• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Speculation Welcome: What's Next for D&D?

Longer Answer:
Some older gamers move away to nostalgia games (OSR) or stuff promoted on old-school social media like YouTube (MCDM). Some stick to 2014 or go back to Pathfinder or 4e (like me). We introduce our players to different game systems and they don't buy into the 2024 printings - and let's be honest, they weren't the market drivers anyway.
Put this way, I GM for 11 players on a weekly basis. I purchase more content than all of them combined. Hasbro has essentially lost me as a customer - so that's 12 customers they lost. I'm not going to be running their games at conventions, game stores, programming at work, etc.

Most Longest Answer:
Nerd culture is going to retreat into the background in the next several years. No, not just because of D&D, but I think it will happen. Game of Thrones has been forgotten. Stranger Things is wrapping up this season. Superhero films have stopped rocking the box office. Comics have been dead for years. The one thing still selling is a direct competitor to D&D - and that's video games.
So we're going to see what happened during the 4e era. We're going to start losing players to Baldur's Gate and other video games just like we lost to WoW. The booming success of 5e was a fluke, and most of the players who came in are going to fade to other hobbies or adult responsibilities. Hasbro might retain 10% of the new fans they gained over the past 5 years. This will probably mean that WotC doesn't generate the income it needs to, Hasbro continues to suffer financially, and likely ends up bankrupt in the next year or so.
I disagree about both nerd culture going away, and about Wizards and D&D failing. Assuming the world doesn't just fall apart from war and other BS, nerd culture isn't going away. The world is becoming more remote and digital, and as long as nerdy entertainment can be distributed, its popularity will continue. Certain creators may fall out of favor (GoT, HP, and many Disney brands seem to be suffering), but they will be replaced by others. Just look at how CR, Dim20, and BG3 fandoms took over TTRPGTok (but maybe that is just my feed, and I'm in a bubble?).

As for D&D, generally speaking, I think the Community already expects to see game/edition updates every 10 years or so. When that happens, some people want something brand new (maybe they are bored) and some people want more of the same (because they like it and want to keep investing in an evergreen product that never goes out of style). None of those people are wrong, as that is just a personal preference. Additionally, Wizards is not objectively wrong for choosing one path over the other, unless after the fact the market informs them that their sales and revenue for their chosen path did not deliver their expectations.

As for removing D&D or Wizards from one's life, if a particular group doesn't like the current game, they may go another path. That is the most solid and understandable motivation to leave a game. That said, I don't think this is a large population that will destroy Wizards. At least those people won't outnumber the influx of new people brought in from growing D&D-playing families, or adjacent fandoms like CR, BG3, Dim20, liveplays, or fantasy tv shows based on D&D like Legend of Vox Machina.

If a particular group likes D&D, but doesn't want to support Hasbro or Wizards, they may also go another path. But they will reeeeally have to want to cut Wizards and D&D off, or what will actually happen is just that they'll keep playing the game with the products they already own, and may still buy 3rd party products (or even the occasional Wizards product) if a particular product is right up their alley. (I know 2 Wizards-dissenters who are still buying the Deck of Many Things because it is such an enticing product.) I also don't think this is a large population that will destroy Wizards.

As for growing the dissent against Wizards, there may be op-ed pieces that go after Wizards and Hasbro to call out their occasional bullspit, but those op-ed writers can't afford to get that messaging wrong. Any evidence of inaccuracy, hyperbole, or perceived inappropriate outrage is going to cause some people to ignore the critics. People know what they like. It takes a lot for someone to be convinced to give up their passions. Some think Wizards' offenses are mild compared to the global horrors other corporations and industries put humanity through. Also, some people just want to play their games and forget the BS in the world. And they are not wrong or evil if they don't join the outrage.

5E's success isn't a fluke. They not only planned their product lines and partnerships well (WizKids, DDB, Larian, D&DHAT, etc.), but when unplanned opportunities popped up (like partnerships with Acquisitions Inc., Critical Role, Big Bang Theory, Community, etc.), Wizards made some really good reactive decisions and capitalized on those opportunities. They made more impactful good decisions than bad. It's only recently that their bad decisions are getting aired out and causing significant headwinds.

Wizards has a great big boat that is well-suited survive the low and high tides. They have with every older error or controversy they've weathered, from the problems that came with every D&D edition transition, to transitioning from TSR, to Wizards, to Hasbro, to the failed Gleemax initiative, to the OGL debacle, to the art and writing editors missing inappropriate stuff, etc.

Now, Wizards can still mess it up (especially for some individual fans with strong wills) but they can also still totally salvage it for the greater fandom. They just have to align with the values of the younger generation, create things that excite people, and fix their processes and communication well enough to make fans feel comfortable letting go of the errors of the past, to focus on future fun.

Last edited:

Remathilis

Legend
Nerd culture has become culture. It's no longer cabals or geeky teens hanging out in robotics class and discussing the latest comics or scifi movies, it's everyday people wearing Marvel T-shirts or d20 earrings. The exact properties will ebb and flow, but barring a major shakeup in the culture, I don't expect fantasy, scifi, comics and gaming to ever go underground again.

We also live in a very unique moment where popular culture has not wildly shifted for years. Think of how many media properties are 30, 40, 50 or more years old. Kids are growing up with the media properties their parents grew up on. That's unprecedented in history. We can't predict what comes next because we've never seen decades controlled by the same properties.

