Spell Creation - Spell Constuction Kit or Cookbook?

devilish

Explorer
Hi all,

Inspired by the CR/EL construction tables in Grim Tales, I wanted to
create some custom spells. In an old issue of Dragon, just prior
to 3rd Edition, they had an article on creating new spells and
mathematically assigning them a level.

For instance (not actual numbers) :
You want to create a flaming fountain spell :
Damage: d6 --- + 1 level (d10 would be +2 level)
Duration: 1 day - +1 level (permanent - +3 levels)
Range: Touch - +0 level ( -1 level for self, +2 for every x feet)
Area of Effect: 10 ft circle [fountain] - +1 level
etc. and so forth.

Are there any published materials that help with creating new
spells -- and not just by basing it on old spells, but allowing
you to take any idea and creating the spell stat block for it.

All help greatly apprec!

-D

Theres a book called Elements of Magic that you should check out, if you don't want to buy anything they have a teaser PDF with most of the rules in it. It has a point-based system for making almost any kind of spell.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Bad Axe Games' Heroes of High Favor: Elves has a spell construction system in it. I haven't used it but it's probably pretty solid based on Durbin's other stuff.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
drnuncheon said:
Bad Axe Games' Heroes of High Favor: Elves has a spell construction system in it. I haven't used it but it's probably pretty solid based on Durbin's other stuff.

I've used it and it's very useful.

Gaon

First Post
drnuncheon said:

For some reason I think this part was once available as a free download. I'd like to know if it still is.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
Gaon said:
For some reason I think this part was once available as a free download. I'd like to know if it still is.

I really don't think it was ever legally a free download. Maybe Wulf will drop in and let us know if I'm right.

But it's only $10 -- and well worth it.

Verequus

First Post
Sargon the Kassadian said:
Theres a book called Elements of Magic that you should check out, if you don't want to buy anything they have a teaser PDF with most of the rules in it. It has a point-based system for making almost any kind of spell.

To clarify it: Don't buy Elements of Magic, but Elements of Magic Revised. Unfortunately, the link for the teaser isn't available anymore. Look for reviews - the bookmark problem is solved the patch and a major update is planned, which fills all the gaps and eliminates the errors, which have been found.

devilish

Explorer
Just saw an ad in Dragon for Ars Magicka (sp?) version 5 -- how
does that stack against EoM:r? Can EoM just plunk into 3.5
while Ars Magicka is a complete revamp? Anyone know?
thnx again,

BSF

Explorer
Ars Magica is a different game system.

Elements of Magic:Revised is an alternate take on magic in general. Very nifty system, with players that are willing to really do the work and exercise the system. If the players try to learn as they go, I think you will watch the game crawl, crawl, crawl.

Heroes of High Favor: Elves does include a system. I haven't tested it very thoroughly, but it is Bad Axe Games, and Phil Reed is also saying that is it useful. For me, that is a great start.

For ease of accessibility, I would definitely suggest Heroes of High Favor: Elves. It is small, inexpensive and looks usable.

Remove ads