D&D 5E Spelljammer 5E Poll

Did you buy and do you like what is being done with the 5E Spelljammer set?

• Yes, Bought. Yes, I liked.

Votes: 56 46.3%
  • Yes, Bought. No, I did not like.

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • No, bought. Yes, I liked.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • No, bought. No, I did not like.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other...

Votes: 10 8.3%

I did buy it and haven't read through the whole thing yet. I clicked "bought, no like" but it's certainly more complicated than that! I like a lot of it, but I think what's not there is pretty sorely missing, decent ship-to-ship combat rules most of all.

And I'm still flabbergasted that they made this a three-volume set but the total page count is still less than most one-volume 5e books!

Bought, annoyed.

What's there is mostly good, but the product itself is pretty much a worst-case scenario for the format so many here told us we were overreacting to. Definitely a triumph of style over substance.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
I bought it, and for the most part it's fine. But aside from the wonky looking ships it doesn't really feel like Spelljammer to me.

I picked bought/don't like, but that's only half true. I wish they hadn't dumped planar travel into Spelljammer, and I really wish they'd kept more of SJ's fundamental weirdness, but most of what's actually in the set is good. And the art absolutely rules.

pukunui

Legend
I bought it on DDB but haven't read through the whole thing yet so don't really have an opinion on the product as a whole. I am disappointed by whole railroady the adventure is, though.

CharlesWallace

enworld.com is a reminder of my hubris
I bought it and love it. I absolutely agree that it needs more content. It's somewhat shocking to me that there aren't tables to roll random wildspace areas, random planets, etc. I personally suspect they were intended to be in the set, but somehow had to be cut. Nothing else makes sense to me. My guess would be something with the shipping apocalypse and the printing apocalypse that are ongoing.
Since I already have a lot of the 2E stuff, I can just steal from there if I ever want to use it. Sadly, I'll probably just mostly read it and imagine. That's kind of what I do.

TwiceBorn2

Adventurer
Apologies for the minor tangent, but for those who have read through SJ 5E, are there any explicit Greyhawk or Greyspace references in it?

Stormonu

Legend
Apologies for the minor tangent, but for those who have read through SJ 5E, are there any explicit Greyhawk or Greyspace references in it?
I've read about 3/4 of it. No mention of Greyhawk or Greyspace, but there is an illustration of Mordenkainen encountering a Hammerhead ship while Astral traveling.

aramis erak

Legend
The Amazon ranking thread got me wondering. We've seen some strong opinions, but I'm curious about two things.

1) Did you buy the new Spelljammer set?
2) Do you like the new Spelljammer set?

As always, feel free to leave details about your opinion - and your experiences with Spelljammer, old and new.
Bought, has arrived, have read one book (the adventuer's guide), and have mixed feelings.
Skimmed the bestiary, too... looks good.
Not happy the poster is bound in.
Screen is pretty; not certain it's useful, but at least it's 4 panel landscape.

Biggest gap I see: how to figure the ratings for new designs of spelljammer....
They gave us the helm -- price, manufacture -- but not the math to use it. (other than to replace a stolen, lost, or damaged one)

Remove ads