D&D 5E Spell & Crossbones

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Ok! I'm thinking since [MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION] (Etienne) [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION] (Blaise) and [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] (Nia) are sneaking, it makes sense to re-order the initiative so they go first!

Also, I get the feeling that [MENTION=8058]Queenie[/MENTION] and [MENTION=2820]Fenris[/MENTION] are in the midst of something, but will show up when they're able. Hope you guys are ok.

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Your party is making a sneak attack...

I’ve re-done the PC positioning & initiative to reflect Etienne, Blaise, and Nia sneaking. It's your turn [MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION], [MENTION=20005]Matthan[/MENTION], and [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]!

However, only Etienne and Nia can actually see the camouflaged monsters. Thus, everyone else besides Etienne and Nia suffers disadvantage on their attack rolls for attacking unseen/hidden creatures (this is assuming Etienne and Nia are pointing at which areas to aim).

Initiative

Player Group #1 (go in any order you like)
Blaise 15
Nia 14
Etienne 14

Grick Alpha 14

Player Group #2 (go in any order you like)
Flynn 13
Katerina 13
Old Zef 11

Gricks 10

---------------

Monster Stats
Grick AC 14
Gricks HP 27

Grick Alpha AC 18
Grick Alpha HP 75

---------------

[SBLOCK=Initiative Rolls]
Grick's initiative modifier 1=-4, 2=-3, 3=-2, 4=-1, 5/6=0, 7=+1, 8=+2, 9=+3, 10=+4: 1D10 = [3] = 3 12 - 2 = 10

Grick alpha's initiative modifier 1=-4, 2=-3, 3=-2, 4=-1, 5/6=0, 7=+1, 8=+2, 9=+3, 10=+4: 1D10 = [8] = 8 12 + 2 = 14
[/SBLOCK]

qGXlBNC.png

GM: Color-coding on minis...
Etienne
Blaise
Nia
Katerina
Old Zef
Flynn

Last edited:

peterka99

First Post
OOC: I'll open the hostility. Is a survival roll enough to ensure my thunderwave spell will not cause the cave roof collapse ? The spell needs me to be yards ahead not to hit my friends and I don't need a to hit roll...

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Previously described the chamber as having stalactites hanging from the ceiling [MENTION=6787234]peterka99[/MENTION].

See post 800 for a description of the chamber.

Because you guys are sneaking in dim light, you don't have an opportunity to examine the rock formations in detail to determine how (un)stable they are.

There are no guarantees, but generally I play spells as having logical effects on their surroundings. Fireballs light things on fire, and Thunderwaves causes enough loud sound to cause fractures in unstable stone (like some stalactites).

peterka99

First Post
Etienne tells the others: " Let me sneak ahead. I'll let some rock fall on the things and it will make a loud Bang. Then run and hack the rest of them!"

OOC: I will cast a blade ward spell on me to limit the damage...

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Kat double checks her pistol to make sure it's readied before holding it in her right hand while her sword is in her left. She speaks in a soft voice in her heavy Spanish accent. "Blaise has the right of the plan but merida I'm growing impatient with sneaking around. The waters are going to rise rápido and I'd prefer to not drown here today. Chances are they already know we are here. So if you are going to act do it now before we find ourselves at the bottom of the oceano!"

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
Nia nods, and incants a spell in a droning chant; an invocation to the loa and small gods of earth, wind and sea. Kelp and seaweed grow in sudden bursts through cracks in the cave walls and floor. It comes snapping from pools and lashing across the dim cavern, ensnaring and entangling the beasts caught within the sudden assault!

(Entangle, centered a bit back so that the creatures closest to us are on its far forward edge...allowing us to engage them in melee without having to go through difficult terrain - DC 14 dexterity save or be restrained. Str or Dex check vs same DC to escape, as action on their turns if they are restrained. Difficult terrain in a 20 radius from the center for duration regardless.)

Quickleaf

Legend
GM: Actually, entangle calls for Strength saves, and its area is a 20-foot square!

Grick #1 DC 14 Strength save _: 1D20+2 = [19]+2 = 21 succeeds

Grick #3 DC 14 Strength save _: 1D20+2 = [11]+2 = 13 fails, restrained!

Grick Alpha DC 14 Strength save _: 1D20+4 = [2]+4 = 6 fails, restrained!

Kelpies have their tricks, but so do the loa. Kelp writhes around the boulders, stalactites, and stalagmites. Ambiguous clicking noises and shifting shadows in the dim light from Old Zef's clenched fist around the light stone are the only hint that the others have of the nature of the threat in the chamber. The worms' camouflage is good. But not good enough for Etienne used to scouting ahead, and certainly not good enough for Nia Steeleyes. Her magic binds the largest bluest tinged worm securely along with one of its spawn toward the back of the chamber...at least for now.

GM: Initiative

Player Group #1 (go in any order you like)
Blaise 15
✓Nia 14
Etienne 14

Grick Alpha 14

Player Group #2 (go in any order you like)
Flynn 13
Katerina 13
Old Zef 11

Gricks 10

---------------

Monster Stats
Grick AC 14
Grick #1 HP 27
Grick #2 HP 27
Grick #3 HP 27 (restrained)

Grick Alpha AC 18
Grick Alpha HP 75 (restrained)