D&D (2024) Speculation Welcome: What's Next for D&D?

CyberDaka

Villager
So, we are still waiting for the release date of the new-not-new edition, and some of Wizards of the Coast staff have been cut.

For those of you dice rollers who've taken more than my thirty-odd trips around the sun, what does this mean for the health of the game moving forward? Should we expect less content? Less yearly content releases? Less 3rd party publishers willing to use the OGL?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
For those of you dice rollers who've taken more than my thirty-odd trips around the sun, what does this mean for the health of the game moving forward? Should we expect less content? Less yearly content releases? Less 3rd party publishers willing to use the OGL?
WotC is madly seeking a way to get away from the OGL that market research groups approve. They'll probably even push back to 2025, depending on those precious approval percentage points... although 2025 ending in 5 doesn't exactly help getting away from "5e."

I wouldn't expect less content per year - that doesn't support their pay-to-play dreams.

Yaarel

He Mage
My impression is, so far, the longterm strategies of WotC have been focusing on corporate branding, and licensing their IP (intellectual property) of D&D.

This IP promotion led to the production of the Honor Among Thieves, which is a good D&D movie. There are other shows in the works as well. These expand the mainstream recognizability of the D&D game and its many features.

Sometimes the focus on IP interferes with other aspect of the D&D game, especially the attempt to destroy the OGL (open gaming license) recently. But also the IP interference shows up in game design itself, such as pressuring the use of IP, for example the WotC-owned "gods", rather than allowing the Cleric player to decide the "sacred" character concept. In this sense, the IP focus even lacks reallife cultural sensitivity.

WotC decisively ended its tone-deaf assault against the OGL. In hindsight, at least influencial deciders within the corporation better appreciate the practical benefits of promoting the OGL, for a "rising tide lifts all boats" business strategy. At its time, the innovation of OGL was a paradigm shift, a social experiment. But its wisdom proved itself.

As far as I can tell, the DMs Guild turns out to be successful. It too started as an innovative experiment. Generally, the OGL (or now also the CC) allows D&D players to invent and sell products for the D&D game, with access to most of the core rules for D&D, as long as they stay away from proprietary IP that the OGL cannot access. But if selling the independent products thru the Guild, they can even create products using the proprietary IP. The DMs Guild steers which items of the IP become available, depending on which official products WotC wants to promote − which indies can enhance. Then the indy products sold thru the Guild gain a profit for both the indy creator and the WotC corporation. There is a goodwill feeling that this approach is "fair" and smart.

The Guild has a bewildering variety of indy products, of various quality. Some of them are very high quality, such as products for official D&D settings by the inventors themselves of those settings. Even then, it is difficult to decide where to begin when wanting to peruse and purchase a product.

There are plans for DnDBeyond, the official digital venue for D&D, to make it easier to incorporate gaming data from the indy products, including those in the Guild.

These plans to make indy products more accessible promotes the OGL. It also benefits D&D players generally, when they can find more products to meet niche needs. Famously, D&D 5e designers only create "popular" content with high percentage of the approval rating, that appeal to the public generally. Of course this is a good business strategy for selling products. But this approach of the "lowest common denominator" can leave unmet the various specific niche needs that most D&D players have. When the indy products meet these needs, it helps many players to commit to the D&D game engine, because they can find a way for it to do what they need it to do. Of course, the difficulty is to find these products.

I expect future WotC plans to figure out how to navigate and utilize DMs Guild products and other 5e indy products via DnDBeyond. Likewise, to use DnDBeyond to purchase physical products for use at a physical table top.

Last edited:

Yaarel

He Mage
I would love the ENWorld forums to include a "5e Indy" tag. This would discuss any and every 5e-compatible product from independent publishers. To find and read about desirable 5e indy products, along with critiques of its strengths and weaknesses − such game balance and customizability − would be super helpful to me.

delericho

Legend
For those of you dice rollers who've taken more than my thirty-odd trips around the sun, what does this mean for the health of the game moving forward?

So much of the last ten years has been unprecedented that I'm not convinced having been around a few of these edition/not-edition changes really helps much - the rules are just different now.

I also think the answer of the question is "it depends", and based on two big unknowns: how are the 2024 books received by the market (a new surge in popularity? Just more years of the same? An abject failure?) and will there be a sequel to the movie?

(Also, I think the OGL is essentially finished - it's really not wise to make your business dependent on a license that WotC have credibly threatened once. The future of third-party publishing, IMO, is now either DM's Guild or the CC licenses.)

CapnZapp

Legend
So far, every single company that has tried "branching out" (from tabletop roleplaying games) that reached some success has let their ttrpg business atrophy. There's always magnitudes more money in other entertainment.

Let's hope Hasbro isn't successful in bringing D&D to movies and video games.

Because then that's the end of D&D the ttrpg.

(This isn't all doom and gloom. I'm talking about the end of D&D as a Hasbro property. This can either end with them shelfing the IP which would deprive us of D&D, but it can also mean they will license out the ttrpg rights once ttrpgs is no longer central to D&D)

So if you think Hasbro is a good steward of D&D you want their brand dreams to fail, since that could mean they will sell off D&D to someone that lives and breathes tabletop.

Of course, not all of you think Hasbro is a reliable steward of D&D, so...

aco175

Legend
I seem to recall 3e with Cook and the other developers all being great for making the edition and then left the company by various ways. Everyone was thinking that D&D was crazy. Heinsoo and the others with 4e, now Mearls with 5e. I'm guessing that they will find new titans to continue with some new books and eventually a new edition in several more years.

Now, I would like to see more of the old developers produce more 3pp stuff like what Buar did with KoboldPress. I think there is a place for this in the game and looking forward to see the unshackled stuff that is made.

I can also see the continued push for online gaming and this may be from both the player/DM end and the Wizards end. It is like streaming platforms all going to an ad-based system, the lure of gold is too strong.

Remove ads