Reynard

Legend

Nah, this feels like late edition gimmes to fans. As the sales charts show, neither 2E Spelljammer nor Planescape sold very well. WotC probably isn't going to support them. It's possible it is the last gift to the dying breed of old gamers (of which I am one) and 50A or 6E or whatever is going to stop pandering to us GenXers.

They have been trying to reposition Giants as Material Plane border Elementals for a long time (Giants : Elwmental Planes as Elves : Feywild), and frankly that's not inconsistent with their D&D history.
That was what they were in 4E. Giants were still Large then, but there were also Huge titans. That might have been an inspiration for the Huge giants of 5E.

Remove ads