• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Speeding Up Feat Progression

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
I'm going to be running a 5e game soon; all my players will be playing Dwarves, and I don't allow multi-classing, so I wanted to do something to help make characters feel more distinct and let players put their own spin on it.

One idea I had was updating the Feat/ASI to every 3 levels. Has anyone had any experience in 5e tinkering with the speed of ASI/Feat progression? I want my players to get more (and earlier) access to feats and other character-defining abilities. I worry that with the way class abilities are handed out this will leave the 4-8-12-16 as something of dead levels.

Would I be better served keeping progression as normal but using another mechanic (say, Blessings) in order to help my players better diversify and define their characters?
offer two feats, or a feat+ASI (i wouldn't offer the option of two ASI though) instead of just one of either whenever they gain an ASI? if you're worried about fighters/rogues exploiting this with their extra feats just employ it only on the levels everyone gets an ASI.

Last edited:

zottel

Villager
I take advantage of the Boon system rather than just handing out feats.

You can actually get to the point where feats start feeling generic because of how they are selected in a descending desire.

This is also advantage because you can cater the effect based on their decisions and actions in the game rather than just list shopping
A thought that just occurred to me:
Replace +2ASI/Feat with +1ASI and Feats.
That should allow for a quicker progression, PCs can get +2 when they are supposed to with the benefit of a free half-feat, or +1 and a full feat.

Quartz

Hero
Would I be better served keeping progression as normal but using another mechanic (say, Blessings) in order to help my players better diversify and define their characters?

How about offering a non-combat feat - or one not related to their class - at levels 2 and 6 and see how you get on?

Horwath

Legend
That should allow for a quicker progression, PCs can get +2 when they are supposed to with the benefit of a free half-feat, or +1 and a full feat.
maybe expand option a little:

+2 or +1/+1 and half feat
+1 and full feat
+1 and 2 half feats
3 half feats
full feat and a half feat.

This touches on the two things that I dislike about 5e the most.

If your ability to score is assumed to increase as your primary abilities score then you shouldn't have the option to do otherwise. Taking an opportunity cost to exceed the baseline is one thing but spending them just to meet the status quo is poor design.

In a similar vein having all the feats accessible every time that you select one looks like increases options but in reality it just forms a hierarchy of choice. You're not going to look at linguist if you want PaM as well.

You see people talking about making a free feat wherever but make it a non-combat feat. That's the right idea but instead of splitting it up arbitrarily based on if something does damage or not really you should just make smaller lists that are locked into a particular level. So your level 4 fests aren't available later on so the one you pick is the one you get. Not only is an infinitely easier to actually balance, you actually start seeing some diversity in players decisions.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
If your ability to score is assumed to increase as your primary abilities score then you shouldn't have the option to do otherwise. Taking an opportunity cost to exceed the baseline is one thing but spending them just to meet the status quo is poor design.
Nothing about the math of 5e assumes players are merely assigning their ASIs to their highest ability score.
While I'm certain this does happen, I have yet to see it in the 100s of characters at my tables.

People really like story, which feats help tell in ways that "I get stronger" don't.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
My house rules on Feats are currently:

Each character receives a bonus Feat. The Resilient Feat can betaken multiple times.

At levels 5, 9, 14, and 17, characters receive an additional bonus Feat.

In addition:

At level 4 (and every 4 levels thereafter), a character can gain one new Skill or Tool Proficiency, as well as a new Weapon Proficiency or Language of their choice.

ezo

I cast invisibility
I'm going to be running a 5e game soon; all my players will be playing Dwarves, and I don't allow multi-classing, so I wanted to do something to help make characters feel more distinct and let players put their own spin on it.
While I also do what many do by granting a feat at 1st level, I would like to ask how you feel giving more features will make characters feel more distinct?

Are they all the same backgrounds? class? sublcass? subspecies of dwarf? weapons and armor? spells? (if spellcasters)? proficiencies?

And most importantly... have the same personality, goals for adventuring, alignments, etc.? Do they all plan on playing the same role in the group?

Unless you have an incredible amount of overlap in all those options as well, it seems like there should be plenty of other decision points to help make each feel distinct IMO.

However, if you believe all that is insufficient and still wish to give more, then others have provided you will several decent options. Best of luck!

Nothing about the math of 5e assumes players are merely assigning their ASIs to their highest ability score.
While I'm certain this does happen, I have yet to see it in the 100s of characters at my tables.

People really like story, which feats help tell in ways that "I get stronger" don't.
The system doesn't assume that you Max it but it does assume there is an increase.
It's +2-3 in T1, +3-4 T2, +3-5 T3, and +4-5 T4.

This way the majority of the encounters you run into you will hit at least ~60% of the time.

Now if you never plan on playing in tier 3 or 4 then you could slap a 14-16 in and be fine.

Remove ads