D&D 5E [+] Rangers should have monster fighting spells equivalent to Paladin's Smite spells. Discuss!

Rocker26a

Explorer
I think something that'd help with dismantling Favoured Enemy for good, would be creating a spiritual successor to it in the form of a catalogue of spells intended for specific creature types (or more broadly, for creatures that have at least one of the iconic traits of particular creatures, anti-Troll spell that theoretically works on any regenerating creature etc) that parallel the Paladin Smite spells. Only question is, how to do 'em!

The broadness of the creature types is a bit of a problem. For example; I thought it'd be fun to have a spell for Ghosts and similar creatures, that prevents relevant creatures in it's range from entering the Ethereal Plane or utilizing Incorporeal Movement, and maybe slows their movement in general and they take a little more damage on hit? Like a Pac-Man spell! Only problem is, "Undead" is an extremely broad category obviously, a Ghoul or a Vampire wouldn't be much bothered by that spell as is. So it's no good having something like that be the only choice for Undead. So what do you do?

One possibility I might like, as opposed to making a bunch of singular spells per subdivision within a creature type; You could offer a choice of effect as a part of the casting, like Symbol? So have one specific spell for Undead, but when you cast it you choose an effect that counters particular Undead creature types. So, that Pac-Man thing for Ghosts and similar, something that counters Undead Fortitude for Zombies and similar, etc. And yeah, similar story for other creature types. An anti-Giant spell, but one option is for Trolls that goes against their Regeneration. And, maybe just offer a generic effect for anything that falls through the cracks of that sort of idea? You just have a bonus to saves against their abilities or they have disadvantage to do stuff or whatever. Maybe that'd work without being too cumbersome? Would just need some ideas for what to do, what bases to cover.

What sort of thing comes to mind with that prompt? Share some ideas if you want!

(Also, for the sake of this discussion; just assume Ranger is prepared spells. So you can do that thing where, you investigate what you're gonna be facing, and you can choose one of these spells when you prepare a spell list, and once you're actually facing the problem or just about to, you can select the affect you need.)

As a sidenote; I know some folks in the community would be extremely resistant to the idea of this sort of mechanic expressed as spells rather than out-and-out class abilities, but. I'd rather use the language and parallels available on this one I think.

Rocker26a

Explorer
For every suggestion that Rangers get even more spellcasting, Aragorn kills a Hobbit on the way to Amon Sul.

I'm not gonna say that thinking Rangers shouldn't have spellcasting is wrong, even though having it is my personal preference! I understand that perspective and the argument for it, even though I disagree!
That having been said, if Rangers having spellcasting is the norm (for the foreseeable future), then there are some things that would help the class scrape by better. And yeah, I think a parallel to the Smites could be one of them.

Plus, these spells wouldn't necessarily solely benefit Ranger, even if it would primarily benefit them. They could then be offered to other subclasses, or be presented as options for Feats that grant spells! I think they'd be a net positive even if you dislike Ranger having spellcasting.

Horwath

Legend
Since I hate the idea of rangers as stealth guerrilla warriors flapping their arms like madmen or yelling from top of their lungs to use their class features, I have added one feature to Ranger spellcasting:

When ranger cast spells provided by ranger class(and ranger class only), they ignore any Material, Somatic and Verbal components.
Ranger spells cannot be dispelled or counterspelled and Concentration on ranger spells cannot be broken unless ranger dismisses the spell.

this way I can keep the current ranger "chassis" and keep the stealth aspect of the class.

Rocker26a

Explorer
Since I hate the idea of rangers as stealth guerrilla warriors flapping their arms like madmen or yelling from top of their lungs to use their class features, I have added one feature to Ranger spellcasting:

When ranger cast spells provided by ranger class(and ranger class only), they ignore any Material, Somatic and Verbal components.
Ranger spells cannot be dispelled or counterspelled and Concentration on ranger spells cannot be broken unless ranger dismisses the spell.

this way I can keep the current ranger "chassis" and keep the stealth aspect of the class.

That's actually something I've come up against in my own homebrewing for Ranger, yeah it could easily be a flavour break depending on how rigidly you define such things. I think you could maaaybe swing certain things that aren't as bad; clenching your fists as a somatic component, muttering some affirmation to yourself as a verbal component etc.

But yeah I have got something similar to that in my Ranger homebrew, forget exactly what I have down for it but I remember it's called "Internal Focus", and similar to Subtle Spell but maybe not exactly the same for free.
Ahhh, dug it out of an older version. Yeah, I think I borrowed it from another homebrew? A number of them seem to have it. It's this!
When you cast spells that require a material component, you can ignore that component unless it has a value, such as the specially marked sticks, bones, or similar tokens worth at least 25 gp for the augury spell, in which case the components are required.

Last edited:

Stormonu

Legend
Personally, I'd rather have them go the Battlemaster route and ditch spells for Maneuvers - the Ranger becomes the King of Battlefield maneuvers, regaining some of its "commando" origins. On top of the regular fighter maneuvers, make a host of maneuvers that are tuned to enemy types (for example, a maneuver that allows them to hit incorporeal creatures with ease and/or stop their phasing ability). Include several out-of-combat maneuvers that tackle the exploration pillar - improved tracking, trailblazing, interactions with animals, etc. Because they are manuevers and not spells, can't be counterspelled or dispelled, don't need V,S,M, etc.

Rocker26a

Explorer
Personally, I'd rather have them go the Battlemaster route and ditch spells for Maneuvers - the Ranger becomes the King of Battlefield maneuvers, regaining some of its "commando" origins. On top of the regular fighter maneuvers, make a host of maneuvers that are tuned to enemy types (for example, a maneuver that allows them to hit incorporeal creatures with ease and/or stop their phasing ability). Include several out-of-combat maneuvers that tackle the exploration pillar - improved tracking, trailblazing, interactions with animals, etc. Because they are manuevers and not spells, can't be counterspelled or dispelled, don't need V,S,M, etc.

Eeeeh. I'm reluctant to have the Ranger tread on the Fighter's toes any further. They're already very between several classes, depending on the rendition.

Stormonu

Legend
I'd rather not, to be honest. The Fighter needs more than just being the "D&D for Dummies" class.
I'm not talking about taking away the Battlemaster subclass from the fighter, but making it the default feature of the Ranger instead of something they take from a subclass. And add some special manuevers only Rangers can access.

Rocker26a

Explorer
I'm not talking about taking away the Battlemaster subclass from the fighter, but making it the default feature of the Ranger instead of something they take from a subclass. And add some special manuevers only Rangers can access.

I think you're underrating what this would mean for Battlemaster, in spirit and in practice. You're giving the key to their kingdom to another class. Rangers getting maneuvers from their base class, on-top of maneuvers exclusive to them, that's damaging to Battlemaster's identity in a way that getting maneuvers from a Fighting Style or a Feat, isn't.

Remove ads