The death of geek culture is less about people moving on from geeky things and more about the absorbing of "geek" into mainstream culture. The old gatekeepers losing their stranglehold on it and it will become the normal.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
We also live in a very unique moment where popular culture has not wildly shifted for years. Think of how many media properties are 30, 40, 50 or more years old. Kids are growing up with the media properties their parents grew up on. That's unprecedented in history. We can't predict what comes next because we've never seen decades controlled by the same properties.
I'm not sure this is true. And I suspect Baby Boomers felt the same way in the 1990s, sure that everyone still cared about the Rolling Stones, Easy Rider and so on. Certainly, we had all of those 30 year old properties shoved down our throats by Madison Avenue.

But that didn't mean there wasn't plenty of youth culture happening. I remember my dad asking me if Kurt Cobain was "my John Lennon" when he died, since that was his lens for viewing pop culture.

The Gen X folks who make up, as I recall, the bulk of ENWorld posters aren't terribly likely to know what the youths are doing, because that's the whole point of youth culture. And nowadays, it's not on message boards or Facebook, where their parents and grandparents are, but in text threads and Discord, where the olds can't stick their noses in.

Retreater

Legend
Y'all do know how bad of a state Hasbro is in, right? Like it's lost 2/3rds its value with no sign of being able to turn it around. If Wizards can't free itself from the dead weight, it's going to sink too.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
Y'all do know how bad of a state Hasbro is in, right? Like it's lost 2/3rds its value with no sign of being able to turn it around. If Wizards can't free itself from the dead weight, it's going to sink too.
Is it that bad? I thought it was 18%?

You really are dooming and glooming.

Yes, the big toy companies took a big hit last year. Hasbro is at $48 today and Mattel is at $17. The last time Hasbro was this low, before the pandemic, was 2013. Go ahead and Google their stock.

If people decide they don't want to buy games this year with all the other stuff going on (or can't if there is a war that screws with the economy and shipping), everyone is going to hurt. But they do have their planned releases, and if the world settles down, we'll see if the MTG and D&D2024 releases pull it off.

MTG is the big moneymaker for Hasbro, and has the following releases planned for the year:
  1. Murders at Karlov Manor (February cardset release that takes place in Ravnica)
  2. Fallout Commander Decks (March Universes Beyond Commander Decks)
  3. Outlaws of Thunder Junction (April cardset release that takes place in a Fantasy Western world)
  4. Modern Horizons 3 (Q2 cardset release)
  5. Assassin's Creed (Q3 Universes Beyond cardset release)
  6. Bloomburrow (early Q3 cardset release that is about anthropomorphic animals)
  7. Duskmourn: House of Horror (late Q3 cardset release)
Who knows how well they'll do?

Last edited:

GrimCo

Adventurer
Corporations will do what corporations always try to do. Make money. C level executives love those fat bonuses.

They will probably milk the IP and D&D brand as much as they can to squeeze as much profit as they can.

So, more focus on subscription based SaaS and VTT. Online is where the money is and pandemic has speed up the online gaming aspect of ttrpgs.

Let's just take a look at average 5 people group that plays in real space. At best, everybody buys PHB, they all chip in for MM and DMG, maybe couple of books with some interesting character options, DM maybe forks out for adventure book or two. Realistically, one or two PHBs by group, MM, DMG, something like Tashas or Xanathars and thats it. D&D was always a cheap hobby, With 3 core books, some dices, pencils and paper, you could have fun for years. If you buy at full price, max cost is 5*50 for phb, 2*50 for dmg/mm, 2*50 for expansion books, 120 for 2-3 adventure books. Thats 570$ total. Realisticly, more like 300-350$ if you buy everything at full price. And you are good to go for next couple of years.

Now let's transfer that same group into virtual space. With just 9.99/month subscription, 5 people group spends per year 600$. And if you add paying for contetnt, that number can only go up.

GobHag

Explorer
Of course, I'm not Nostradamus, but I would rather take my chances in a world where D&D thrives despite Hasbro and that enables engagement with 3pp games (rising tide, etc) than a world where D&D has failed and 3pp pick at the corpse for scraps.
This is the difference between you and me, because I think the latter would be better overall for the TTRPG industry as a whole.

Yaarel

He-Mage
I think its important to remember that prediction by experts (which I think includes a lot of us here) is highly inaccurate. How many people speculated that Hasbro would try to violate their own license agreement two years ago?

I think we can probably draw some trend-lines though. I think WOTC definitely wants to focus more on digital tools – particularly D&D Beyond. They've clearly been experimenting with lower-priced Beyond-only material. I think we're certainly going to see printed core books because those sold, and continue to sell, really well; but other books may move to more digital only space. Maybe they put out lots of small stuff and then build big books with the best of it in there like new Xanathar or Tasha books.

I don't know what's going to happen to the rest of 5e. It's open now, which is awesome. There's more cool 5e material than we could ever run in our whole lives, frankly. I'm sure we'll see more stuff and I'm sure it'll be awesome.

But imagine this for a minute. There are millions of new players to D&D where this is their first edition. There could be a lot of nostalgia for that in twenty years to capture the fun of playing D&D at the table again. Luckily there are millions of copies of the PHB in circulation and lots of other variants being published.

For me, I'm going to be building my fun little city sourcebook this year and doing the same stuff I've done for the past 15 years or so and watch what happens.

Distinguishing between hard covers that are expected to sell well versus niche products that are intentionally made for digital, is a good call.

Remove ads