D&D 5E [+] Rangers should have monster fighting spells equivalent to Paladin's Smite spells. Discuss!

Rocker26a

Explorer
No, the Smite Spells wouldn't be rendered obsolete by their Divine Smite ability. Those spells merely augment that ability.

They don't necessarily augment Divine Smite itself, though they can be used in conjunction with it on the same attack.
Exactly! That's what I'm hoping to recreate for Ranger. A smattering of spells for specific scenarios, that may be evocative of their primary ability in some ways, but not a replacement for it.

Rocker26a

Explorer
Only works if Rangers have spellbooks.

Then you can know Charm Undead, Bind Monstrosity, Banish Demon, Hold Aberration. and Dragonbane.

You'd have to create a

Banish X
Blind X
Charm X
Hold X
Locate X
Speak with X
X-Bane
X-Friendship
X Ward

for every applicable monster type

That's something I specifically want to avoid, I don't want to inundate the spell list with new stuff. No more than there are types of creature, if that many at all.

But beyond that, the idea for this I've got in my head is just what you might call "Banes". I don't know that I'm set on that as a name for this class of spell (Bane already being a thing n' all), but. Yeah. For the sake of argument. A few different "X-Banes".

Larnievc

Hero
I think something that'd help with dismantling Favoured Enemy for good, would be creating a spiritual successor to it in the form of a catalogue of spells intended for specific creature types (or more broadly, for creatures that have at least one of the iconic traits of particular creatures, anti-Troll spell that theoretically works on any regenerating creature etc) that parallel the Paladin Smite spells. Only question is, how to do 'em!

The broadness of the creature types is a bit of a problem. For example; I thought it'd be fun to have a spell for Ghosts and similar creatures, that prevents relevant creatures in it's range from entering the Ethereal Plane or utilizing Incorporeal Movement, and maybe slows their movement in general and they take a little more damage on hit? Like a Pac-Man spell! Only problem is, "Undead" is an extremely broad category obviously, a Ghoul or a Vampire wouldn't be much bothered by that spell as is. So it's no good having something like that be the only choice for Undead. So what do you do?

One possibility I might like, as opposed to making a bunch of singular spells per subdivision within a creature type; You could offer a choice of effect as a part of the casting, like Symbol? So have one specific spell for Undead, but when you cast it you choose an effect that counters particular Undead creature types. So, that Pac-Man thing for Ghosts and similar, something that counters Undead Fortitude for Zombies and similar, etc. And yeah, similar story for other creature types. An anti-Giant spell, but one option is for Trolls that goes against their Regeneration. And, maybe just offer a generic effect for anything that falls through the cracks of that sort of idea? You just have a bonus to saves against their abilities or they have disadvantage to do stuff or whatever. Maybe that'd work without being too cumbersome? Would just need some ideas for what to do, what bases to cover.

What sort of thing comes to mind with that prompt? Share some ideas if you want!

(Also, for the sake of this discussion; just assume Ranger is prepared spells. So you can do that thing where, you investigate what you're gonna be facing, and you can choose one of these spells when you prepare a spell list, and once you're actually facing the problem or just about to, you can select the affect you need.)

As a sidenote; I know some folks in the community would be extremely resistant to the idea of this sort of mechanic expressed as spells rather than out-and-out class abilities, but. I'd rather use the language and parallels available on this one I think.
I’d be more inclined to give the ranger Smite Foe which is burning a spell slot to do 1d8 per slot damage like a Paladin does to keep it simple.

That way if you hate rangers with spells just burn them for damage.

Maybe add resistance/immunity bypass at higher levels.

Rocker26a

Explorer
I’d be more inclined to give the ranger Smite Foe which is burning a spell slot to do 1d8 per slot damage like a Paladin does to keep it simple.

That way if you hate rangers with spells just burn them for damage.

Maybe add resistance/immunity bypass at higher levels.

But that's literally just Divine Smite! I don't think the people who dislike spellcasting on Rangers will be compelled by "just make them a Paladin"!

The primary purpose of the spells I'm considering isn't just damage. They might offer it or offer avenues to it, but the whole point is to have an answer to the stuff monsters do. You can Uno Reverse them, because you're a Ranger.
And like, ideally, for those who dislike spellcasting on Ranger in general, they'd hopefully be translucent enough that you can use any flavour you like.

Last edited:

Remove ads