Spelljammer Spell Jammer speed

jasper

Rotten DM
To make it simple. In space during ship to ship combat, you can warp speed when you 1,001 ft away from a ship. For planets taking off you just 1 mile from the surface you left. For landing. Well how much are you going bribe your DM?

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
To make it simple. In space during ship to ship combat, you can warp speed when you 1,001 ft away from a ship. For planets taking off you just 1 mile from the surface you left. For landing. Well how much are you going bribe your DM?
For my games I'm going to want it to be higher than 1 mile. I want them to be in space as well. I'll probably just pick an arbitrary 50 miles, since I think most planets are smaller than Earth and on Earth you get to space 62 miles up. For objects in space I'm going to keep it 1 mile. That enables space chases as well as encounters with things in space while you are trying to get distance from a ship or asteroid.

Why not just keep the 1 mile for Ships and other space objects. You automatically start up to 1000 feet away.

Stormonu

Legend
Just to note - I did some calculations and spelljamming ships are travelling at approximately 6,944 miles per round (6 seconds). Spotting/detecting anything at spelljamming speeds takes some unbelievable sensory abilities. Pirate vessels trying to lay a trap/intercept a spelljamming ship would have an exceptionally hard time, I would think.

Just to note - I did some calculations and spelljamming ships are travelling at approximately 6,944 miles per round (6 seconds). Spotting/detecting anything at spelljamming speeds takes some unbelievable sensory abilities. Pirate vessels trying to lay a trap/intercept a spelljamming ship would have an exceptionally hard time, I would think.
100,000,000 miles per 24hrs
4,166,66.67 miles per hour
69,444.444 miles per minute
6,944.44 miles per round
1,157.41 miles per second

3.37x the speed of sound
.0004% the speed of light (not 4% 4/10,000 of 1%)

so somewhere around mach 3... very fast on earth but so slow that you would never get to another solar system

MarkB

Legend
100,000,000 miles per 24hrs
4,166,66.67 miles per hour
69,444.444 miles per minute
6,944.44 miles per round
1,157.41 miles per second

3.37x the speed of sound
.0004% the speed of light (not 4% 4/10,000 of 1%)

so somewhere around mach 3... very fast on earth but so slow that you would never get to another solar system
4.1 million miles per hour is not Mach 3. Mach 1 is 767 mph.

It's about 0.006 the speed of light.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases