D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Hmm, good question! [MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] Two answers, one by the rules, and one with campaign flavor.

Rules answer: They're "monstrosities", which are a different type than "beasts" and speak with animals only allows communicating with "beasts." So speak with animals wouldn't work on them.

Campaign Flavor answer: They're clearly non-natural creatures, likely from the abyssal depths of the ocean originally. While their abnormal intelligence would prevent proper communication, you could theoretically use speak with animals to mimic the chittering sounds they're making. It wouldn't be actual communication, but you could make yourself sound like one of them. I think that's within the spirit of the spell, and as DM I'd rule that way.

peterka99

First Post
Etienne, after his recon mission, turns back and walk to his companions and describe them the cave dwellers, gesturing and muttering to stay quiet. He let them know he thinks he can communicate with the monsters. He then ask them if they want to parley or fight.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Flynn kept his place at the rear of the group, and he kept most of his attention focused on the passsgeway behind them- who could tell what sorts of things, besides that kelpie, were out there? It would not do to be surprised in these tunnels.

He had been uncharacteristically quiet since his brief, embarrassing slip off the wet ledge- he was still smiling, but it was a grim, brittle smile. More to the point, he had slung his surgeon's satchel across his back- and he had a loaded and primed pistol in each hand.

When Etienne returned from his scouting, Flynn turned sideways so he could listen to the report without losing sight of their back-trail. He chuckled softly at the description, and shook his head. "Just like a Frenchman, this Ollonais-using snails to guard his hoard," he muttered, keeping his voice low to match Etienne's caution. Looking around the group, he chuckled softly again. "No offense meant to current French companions, o'course..."

Fenris

Adventurer
"Etienne. Mate. Did that there sea witch that just tried to drag Blaise down to join Davey Jones want to parlay? Iffin' I'm gonna hide a treasure, much less protect it. I fer damn sure ain't putting any vuil smeerlap in charge o' guard'n treasure that some slick-talking fur trader can just "parlay" his way by.
Now get yer arse in there boy and kill 'em. Kill 'em with fire."
orders the old dwarf.

peterka99

First Post
"Fine for me. I just offered an alternative. Most snails are herbivores, especially water ones. But these are monstrous... I guess we'll have trouble content their hunger..."

Shayuri

First Post
"What you be describin' is not 'snails' or anyting else of dis world," Nia said in a low voice. "And if one tries speakin wit you, you'd best not be listenin'. What de tings of de deeps do to you mind is far worse den what dey do to you body."

She brings an arrow to nock on her bow and nods.

"De faster dey die, de longer we live."

peterka99

First Post
If the captain agrees, we'll cut them in pieces!

OOC: For the incoming fight, don't forget the 2 bards gave inspiration to Nia and Blaise!

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: If your party wants to launch a sneak attack...

You need to make a group DC 12 Stealth check where half (3) of you succeed. Already, Etienne has succeeded, so that's 1. Thus you need 2 more to succeed in order to surprise the "snails".

However, only Etienne and Nia can actually see the camouflaged monsters. Thus, everyone else besides Etienne and Nia suffers disadvantage on their attack rolls for attacking unseen/hidden creatures (this is assuming Etienne and Nia are pointing at which areas to aim).

Initiative

Player Group #1 (go in any order you like)
Blaise 15
Flynn 14
Katerina 14

Grick Alpha 14

Player Group #2 (go in any order you like)
Nia 13
Old Zef 11
Etienne 10

Gricks 10

---------------

Monster Stats
Grick AC 14
Gricks HP 27

Grick Alpha AC 18
Grick Alpha HP 75

---------------

[SBLOCK=Initiative Rolls]
Grick's initiative modifier 1=-4, 2=-3, 3=-2, 4=-1, 5/6=0, 7=+1, 8=+2, 9=+3, 10=+4: 1D10 = [3] = 3 12 - 2 = 10

Grick alpha's initiative modifier 1=-4, 2=-3, 3=-2, 4=-1, 5/6=0, 7=+1, 8=+2, 9=+3, 10=+4: 1D10 = [8] = 8 12 + 2 = 14
[/SBLOCK]

Matthan

Explorer
Blaise Stealth: 1D20+7 = [11]+7 = 18

Blaise goes about prepping his pistol as he speaks, "I'm on board for getting the drop on these beasts, but I can scarcely see the end of my pistol let alone aim well. I say we let those of you with night eyes point us towards them and we ready ourselves. Then, have someone throw the light stone into the middle of them. As soon as we see them, we open fire and hopefully end this before it's really begun."

Remove ads