D&D (2024) Ben Riggs speculates on 2024 D&D and the OGL.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I think that symbolism is what makes it an, er, non-non-issue from a community outreach and customer relations standpoint. Putting the SRD out the (especially if it were the whole thing this time) not only tells the fan base that WotC is dedicated to supporting open gaming with 5E in perpetuity, it also puts a nail in the coffin of potential rivals like TotV.
You can accomplish the same without a meaningless symbolic gesture but with a clear, sincere statement. Putting out meaningless developer tools just to convince people you’re doing something when you’re not actually feels more insincere at this stage.

Reynard

Legend
You can accomplish the same without a meaningless symbolic gesture but with a clear, sincere statement. Putting out meaningless developer tools just to convince people you’re doing something when you’re not actually feels more insincere at this stage.
I don't think a complete SRD is a meaningless developer tool any way you slice it.

mamba

Legend
Sure. I guess that's different than "updating", but not by much.
depends on what you want from it. If you create adventures, monsters, and so forth, you are fine. If you want to create your own RPG that hews closely to D&D and want to take over some of the updated language, then you are probably out of luck (unless this becomes a huge errata that also is covered by CC).

Retreater

Legend
Hmm. I don’t recall the 4E terminology well enough, but it broadly used the same verbiage didn’t it? Class names, hit points, armor class, all that stuff?

Unless your goal is to reprint the rules as opposed to make compatible material. But that’s not what the OGL was ever intended for anyway.
The names of the powers are (mostly) unlike anything from other editions. For every "Magic Missile" there's a "Carve out Corruption." There are a total of 9409 powers. 77 Classes, 55 Races. Even those that have an analogue in previous editions, they are handled differently in 4E. Even the mechanics of At-Will/Encounter/Daily/Utility (AEDU) powers were covered only under the GSL.

Yaarel

He Mage
At-Will/Encounter/Daily/Utility (AEDU) powers were covered only under the GSL.
To reverse engineer 4e into 5e, I would use the Warlock chassis to approximate AEDU.

Atwill ≈ cantrips
Encounter ≈ short rest spell slots
Daily ≈ arcanums

Plus Warlock invocations can be any of these, and can also be noncombat Utility.

Interesting read on the facebook comentary page.
You have one of the main competitors spreading rumors that everything WotC releases is a marketing ploy, fully knowing WotC prints in the USA and fully knowing that probably the leaked date was an error.

That is not a good advertising for Pathfinder.

Yes, that error on the picture was dumb, but there is no reason to start spreading panic*.

*the only thing I found interesting is that 4e was forced to be rushed out, what I always expected when I read the oroginal books. Yeah. If the 2024 are rushed, I found it depressing. But I really doubt that.

darjr

I crit!
Interesting read on the facebook comentary page.
You have one of the main competitors spreading rumors that everything WotC releases is a marketing ploy, fully knowing WotC prints in the USA and fully knowing that probably the leaked date was an error.

That is not a good advertising for Pathfinder.

Yes, that error on the picture was dumb, but there is no reason to start spreading panic*.

*the only thing I found interesting is that 4e was forced to be rushed out, what I always expected when I read the oroginal books. Yeah. If the 2024 are rushed, I found it depressing. But I really doubt that.
I believe WotC also print over seas and in China.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I believe WotC also print over seas and in China.
Not usually for books. They do print their Magic cards that they sell I'm the Asian market (which is a big portion of their buainess) in China, and a few of my 5E books were printed in China, but usually they are printing books in the USA, which I know from my day job simplifies their logistics considerably.

It's been a little while since I spot checked my 5E books, but last time I did only a handful were not printed in the US. And for thr core launch they probsvly won't want to risk a logistics problem in the ports delaying the entire game line.

darjr

I crit!
Not usually for books. They do print their Magic cards that they sell I'm the Asian market (which is a big portion of their buainess) in China, and a few of my 5E books were printed in China, but usually they are printing books in the USA, which I know from my day job simplifies their logistics considerably.

It's been a little while since I spot checked my 5E books, but last time I did only a handful were not printed in the US. And for thr core launch they probsvly won't want to risk a logistics problem in the ports delaying the entire game line.
Those are two PHBs and the Planescape adventure. The PHBs are several years old and the Planescape book came right out of a box of em sent by WotC and not via any retail channel.

They do and will print in China.

I believe they prefer not to.

Attachments

• IMG_9041.jpeg
    IMG_9041.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 47
  • IMG_9040.jpeg
    IMG_9040.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_9039.jpeg
    IMG_9039.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49