D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

peterka99

First Post
Someone else want to pick up the negotiation ball and run with it before I get us all shot?

Etienne wants to do something to help Mathan. Blackbeard should forget the plan about Le Ge Rouge du Petro and accept to give us the ship if he is officially the one who will cleanse it from the Djab. For the rest of the World, we should just give him the tools to do it..

Shayuri

First Post
"De djab, Yellow Jack, will be taken care of," Nia says. "If you wish to make it part of de deal, I can ensure de spirit is trapped where it cannot find you."

She suspected the spirit was probably more interested in the previous captain, but far be it from her to try to ease Blackbeard's fears. Blaise seemed to know a bit of spirit lore, though whatever houngan had taught him had either left things out, or deliberately seeded misinformation in.

Or perhaps he and Nia would simply disagree. The matters of gods and loa were never perfectly clear to mortalkind.

"As for de gem you speak of, de risk and cost of carrying such a ting to you is great. Perhaps if we knew your aim in having it, we could find anothah way to help?"

Quickleaf

Legend
Sb3IOWW.jpg

Having his fears so blatantly pointed out to him is enough to make the old pirate level his gaze at Blaise, attempting to ascertain what exactly the mustached young man's interest in the gem is. It seems far more personal than he's letting on...perhaps a tale tied to the young man's scars. Blackbeard's harrowed eyes slowly shift to intrigue, flitting over Etienne, and finally settling on Nia.

"The thing about legend is that it's a double-edged blade. I think I've enough legend, though if ever I needed to spread mine, I can see I could do worse than hire you as my shantyman," the sullen-eyed pirate quips with as much mirth as he can muster in the face of such mortal fear, placing one hand on the table and letting the other rest on his thigh.

"Yellow Jack, that's what the Mambo who lives inland called it too. She warned us to leave it alone. And so I've left it bloody well alone. For several years now," says Blackbeard, sucking on his lower lip and furrowing his thick brows. "Aye, trapped'll do, though dead is better, if such things that haunt men's dreams can truly die..." His voice drops off to a murmur, barely even a whisper.

Leveling his gaze at Nia, Blackbeard responds to her question practically, not needing anytime to think about it. Either a practiced response or a wholly earnest one. "The Baron du Pointis, the man who financed the raid on Cartagena, is seeking the Ge Rouge for his own aggrandizement. I won't let a man like du Pointis have it." His stubborn lower jaw sets forward as if the name 'du Pointis' was anathema itself.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Well that was an interesting few minutes, Flynn thought, as a brief lull fell into the conversation.

He looked around the group briefly- then, almost reluctantly, pushed the again-empty cup of rum back towards the center of the table. He reached over and slapped the tabletop in front of Blaise. "And i thought I had the speaker's gift..."

Then he leaned back in his chair and spoke, his voice warmed just a bit by the diligent application of rum. "So let me see, then, if I can sum things up a bit, and get us to an agreement. For the ship, you would have information- either that of the former captain, his secret, or of the Seawolf, and his secret. For our part, we will clear the ship of this dark spirit- kill it if we can, trap it if we can't slay it- and either way, since your connection to the ship would be broken, the djab would be OUR problem in the future, sine we would have provoked its ire. And for the last, this red gem- its true fate and purpose must still be discussed, but we agree that do Pointis shall not have it, whatever must be done to ensure that."

Then he leaned forward again, and raked his gaze across those assembled, meeting each set of eyes directly (if only for a moment, in some cases). "Does that sound about right to everyone? And can we have a drink to seal it, if it does? I'm a bit parched, I am."

[sblock= OOC] That is my read on what we've discussed. Does it sound right OOC as well as to Flynn IC?
[/sblock]

Quickleaf

Legend
Stretching his shoulders, Blackbeard gazes down in focused attention to Flynn's summary, pausing from his reflection only long enough to glance sidelong at Blaise. "Aye," he says, filling the proffered glass with the amber-colored rum before filling his own as well. Echoes of the deckhands outside the house filter through the window, laughing as they unload the supplies they carried up the hill.

The matter of the Ge Rouge is sufficiently resolved for him at the moment, that is to say, they've come to no agreement beyond that fact that it mustn't fall into du Pointis' hands. Whether the venture would ultimately lead the old pirate to conflict with Blaise over the gem, only time would tell. For now however... "I will drink drink to our accord," Blackbeard says, raising his cup.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Kat slowly tapped her slim fingers on the gnarled wood of the table in front of her as she gazed into the beverage waiting for her there. She had been extremely pleased with the initiative of her crewmates to speak with the feared Captain, still, she was unhappy. Her soul yearned to be on the sea, anyone looking deep into her eyes would find a tempest of swirling turquoise there to match the stormiest of nights. She belonged on the sea, TO the sea some would say. The tug of their mission was pulling her to the depths and she was barely hanging on for dear life, though she hid it well. Every time she overcame an obstacle it seemed three more materialized and she had to dig deeper and deeper into her soul to go on. It did not help she'd been unable to scratch any of her usual itches that helped numbed her heart, body and mind to her pain.

The tapping stopped and her fingers wrapped around her mug, pulling it to the air. "We have an accord, Captain." She drank from her cup and waited until the others did the same.

"Now, it seems we have a lot to do, and little time to do so, so I hope you do not consider us rude. If you have any information that might be of help we would certainly appreciate it."

Fenris

Adventurer
Old Zef wheezed a bit in his laugh. "Matennaaier. Why didn't ye play the man fer the ship." cackles the old dwarf as he picks up the dice and rolls five aces. Then again and again. The dwarf laughs as he picks the dice up "But tis alright. we have an accord. An' a spook on a godverdomme dingy, an a cursed bauble, and some klerelijer captain...." the dwarf is still grumbling and muttering as he stumps back to the door.

OOC: And for those wishing to know how Old Zef rolled that well. Minor conjuration of loaded poker dice :cool:

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Fenris, I'm just glossing over the part in my adventure about 'cursed soul-sucking dice of the pirate Blackbeard' ;)

It's probably late morning, pushing noon. Up to you guys what your next step is.

About the map... obviously there are a lot more features on it... however, finding legible old maps of Nassau online is hard. Newer tourist maps often have names for things that wouldn't make sense in the setting (e.g. Paradise Island was originally called Hog Island by pirates), so I need to do a bit more digging to make a pseudo-historical map.

Blackbeard polishes off the glass and tilts the bottle, casting a curmudgeonly look Blaise's way realizing there's barely a third of the bottle left after their negotiations concluded. With bearish chuckle at Zef's shenanigans, the old pirate claps the table and slowly rises. As you gather your things and prepare to leave, he ponders Katerina's question.

"Well, Piet Hien lives in the old white stone house, out towards Potters Cay," he walks with deliberate steps, accompanying your party to the door. Outside, his quartermaster Grimes is going over a checklist, making sure the goods that've been brought up match what was ordered. Lots of supplies, not quite enough for an ocean expedition, but certainly more than a small family would need even for several months. "As for the buried treasure... one moment..."

Blackbeard slips away into his study, returning with a Nassau map marking three potential sea caves on it. "Here. I had men do an exhaustive search on Long Cay — known for its sea caves — and weren't no traces of L'Ollonais' hidden treasure there. But these others I've marked — sea caves off the northwest point from Lake Killarney, the caves on Hog Island, and East End Point sea caves — there are too many of those for brute searching to be much good."

Attachments

• Nassau Map.jpg
    Nassau Map.jpg
    783.2 KB · Views: 114

peterka99

First Post
Etienne, impulsively as ever, then offers his help:

"I own a large canoe from my northern wastes. it can transport up to 10 people. I can move real fast. Don't take too much time finding the right cave, we have plenty of time exploring them all!"

Fenris

Adventurer
Etienne, impulsively as ever, then offers his help:

"I own a large canoe from my northern wastes. it can transport up to 10 people. I can move real fast. Don't take too much time finding the right cave, we have plenty of time exploring them all!"

"Well then stop flappin' yer gums boy. Go get it. I bin on dry land too long. Sick o' dealin' with this merde. I am too old for this merde. And uppity pirate kings. Yeah I'm talking about you Blackbeard" calls out Zef from the door.

Zef is quite obviously done negotiating. In his old age has little patience unless it come to repairing a ship. Still as Zef steps onto the porch he starts singing a song, raspy and out of tune, but loud enough for all to hear

"Oh, better far to live and die,
Under the brave black flag I fly
Than play a sanctimonious part
With a pirate head and a pirate heart
........"

The song trails off as Zef heads down the steps and eventually stops as pipe smoke rises from near the bottom of the steps.

OOC: And that is also why Quickleaf, Zef conjured his own dice and didn't use Blackbeards ;)

Remove ads