D&D 5E Spellcasters: Short-rest vs. Long-rest vs. Other

What is your preference for spellcasting recovery time-period?

• Warlocks short, every one else long. (RAW)

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Make all short rest.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Make all long rest.

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Some other system? (Other...)

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • Spellcasting SUCCESS Check needed

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Spellcasting DRAIN check needed

Votes: 5 11.9%

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Just curious what peoples' thoughts/preferences are on this.

Warlocks are short-rest recovery casters, everyone else is long-rest recovery. With Tasha's, there seems to be a move away from short-rest features, as well.

Many people don't seem to care for spell slots, anyway, so if you have another option please share.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Use a free-style casting system that brings in some danger to casting. Roll to cast. Miscasting causes problems. Fumbling causes big problems. Cast anything you want at any level. The higher the spell level the harder and more dangerous it is. The higher your caster level the easier spells are to cast. We need more casters spontaneously mutating, winking out of existence, and permanently turned into inanimate objects.

I voted the first option, though it is not quite accurate. I like different casters having different recovery methods, but I'm not sure it is necessary that Warlocks alone are short rest based. I think there could in general be more variety in this.

Larnievc

Hero
Just curious what peoples' thoughts/preferences are on this.

Warlocks are short-rest recovery casters, everyone else is long-rest recovery. With Tasha's, there seems to be a move away from short-rest features, as well.

Many people don't seem to care for spell slots, anyway, so if you have another option please share.
I like having a mix. My party tends to have two short rests between long rests. This is at 4th level so it work out well to have a mix, rather than one or another.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Hi all,

I've updated the poll with a couple new options and increased the votes allowed to 3 so you can select more than one option if you want.

Please update your votes as desired and thanks for voting/participating! :)

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
For the two new options, I have been going back and forth as to which I would prefer myself: spellcasting success check or spellcasting drain check.

I was thinking for drain, if you fail the check you take psychic damage equal to the spell's level and you cannot cast again until you make a successful check or finish a rest.

This would remove spell slots.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases