Level: Sor/Wiz 8
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Components: V, S
Range: Medium (100 ft. + 10 ft./level)
Effect: One or moreRays
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes

Rays of cold energy come from your outstreched hand. There is one ray per caster level (max 20 rays). It does not need to be the same target this spell can hit any target with range of the spell. Each ray needs a ranged touch attack to hit. Each of these rays does 1d6 points of cold damage.

The Souljourner

First Post
Ug... I don't think I'd want to have to make 15 touch attack rolls and then roll 15d6 separately....

I know, you want it versatile, but damn, that's a crapload of rolling for one spell. I wouldn't allow it just because of the time it would take to roll all those dice.

How about this -

Ddivide the damage however you choose (but it must be at least 1d6 per target), and then make a touch attack against each target.

Or, if that's too good, make one touch attack against each target and divide the damage equally among the targets (targets that were missed still count for the division).

Much less rolling, but still the same effect you were going for.

-The Souljourner

las

First Post
It might be alot of rolling but you can role more then one die at a time (it helps to have more then one d20 for this spell).

If it looks good other wise then I got it right.

jlhorner1974

First Post
I'd even say that this spell is a bit underpowered.

Cold Orb from Tome and Blood is almost the same spell (4th level), except it is small orbs instead of rays. It had a damage cap of I believe 15d6 and you could split up the damage among targets as you wished in 1d6 increments.

I mean, compare it to the other two good 8th level spells:

Horrid Wilting: Does up to 20d6 to each target in area, no ranged touch (cannot crit), damage not easily resisted

Polar Ray: Does 25d6 to one target, ranged touch (can crit), some damage can be resisted through cold resistance

In your spell, you can split up the damage, but there is only one 20d6 pool, so I don't really consider that to be much more powerful. I would consider your spell to be weaker than both of these spells above.

Remove ads