D&D 5E Speculation thread: Wonders of the Multiverse

My guess is the Deck of Many Things is the McGuffin in a Planescape adventure. Great idea. I'm nearing the end of a Dragon Heist/Deck of Many Things mashup adventure so that would be right up my alley. Love all the mechanical support they're offering, too.

Here's a crazy idea: What if the giant stuff was meant for a reissue of Storm King's Thunder?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I think it's a mistake to think they're all going to be one or even two products.

The giants material is more than likely still either a Fizban's for giants or an AP. Considering giants are nowhere near as iconic or beloved as dragons, it's far more likely an AP. Against the Giants, perhaps.

The Deck of Many Things would kinda make a great jumping-off point for a Radiant Citadel / Candlekeep style adventure collection. Pick a few of the really cool cards and make adventures centered around them. The fancy deck accessory is the obvious tchotchke to sell...now that there are already a few out there by other people.

And the planes stuff all points to Planescape, obviously. So likely Planescape confirmed.

The cards and Planescape might be connected. But there's no reason to assume they are connected. I like the idea of a DoMT as the MacGuffin for a Planescape AP.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I think it's a mistake to think they're all going to be one or even two products.

The giants material is more than likely still either a Fizban's for giants or an AP. Considering giants are nowhere near as iconic or beloved as dragons, it's far more likely an AP. Against the Giants, perhaps.

The Deck of Many Things would kinda make a great jumping-off point for a Radiant Citadel / Candlekeep style adventure collection. Pick a few of the really cool cards and make adventures centered around them. The fancy deck accessory is the obvious tchotchke to sell...now that there are already a few out there by other people.

And the planes stuff all points to Planescape, obviously. So likely Planescape confirmed.

The cards and Planescape might be connected. But there's no reason to assume they are connected. I like the idea of a DoMT as the MacGuffin for a Planescape AP.
Giants are just about the only.thing as mythically resonant as Drsgons, so it seems highly likely.

Giants are just about the only.thing as mythically resonant as Drsgons, so it seems highly likely.
And, moreover, giants have supported their own book before, 2e's Giantcraft, which actually originated a lot of the lore for 5e giants (most notably the Ordning). There's no reason why it couldn't be done again, especially if, as mentioned above, elementals are thrown into the mix for a more robust collection of creatures to cover.

(And it would definitely make up for the short (heh) shrift giants got in Volo's. Although the lore was reasonably thorough, there are six giant subtypes, and the bestiary only gave us one variant for each - and, for the most part, pretty weird variants. Hopefully any future giant book will give us a larger collection of variants, as well as greater info on other giants and giant-kin outside the classic six - especially ogres and trolls, who haven't gotten much love this edition outside a few variants in MtoF).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And, moreover, giants have supported their own book before, 2e's Giantcraft, which actually originated a lot of the lore for 5e giants (most notably the Ordning). There's no reason why it couldn't be done again, especially if, as mentioned above, elementals are thrown into the mix for a more robust collection of creatures to cover.

(And it would definitely make up for the short (heh) shrift giants got in Volo's. Although the lore was reasonably thorough, there are six giant subtypes, and the bestiary only gave us one variant for each - and, for the most part, pretty weird variants. Hopefully any future giant book will give us a larger collection of variants, as well as greater info on other giants and giant-kin outside the classic six - especially ogres and trolls, who haven't gotten much love this edition outside a few variants in MtoF).
The section in Fizban's with all the information on creating Dragon Afventures, with keyed lairs, would be awesome for Giants.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
If they do Planescape and Darksun in 2023, they will then have done all (ish) the big settings in time for the 50th Anniversary Core. To me, this seems like more evidence that 50e is going to be only slightly iterative - it might be a bit of a departure from 2014 5e, but it won't be much of a jump from what we've seen lately.

There's just no way (IMO) that they'll put out Planescape, and then make it obsolete a year later. Anything that's in there will have to jive with 50e. So... that said, that means this UA is the kind of stuff we're likely to see going forward.
we lack a psionisit for darksun.
I would be excited about planscape but I would likely get banned from the setting at FTL speeds.
Yeah, and the 4E Lore was written by...James Wyatt, who was involved in this last Giant UA.
this seems more my speed I might be an ap which is not what I really want.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases