D&D 5E Speculation thread: Wonders of the Multiverse

Hussar

Legend
I could see the Deck of Many Things being a central conceit for an adventure collection. Although, a Deck has 22 cards, so, that might be a tad too many adventures. But, cut the deck down to, say, 15, and each card is a portal to an adventure location. The same way that books were the central conceit of Candlekeep Mysteries. Maybe you find the cards in various adventures and have to collect them all to put together a Deck of Many Things? Meh. That's kinda a lame idea. I like the idea of having some sort of "Mysterious Card Dealer" who pops up from time to time, offers you a draw from the Deck, and off to Adventure! you go.

Would seem a pretty easy way to really delve into Planescape. Sort of a Tour Des Realms of the planar setup.

OTOH, thinking about it for just a minute, the notion of tying giants to elementals does seem to be something of a no-brainer. I know people absolutely hated the idea in 4e, but, frankly, I never understood the issue. Giants are already elementally themed. Hill and Stone giants for Earth, Fire giants for fire (duh), Frost Giants for water, Cloud and Storm giants for air. It's not exactly a stretch. I could see giants being popular enough to warrant a Fizban's style treatment. After all, giants appear in SO many adventures. They're just such an easy critter to add into pretty much any adventure, and have so many convenient sizes. :D

Reynard

Legend
I think it's a mistake to think they're all going to be one or even two products.

The giants material is more than likely still either a Fizban's for giants or an AP. Considering giants are nowhere near as iconic or beloved as dragons, it's far more likely an AP. Against the Giants, perhaps.
I don't think they would do a second giant AP.

darjr

I crit!
Ya know though WotC has been known to do things that kinda sorta add value to older things. Like the Dragon book and Tyranny of Tiamat.

So maybe a giant book that helps that previous adventure or compliments it isn’t such a crazy idea.

I guess we will see a new mini-setting as Radiant Citadel or Stryxhaven linked with giants, but not an adaptation of Kaldheim (Magic: the Gathering).

If the project is a new planar handbook, we should see playtesting of more PC races.

Maybe WotC wants to create a collectable card minigame within D&D, using cards as magic item to summon monsters and special effects.

Jer

Legend
Supporter
Ya know though WotC has been known to do things that kinda sorta add value to older things. Like the Dragon book and Tyranny of Tiamat.

So maybe a giant book that helps that previous adventure or compliments it isn’t such a crazy idea.
If their books are supposed to be evergreen then having a book that comes out that breathes new life into a book that already exists would actually make a lot of sense. A recognition that even though they produce these books on a schedule not everyone plays them on the same schedule is actually a good thing also.

I do wonder if any of those older adventures will get the "revamped" treatment like Curse of Strahd did (under a different name of course because the pun only works with Strahd).

I think it's a mistake to think they're all going to be one or even two products.

The giants material is more than likely still either a Fizban's for giants or an AP. Considering giants are nowhere near as iconic or beloved as dragons, it's far more likely an AP. Against the Giants, perhaps.
The thing is, we already had a giant themed adventure, and Against the Giants was updated to 5e in Tales from the Yawning Portal.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The thing is, we already had a giant themed adventure, and Against the Giants was updated to 5e in Tales from the Yawning Portal.
Yeah, I don't think another Giant AP is likely. The two main possibilities seem to me to be a Fizban style lore and crunch splat, or a Giant-centric Setting, a "GiantLance" sort of deal.

teitan

Legend
I think the giants are new setting, First World inspired. Planescape is definitely a new setting/adventure and while it didn’t “sell well” it is iconic and extremely influential on 3.5-5e design lore wise. It outlasted Dark Sun though.

Remove ads