• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Spell Point System to Replace Standard Spell Progression?

ARandomGod

First Post
In UA I believe the spell points per spell level is equal to the caster level first needed to cast spells of that level.

One spell point for a level one spell,
Three spell points for a level two spell,
Five spell points for a level three spell... etcetera.

Additionally some spells cost more to increase their "effective level", while others simply scale. I think in specific any spell that grants more damage dice per character level, you have to pay one additional spell point per character level above the base. IE, a fireball (third level spell, you have to be a fifth level caster to get the spell) does 5d6 per level at base cost. If you're seventh level you can pay 5(Base cost)+2(additional dice) to get 7d6, or you can pay 5+1 and get 6d6. You can't buy the spell up higher than you're level. Meaning you cannot at seventh level pay 5+3 spell points and get 8d6 (But you could at 8th level, of course).

That increases the flexibility, but technically gives them fewer "spell levels" than a non-spell point caster. There is still the issue that it can cast more of it's highest level spell than a spell slot caster, but not as many more as with a straight progression.
I think this is a sorc only variant... but you can always make houserules (this is, after all, a houserule in itself already).

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
Sundragon2012 said:
Hi,

I am interested in an OGL spell-point system that I can integrate into a setting I am working on, one that can replace the level progression/spell usage charts used by wizards, clerics and other 3rd parts core classes. I like the Midnight setting's mechanic but it seems underpowered for a setting that may not be magic-rich but isn't as magic-sparse as that setting. I'm looking for a spell point mechanic that can work with a setting that falls somewhere between Tolkien and Forgotten Realms.

Does anyone know of such a system?

Chris
I like the spell point system from RPGObjects Legends of Excalibur/Legends of the Samurai. Now I don't know whether or not they are fully OGL, but I bet a quick discussion with the author (who posts here frequently) could clear it up. You can pick up the Legends of the Samurai mystic arts through RPG now for $5.95 so it's not much of an investment.

Why do I like it? Well, it has a master chart for all spellcasters, and also has some very nice mechanics for how spell points are recovered: each class of spellcaster has different environments where they recover faster or slower. Spellcasters can cast some spells from a higher level than normal, but there is a serious cost. It also factors in fatigue into the casting and has an excellent metamagic system.

You can probably find Legends of Excalibur at your FLGS, so browse away!

thalmin

Retired game store owner
The upcoming Thieves' World Player's Manual has a different spell system in it. No points. Here is what I remember of it.
Every caster type has their spell list, just like core. But each caster has several types of spells: Known, Familiar, and Unknown. Each level of spell requires a number of mana points to cast (cantrips 10, 1st 20, 2nd 30 or something like that). Each caster level gives you a bonus to your casting roll. Roll a d20, add your bonus, if you meet or exceed the mana requirement the spell is cast. If not, keep casting next round, adding to previous score. Familiar and unknown are harder to cast, and there is a cost to casting, I think it is non-lethal damage, perhaps with a save. I do know it is possible to cast spells you don't yet know, even if they are of higher level.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
If you want six spells per level...I recommend the PHB sorcerer :p

If, on the other hand, you want a plug and play spell point system, I second the recommendation of the d20 psionics SRD as a substitute for the D&D magic system. With a few houserules, (expanding healing options, and applying the nerf bat to 1 DC/pp scaling powers (Energy Stun, Energy Missile), and other standouts like schism and hostile empathic feedback) it could be a well balanced system on its own.

Sundragon2012 said:
I think that there is a big difference between a broad limit of perhaps 6 spells of any level then the more restrictive PHB system.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads