Spell Jamming: an OLD/NEW intersection campaign idea/hack

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Still haven't gotten around to updating/fixing my homebrew traditions, but oh well...

So I was thinking, how about doing something kind of like SpellJammer as an intersection of O.L.D. and N.E.W.

So here's some fast and dirty rules ideas.

Use the basic Careers from N.E.W., and races probably from either game. No Psi/psionics. Venetians get Mag 3 instead of Psi 3.

In-system (i.e. sub-luminal) space flight follows the same rules as N.E.W. but FTL drive systems are replaced by SpellJammer systems.
A Spelljamming helm would have the same stats as an FTL engine (cost, space, power, efficiency) and max FTL speed would be SpellJammer power divided by Ship Class (so a class III ship with one power 15 spelljammer helm could hit FTL 5).
Rather than the ships computer acting as a second limiter on Max FTL, the player powering the SpellJammer Helm would have to make a spellcraft check. (my idea on this is still fuzzy, I'm kind of writing this stream of consciousness).

The most important aspect would be that ships don't use FUEL for FTL travel, rather a single individual (or one per helm in multi-helm ships) powers the FTL jump by spending their MP. Right now, my working idea is that 1 MP is equal to one unit of fuel in the normal N.E.W. system.

New Career - SpellJammer Helmsman
Prereq: Mag 1+, Piloting
Agi +1, Int +1, Mag +2
Piloting, Computer Operation, Navigation, Spellcraft, Engineering
I - While you are powering a SpellJammer Helm, add 3 to it's power and +0.1 to it's efficiency.

I can't decide if running a SpellJammer Helm should require the Move Space spell list. If it did, the SpellJammer Helmsman career would offer Move Space as a bonus spell list...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The two big examples of RPG games/settings which sit at that O.L.D./N.E.W. intersection are Spelljammer and Dragonstar. I think both are crying out for setting conversions!

Remove ads