• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Creation - Spell Constuction Kit or Cookbook?

Verequus

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
Ars Magica is a different game system.

Elements of Magic:Revised is an alternate take on magic in general. Very nifty system, with players that are willing to really do the work and exercise the system. If the players try to learn as they go, I think you will watch the game crawl, crawl, crawl.

Actually, someone called EoMR a d20-port of Ars Magica. He's wrong, (both systems evolved parallel), but this shows the similarities of both approaches. If you like the idea behind Ars Magica, you won't be disappointed with EoMR.

And to the work with players: The update will probably include all cantrips and 1-MP spells, so new players can pick th spells like in the core. Otherwise you have to choose the spell lists and how you spend the precious MP - the spells one should devise between sessions. I don't see it as difficult, after you've succeeded to explain the basics. ;)

BSF

Explorer
I think the EOM system is cool and I could put together some dang nifty things in it. However, I have players in my game that have a difficult time just playing spellcasters in general. Not to hijack the thread, but there have been times when I have seriously considered telling certain people that they cannot play a spellcaster. But if they really want to, why stop them? It is just depressing to see them flounder when trying to figure out what spells to memorize and then which spell to cast at any given time. There are definitely some players that would drown in the options available in EOM. There are also players that would thrive in that environment.

Psion

Adventurer
Well, the same author who brought you grim tales provided a little set of spell level guestimators in Heroes of High Favor: Elves.

Remove ads