Spelljacks

LRonKnieval

First Post
I tried reworking Riot Gear's spelljacker... The only way it really made sense was a seperate character class (as Leopold had suggested). As feat, there are too many loose ends. I think this versions pretty playable though. See what you guys think.

btw. I reposted all Riot Gear's other arcane magic ideas on Imperialus's thread.

The Spelljacker
Based on a concept by Richard “Riot Gear” Hughes

Spelljacking is the study of the manipulation of magical energy through the use of elaborate clockwork machinery. Those individuals who practice the craft are called spelljackers. A spelljacker is part scientist, part sage, and part wizard. They are well versed in advanced mathematical theories and scientific lore and have spent hundreds of hours documenting the unique properties of everything from minerals to tidal pressures to the effects of time. Ultimately, they apply all their knowledge into the construction of strange mechanical devices called spelljacks, that can be manipulated and modified to produce arcane spells. Spelljackers do not gain spells, instead they gain the knowledge of how to create devices capable of producing them. Through research and study a spelljacker acquires the calculations and theories he needs to modify his spelljack.

A spelljack is a bizarre mechanical device comprised of various gears, switches, levers, pulleys, spinners, and counterweights. Although they come in various shapes and sizes, the most common resembles a long wooden or metal staff crossed with the insides of a cuckoo-clock. Each spelljack is unique to its creator. A typical spelljacker spends a great deal of his time and patience carefully constructing and modifying his spelljack. As he increases in level so does his ability to modify and operate the complex machinery and so does his ability to produce spells.

Adventurers: Many Spelljackers take up adventuring as way to study new events, search out strange materials and substances, and otherwise acquire information about the world that they can apply towards improving their spelljacks and their craft.

Characteristics: Spelljackers are scholars and manipulators of machinery, and magic. They develop like sorcerers, but most have a thinking process regarding the nature of magic, that is more closely attuned with a wizard.

Background: Like wizards, spelljackers spend years studying and laboring to improve both their knowledge and their craft and they are always well educated. Because of the uniqueness and extreme individuality involved in crafting spelljacks, most spelljackers are highly competitive among themselves and do not often get along.

Races: While anyone can take up the craft of spelljacking, those individuals with gnomish blood are more readily drawn to it.

Other Class: Spelljackers do not have a lot in common with other classes, with the exceptions of rogues with whom they share an affinity for tools and tinkering. They get along fairly well with anyone who seeks knowledge or is otherwise curious, but their patience can wear thin around barbarians and fighters or other characters whose obvious lack of subtly regarding destruction of researchable creatures, they find a little annoying.

Class Skills: Alchemy (Int), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (Any) (Int), Knowledge (spelljacking)(Int, exclusive skill), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int).
Skill Points at 1st level: 4+ Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4+ Int modifier.
New Skill: Knowledge (Spelljacking). This skill is what determines a spelljacker’s success when he attempts to modify his spelljack. It is a class exclusive skill that works in conjuction the Craft Spelljack ability.

Class features
All of the following are class features of the Spelljacker.

Weapons and Armor: Spelljackers are only proficient with simple weapons. Since they spend most of their time studying and researching they are therefore not proficient with armor or shields. However, unlike most spellcasters, heavy armor does not interfere with a spelljackers ability to operate his spelljack because he only needs his fingers to switch the levers that release the spells. Wearing gloves interferes with the process slightly (10% chance per spell of unwinding the spelljack) and gauntlets interfere with the process a little more (20% chance per spell of unwinding the spelljack.

