D&D (2024) Spell preparation

If that's the new way of things, it removes one of the nicest improvements of 5e to spellcasting in general over stricter Vancian casting.
Hmmh. Depends. It beings the casters down a bit. I hope tgw wizard will have a bit more variwty in their choice.
Clerics have domain spells, so they at least have nore variety.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
making it clear you do or do not like the direction they are taking is the main purpose of the playtest
Sure, but I do not believe WotC will take any concerns about spell preparation given right now to heart, as all people's responses are based on purely three classes' use of it (with one them being pretty much the same as it's always been).

Now if people want to say they don't like it just for conversation sake... then sure, go right ahead! It's a conversation piece if nothing else. But if someone wants to see an actual change to what WotC is proposing in spell preparation... as I said I do not think the company is going to even consider not going with what they've proposed until after they've released all their class packets so that players can see the totality of the changes across the board. And that's exactly why I'm not losing any sleep right now.

But who knows? Maybe people's statements and concerns about the Ranger and Bard have caused WotC to make a hard right turn already? I could be wrong. But the only way we'll find out is when the packets themselves get released.

But who knows? Maybe people's statements and concerns about the Ranger and Bard have caused WotC to make a hard right turn already? I could be wrong. But the only way we'll find out is when the packets themselves get released.
if the reaction to the bard (positive negative and neutral) for spell prep isn't looked at as something they care about then there is no reason to talk about any of this. On the other hand we saw inspiration on 20 and inspiration on 1s so they MAY be listening.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
Instead of going towards spell points as default, they are digging themselves back in the hole of Vancian casting
What made you think that changing to spell points as a default was on the table? I haven't seen anything to indicate that was even being thought about.

Remove ads