D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: After the recent ENWorld database issue, the servers were restored to a May backup. In the process, we lost the last 4 months of posting, though at least it took us back to a high note of [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION]' humor ;)

Quick recap of what happened: You reached a deal with Blackbeard – he'd give you title to The Crimson Curse in exchange for you locating one of the treasure caches of Francois L'Ollonais buried somewhere on New Providence Island. After consulting with the gnomish shantyman Kristups Gruendemann, you deduced the treasure cache was in the East End Point Sea Caves. Exploring, you ended up running into a kelpie who tried to embrace the handsome Blaise, though thanks to quick thinking you drove the kelpie off...for now.

We're fast-forwarding a bit to the point where you've found the right cave where the treasure cache is located. More in the next post!

Quickleaf

Legend
smuggler_s_cave_by_tomprante-d83ea32.png

By a twist of fortunes, the kelpie that nearly drowned Blaise ended up leaving behind a clue that overcame the hurdle of being stymied by the many sea caves on the East End Point. A lock of oily dark turquoise hair braided with sea glass, beads, and an old French golden franc. Old Zef was able to date the coin, determining it must have been minted around the time that Francois L'Ollonais would have concealed his treasure on New Providence Island. The kelpie had been to the sea cave with the treasure cache. All that remained were sharp eyes, knowledge of the sea, and a strong paddling arm to track the kelpie's movements; a silhouette beneath the waves there, a flurry of fish there, a dip of a tail amidst the foam, and your party came to a ceiling with a low lip at the entry.

There is no further sign of the kelpie who seems to have swum off after realizing she was being pursued by canoe.

It is nearing sunset when you find it. The exterior has the same unintelligible swirling inscriptions that Nia had noticed on the cliffside before. Etienne would ferry you over in two groups.

The interior of the sea cave is humid and dark; light will be necessary to see much further in, save for Old Zef who sees just fine. Old smuggler's ropes overgrown with algae and rotted piers confirm you've found the right cave.

Echoes of churning water on rocks signal a growing tide, likely to peak around midnight and make the entry of the cave too low for even the canoe to get out. In between the swells there is a clicking sound amidst the drip of water from stalactites. Washes of white salt cling to the algae covered rocks. The chamber is some 20 feet by 20 feet large, its ceiling low enough along the sides so that the tallest of you need to lean forward to avoid scraping your heads. The water becomes shallower the deeper into the cave you go till it's only about human knee high. Plentiful jagged rocks provide mooring sites for the canoe.

To the left, a low-ceilinged passage suitable for single-file movement wends through the rock for 20 feet before hooking to the left and obscuring sight. The water is about knee high along the passage.

To the right, a 10-foot wide passage rises out of the water via natural stone steps, leading toward a chamber to the north where the clicking sound emanates from.

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
"Can you stay unseen, unheard?" Nia asks as she surveys the two passages. "If so, go ahead. Though...I tink we should go de odder way first."

She nods at the quiet passage to the left.

Matthan

Explorer
Blaise instinctively lowers his voice in the cavern, "I would rather know what is making the noise so we can plan for it instead of it coming behind us and trapping us in the quiet tunnel. I can be quiet myself when the need arises. Etienne and I can just scout out the sound and return here so we can all make a plan for how to proceed."

Queenie

Queen of Everything
OOC: I know you said it's nearing sunset... we have an approximate time? Closer to 6 or closer to 9pm? Just want an idea of how much time we have before we drown in this cave ;)

Katerina takes a moment to quiet her mind, trying to find the little voice of her father that lives inside her, guiding her which way to go. Finally she speaks in hushed tones.

"I can also move quietly, but there is only so quiet we can be moving in water, and the gods only know what is under the depth we can't see, as we just learned. I'd like to know what the noise is also BUT this passage," she waves toward the left, "Will be underwater before the other. I think we should go that way first. However, I feel that either way we go, this cavern is not going to let us go easily, so we should go with caution and be prepared to battle."

Last edited:

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: EDIT! Sorry, I jumped the gun! Looks like you guys are deciding which way to go, who will go, marching order, light bearer, etc. I'll let you resolve that first.

Quiet wet passage to the left would require a light source around the bend, since it's completely cut off from glimmer of sunset light streaming into entry chamber with canoe. As Katerina observed, it will be submerged first.

Clicking drier passage to the right has maybe half an hour left of (very) dim light from traces of sunset light streaming into entry chamber with canoe.

It's closer to 6pm. So plenty of time to drown in the caves [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] ;)

Last edited:

peterka99

First Post
OOC: Etienne got a 21 in stealth (19+2) but only a 10 in perception (5+5 or 5+16). He walks silently but has issue detecting the hazards.

He has sea legs... and can keep his balance on a deck in the middle of a storm. I think he can dodge inanimate but rolling objects, but of course maybe not living critters...

Unfortunately, he cannot inspire other to perceptive feats while remaining silent... But if he cast it before entering the chamber, it should remain undetected... Otherwise, Etienne can cast a Owl's wisdom to get advantage on wisdom to nullify the disadvantage and success in the perception test (the 21 was the 1st roll).

Of course, If everyone think some light should be added, maybe the 1d6 inspiration bonus will be enough for Blaise.

Queenie, you still got your inspiration bonus from my fellow Irish bard, even if I don't remember what he got on his dice roll.

Last edited:

Queenie

Queen of Everything
OOC: My fault for taking so long to reply. Apologies!! I meant to include something about light in my post too... ;) Paging [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION]... get your butt in here!!

"Zef, we're going to be needing that light of yours. After we decide which way to go."

Remove ads