Spells:
The amount of arcane spells a spelljacker can produce with his spelljack per level is identical to the amount of spells a sorcerer of the equivalent level knows. However, spelljacks need to be wound once per day and can only be prepared to hold a certain amount of spells per winding. The maximum amount of spells a spelljacker can wind at one time is equal to the amount of spells a sorcerer of equivalent level can cast per day.
Winding a spell jack takes two full hours of attentive labor. During this time the spelljack is oiled and small latches and gears are reset and realigned as the spelljack is prepared for its next day of spellcasting. Because a spelljack is a clockwork device, time plays an important role in the winding process and attempting to prematurely wind a spelljack causes it to become inoperable until 24 hours have passed. The normal winding time for a spelljack is once every 24 hours during the same time period as designated by its creator.
Winding a spelljack clears it of any remaining spells.
Specialization: Like a wizard, A spelljack can opt to specialize in a single school of magic.
Craft Spelljack: Creating a spelljack similar to creating a magic item in that it takes time and money. However, crafting a spelljack is an ongoing process and because each one is unique, the crafter’s ability always determines the quality of the spelljack. The success of crafting is determined by a Knowledge (spelljacking) check. The base value of a spelljack built from hardwood and metal components is 100 gp. Such a spelljack has an AC of 15, an hardness of 5, 15 hit points and weighs 5 lbs.

The base DC for a spelljacker to properly research and add a new spell modification is the 10+ the level of the spell. Each modification adds one pound per spell level to the overall weight of the spelljack. The spelljacker is permitted to attempt adding the modifications for new spells upon attaining a new level. If he fails, the modification doesn’t work but the overall weight of the spelljack still increases. Additionally, if the modification to be added is a spell that normally requires material component, the spelljacker must add it at the time of the modification. The cost of adding the components as part of the modification is equal to the spells level x10 x the cost of the components for a single use. Then from that point on, the spelljacker need not use the components when triggering that spell from the spelljack.
Spelljackers can also make a variety of other modifications to their spelljacks, Use the following chart to determine the total cost of creating spelljacks and modifications.
Knowledge
Physical Minimum level (Spelljacking) Experience Added
Modification of Spelljacker DC Cost Points Weight
+1 hit point 2+ 15 300gp -25 2lb
+1 Hardness point 3+ 18 400gp -30 1lb
Shed light ( 4+ 20 250gp -10 1lb
+1 AC bonus 5+ 20 500gp -35 1/2lb
Weight Reduction
(per pound) 6+ 28 1,000gp -250 -1lb
Shed light (60ft) 8+ 25 500gp -25 -
Energy Resistance
(+1 bonus per type) 10+ 35 250gp -25 1/10lb

Special Materials: Sometimes, spelljackers use rare metals and expensive materials to build their spelljacks. These materials are expensive but provide certain benefits.
Adamantium: This metal increases the spelljack’s base hardness by +15 and its base hit points by +25. The cost of an adamantium spelljack is +5,000gp.
Mithral: This metal increases the spelljack’s hardness by +10 , its hit points by +15, and decreases its weight by –5 lbs (1lb minimum). The cost of a mithral spelljack is +4,000gp.
Darkwood: This wood decreases a spelljack’s weight by –10lbs (1lb minimum). The cost of a darkwood spelljack is +2,000 gp.
Halas: This metal increases the spelljack’s hardness by +5 , its hit points by +10 and decreases the spelljack’s weight by 15lbs (1lb minimum). The cost of a halas spelljack is +7,500.

Metamagic Feats: If a spelljacker chooses to take metamagic feats, they are applied to the construction of spelljack. Each feat increases the weight of the spelljack by 1 lb..

Magically Modifying a Spelljack: Attempts to magically modify spelljacks interfere with the precise mechanisms of the device and cause it to become non-functional. Additionally, spells that displace the weight of a spelljack by alter gravity, such as levitation and featherfall throw them out of whack. A spelljack that is the target of a spell of this nature must make a Fortiude save against the spells DC or become prematurely unwound, losing any prepared spells until the next winding period.

Damaged Spelljacks: Damaged spelljacks run the risk of prematurely unwinding and losing all their prepared spells. The chance for accidentally unwinding a damaged spelljack is equal to the percent to which it has been damaged. For example, an average 1st level spelljack (15hp max) that is damaged by 10 hit points has a 66% chance of unwinding each time its owner attempts to use it to release a spell. A spelljack that has been damaged can be repaired by making a successful knowledge (Spelljacking ) check with a DC = 15 + % of total damage X 1/2. For example, the DC to repair a spelljack that has been damaged by 60% of its total hit points would be 21. A spelljack that has lost all its hit points or has been otherwise destroyed cannot be repaired.

