• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Spell preparation

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
The changes to spell preparations in the latest UA packet have been mentioned, but unless I missed it (entirely possible in the flurry of recent posting) there hasn't been much discussion about them. So, what do people think about them?

I'm a bit perplexed. It is true that the difference between prepared spells and spell slots often proves confusing for new players, but they are still separated in this packet. Possibly there will be less decision paralysis with the level limitations on prepared spells, but I think I prefer the greater flexibility of preparing whatever spells you like. OTOH, I don't mind the possibility of changing cantrips each day.

I had mentioned in another thread that this makes me wonder about the fate of the Sorcerer/Wizard. So if WOTC uses the same method for all previously spontaneous casters (Bards, Sorcerers, Warlocks, Rangers) that means all of those classes can now daily prepare any spell from their spell list as spells prepared. We haven't seen an example of a prepared caster (Cleric, Druid, Paladin, Wizard) so we have no idea if they're going to use the same idea for them as well (although divine casters could do this already so not much change on their end. Now I know this is all assumptions, but let's say one of the following happens:

1. Sorcerers can prep spells like a bard does/ Wizards continue to prep spells like current 5e.
  2. Sorcerers can prep spells like a bard/ Wizards have a completely different ruleset for preparing spells that we haven't seen yet.
  3. Sorcerers have a completely different ruleset for preparing spells that we haven't seen yet./ Wizards continue to prep spells like current 5e.
  4. Wizards and Sorcerers both prep spells using a completely different ruleset for preparing spells that we haven't seen yet.
There may be other possibilities I haven't thought of though.

Now I know this is all based off assumptions, but that's all we got at this point.

So these possibilities make me wonder about the Wiz/Sorc in DD1 because one of the biggest factors that differentiated the Sorcerer from the Wizard in D&D has been how they access their spells. If both are prep casters now with the sorcerer being able to access all arcane spells, but the wizard being limited to only their spellbook then the wizard needs class abilities to make up for that disparity.

If both prep the same way then the class abilities need to be significantly different to make them both feel like distinct classes.

I really hope WOTC drops the Mages classes next because I really want to see how they're handling both.

It’s actually a nerf on the versatilty of casters.
At level 9, Wizard might have access to all 5th level arcane spell, he will only prepare one fifth level spell. wall of force, or teleportation circle? At level 10 it will be better, he can prepare both, but he will be stuck with only 2 fifth level spell until level 18.

it´s a step back toward vancian casting.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
At level 9, Wizard might have access to all 5th level arcane spell, he will only prepare one fifth level spell. wall of force, or teleportation circle? At level 10 it will be better, he can prepare both, but he will be stuck with only 2 fifth level spell until level 18.

If that's the new way of things, it removes one of the nicest improvements of 5e to spellcasting in general over stricter Vancian casting.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...

Sounds like a feature to me.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic

Given how both bard & ranger have free always count spells I wouldn't assume wizard is limited entirely to prep by slot. However assuming wizard works the same as bard that wizard can prepare
  • 3 cantrips
  • 4 1st level spells
  • 3 2nd level spells
  • 3 3rd level spells
  • 3 4th level spells
  • 1 5th level spell
for a total of 14 spells. The ritual casting glossary entry not mentioning spellbooks makes me suspect that scribed in spellbook=prepared or some other method like "x school in spellbook is always considered prepared for you" will be involved. I'd not be surprised to see such a thing paired with sorcerers having more slots than wizard but not having as much prepared due to a lack of spellbook.

Shiroiken

Legend

I think that it is and that it's intentional. This will force players to use more spells of middling level, rather than preparing mostly niche higher level spells. Overall I think this is a good thing, but I don't know if the increased complication of how to prepare spells is worth it.

rules.mechanic

Craft homebrewer
I've been thinking about spells known/prepared and what looks to be an aim to increase flexibility in One D&D. Maybe there's a simple solution that preserves some of the differences between casters:
  • You know and/or can prepare a number of additional spells equal to your Intelligence* modifier and can change those spells on a long rest. These spells can be from any spell list and spell level you have access to, including cantrips.
(*note: Intelligence as opposed to Spellcasting ability, and this pool is shared if multi-classing)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
As we still have the Priest and Mage packets to come... I personally do not see the point of being concerned about spell preparation right now. It will only be after WotC gives us both packets and shows us exactly what their spell preparation presentation across the board will be and then allow us to comment on them in the surveys will WotC truly be able to take any of our comments with any seriousness.

So far people could comment about the Bard and Ranger changes to preparation (and the Cleric's very minor change), but that's it. WotC will not change their course yet on Spell Preparation just off the comments of those two-ish classes. Wait until we see the full suite of casters and then tell them in specific detail for every single one why the change has not succeeded on what they appear to want to do.

Remove ads