Salvaging another character’s spelljack: While spelljackers have no need for spellbooks, they have a great need for spelljack parts. A spelljacker that comes into the possession of another character’s spelljacker can attempt to take it apart and salvage it for parts. The DC to salvage another person’s spelljack is 20+ the level of its creator. A successful salvage allows the spelljacker to apply 50% of the spelljack’s total value to any future modification costs he will incur when he works on his own spelljack until the total amount is spent. Damaged spelljacks can be salvaged to provide 25% value towards the reduction of materials costs. A destroyed spelljack is worthless.

Using another character’s spelljack: A spelljacker can attept to trigger a spell from an opponents spelljack by making a successful Knowledge(spelljack) check (DC 30+ spell level). If he succeeds the spell works normally, if he fails, the spelljack prematurely unwinds.

Non-spelljacker’s attempting to use a spelljack: To determine the effects of a non-spelljacker roll %d and consult the chart below. The character can attempt to make a Reflex save (10+spell level) for half damage from potentially dangerous spells.
d% Result
01-75 The spelljack unwinds prematurely.
76-80 The spelljack becomes damaged for 2d4 hp.
81-90 A random spell discharges in the general area.
91-99 A random spell discharges and hits whoever is fiddling with the device.
00 The spelljack explodes doing 1d6 damage per level of the highest spell stored to anyone in a 30 ft radius from the spelljack.

Multiple Spelljacks: Because of their extremely sensitive mechanics, no two spelljacks can be placed within a 30 ft. radius of each other without becoming damaged. When multiple spelljacks are placed together, they must each make a Fortitude save (DC 10+ the creator’s level of the other spelljack). If they fail they take 1d6 damage per the creator’s level of the opposing spelljack. If they succeed the damage is halved.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
ok good outline so far a few flaws I see:

1. Any type of advancement scenario?
2. Need more feats for these to create bonus' to new spelljacks such as: Improved casting time, more spells, small devices, etc.

A few things I came up with while reading this. Good start but it can be better...

Last edited:

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Lichtenhart said:
What about adding disable devices and use magice devices to his class skill list?

if they aren't part of it already i would ASSUME (yes yes i know) that use magic device is the same as a wizard or sorcerer and gain it automatically.

I would also like there to be feats for these such as:

1. Craft minor/major/supreme/etc spelljack enhancement: Allows user to build and improve on the spelljack.

you can make this a feat gained at every 3rd level or something.

Lichtenhart

First Post
Leopold said:

if they aren't part of it already i would ASSUME (yes yes i know) that use magic device is the same as a wizard or sorcerer and gain it automatically.

I wasn't sure about it.
I still think that he should have disable device, search, and scry as class skills.

What about some item creation feats that allow him to turn objects into minor spelljacks? (e.g. a special trigger on a crossbow that shoots 3/day magic missle, complicated goggles to see invisible for ten minutes...) Every object should have very few charges a day, or limited charges. Otherwise two hours of preparation are a very looong time..

Just my two morris :)

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Lichtenhart said:

I wasn't sure about it.
I still think that he should have disable device, search, and scry as class skills.

What about some item creation feats that allow him to turn objects into minor spelljacks? (e.g. a special trigger on a crossbow that shoots 3/day magic missle, complicated goggles to see invisible for ten minutes...) Every object should have very few charges a day, or limited charges. Otherwise two hours of preparation are a very looong time..

Just my two morris :)

why search and scry? I can see disable device but not search and scry. The spelljacker is a mechanic more or less, he can build and create things with material but I don't think that scrying would be a suitable one for this class as he needs more time building things and tinkering than spying on other areas.

Start adding in those skills and you overlap with the rogue making this a uberclass to play with. Picture a PC with no components can disable traps and then search for more and if the enemy comes blast them with spells with nice hp's to boot...

Lichtenhart

First Post
You're right. I felt it weaker than the wizard, but I was forgetting about the armor proficiency. It has better hps too?
The reasoning behind search was that he is accustomed to see how gears work... let's drop it.
I said scry because every main caster class in the PH has some divination spell to use with scry....we may drop it as well.
His spell-list is the wiz/sorc's one?

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
Lichtenhart said:
You're right. I felt it weaker than the wizard, but I was forgetting about the armor proficiency. It has better hps too?
The reasoning behind search was that he is accustomed to see how gears work... let's drop it.
I said scry because every main caster class in the PH has some divination spell to use with scry....we may drop it as well.
His spell-list is the wiz/sorc's one?

Spells:
The amount of arcane spells a spelljacker can produce with his spelljack per level is identical to the amount of spells a sorcerer of the equivalent level knows. However, spelljacks need to be wound once per day and can only be prepared to hold a certain amount of spells per winding. The maximum amount of spells a spelljacker can wind at one time is equal to the amount of spells a sorcerer of equivalent level can cast per day.
Winding a spell jack takes two full hours of attentive labor. During this time the spelljack is oiled and small latches and gears are reset and realigned as the spelljack is prepared for its next day of spellcasting. Because a spelljack is a clockwork device, time plays an important role in the winding process and attempting to prematurely wind a spelljack causes it to become inoperable until 24 hours have passed. The normal winding time for a spelljack is once every 24 hours during the same time period as designated by its creator.

SOR spells BUT he can specialize as a wizard...very nice..a necro gearhead..how intriguing..

I concur with the nixing of search and scry..the use device i would assume he gets but if not we need to add it in there...good call on that one..

LRonKnieval

First Post
glad you guys got a chance to look at it.

My reply to the comments,
The class doesn't need more feats, I felt that would only make the class weaker, especially if they were centered around the spelljack because the rules are already there for it. Basically, the craft spelljack ability provides them with the unique ability to make spelljacks and the exclusive knowledge spell is what determines there ability to make modifications to it.
Thats also why I alloted them more skill points than a sorcerer or wizard, to invest in spelljack creation and modification.
They can also apply metamagic feats to the spelljack.

The real advantages to spell jackers are
1) They suffer no chance of spell failure from armor.
2) They don't need material components, (except when adding a spell).
3) I think i forgot to write it into the revision but, releasing a spell from a spelljack is identical to using a use activated item. That means that the spelljacker can release a spell without provoking an attack of opportunity and does not require concentration. It can also be triggered as a partial action... all three of these features are huge advantages.

Lichtenhart is 100% right about use the magic device skill, it should be included as a class skill. I hope i was clear enough in the text that spelljackers weren't really wizards. As far as disable device, I thought it was unnecessary, the Knowledge (spelljacking) should cover it for disabling, salvaging, or manipulating other people's spelljacks. Perhaps the problem is the Knowledge (spelljacking) skill name- it should really be a Craft or profession skill, actually it should just be 'Spelljacking' skill , like 'Alchemy'.

Finally, the other devices Leopold suggested aren't really 'spelljacking' things but more like straight machinery that produce magical effects. I thought about that kind of thing too but it treads dangerously close to the gnome artificer PrC in the magic of Faerun book. To me it seemed like more advanced or specific items might be better for a PrC. I was also concerened about unbalacing the class.

There is something else 'riot gear' mentioned in his original text, clockwork golems called steamjacks.
I don't believe they are in the DF setting at the moment so I left them out of the revision. riot gear's text read that spelljackers were the only people that could create these creatures. If we were to include the, Perhaps here is where we could apply a feat Craft Steamjack- prerequisite : Spelljacker 5 level.
But we'd need a nice write up for the clockwork golem.

Lichtenhart

First Post
Sorry, I didn't understand point #3. And I don't have Faerun books. Never mind.

You may only want to add hit points and the DC to save against his spell (or am I blind?)

Now I may want to run a character like this, so I feel it works. Good job!

Clock work golems.... cool......:cool: I'll love it

Remove ads