D&D 5E Spelljammer 5E Poll

Did you buy and do you like what is being done with the 5E Spelljammer set?

• Yes, Bought. Yes, I liked.

Votes: 56 46.3%
  • Yes, Bought. No, I did not like.

Votes: 20 16.5%
  • No, bought. Yes, I liked.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • No, bought. No, I did not like.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other...

Votes: 10 8.3%

R_J_K75

Legend
Interesting. I can't imagine a supplement turning me off from playing D&D. They are just not something that moves my needle that way. Everyone is different of course, but maybe that is the advantage of always playing in our own setting with our own adventures. All we have need to play for the past 9 years is the core 3 (and our house rules).
I'm not saying 5E D&D is a bad game, it's just not for me anymore. I have trouble remembering rules want something simpler and I think I've found it. I agree that writing your own adventures and setting only requires the 3 core books. Depending on what the final D&D 2024 products look like, who knows I may eventually come back to it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I don't disagree, I would've liked more content. But you are talking to a guy who still owns the SJ boxed set and a couple of the supplements. Im that guy but I also want more people to come to SJ who never played it.
Yeah, the only thing I really think is missing properly speaking is some more guidance and systems for generating places to visit, similar to the chapters in Ravnica and Eberron chockablock full of random tables and plot hooks.

R_J_K75

Legend
hate is a very strong word. Still, good for you.
I understand that theres a market for pre-made adventures. But it seems like a good majority of D&D products (if they arent an adventure themselves) contain an adventure. I rarely if ever used any adventure I bought for 5E but just mined them for monsters, spells, etc. I agree with @Parmandur the page count of the adventure in the SJ slipcase could have been better used to detail the setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I understand that theres a market for pre-made adventures. But it seems like a good majority of D&D products (if they arent an adventure themselves) contain an adventure. I rarely if ever used any adventure I bought for 5E but just mined them for monsters, spells, etc. I agree with @Parmandur the page count of the adventure in the SJ slipcase could have been better used to detail the setting.
Well, I actually like that Adventure quite a bit (tons of useful material, very little wasted space, modular as heck when you break it down), I just wanted 224-320 pages overall rather than 192.

ichabod

Legned
I was hopeful, as it might have worked for the backstory of my setting. But I did not like, and it convinced me that WotC could not make a quality revision to 5E. So it was either find another system or house rule 5E hardcore.

R_J_K75

Legend
Well, I actually like that Adventure quite a bit (tons of useful material, very little wasted space, modular as heck when you break it down), I just wanted 224-320 pages overall rather than 192.
Did you play or run it? I don't doubt that most of WotC adventures have useful stuff in them if you run/play them. I don't like having to read an adventure, then brush up on it from session to session, I find for myself that I can better utilize my time writing my own. My group decided that we didn't like the 5E system so we switched to 2E AD&D and will start playing ShadowDark in the Fall. As I usually pre-ordered my stuff on Amazon there's usually no telling exactly what you're getting beforehand. The closest "Friendly" Local Game Store isn't so friendly, In the couple of times I've gone in there I was ignored. I literally once went up to the counter to ask the clerk a question and he couldn't be bothered to look up from what he was doing to ask if I needed help with anything. So I don't consider that an option anymore for purchasing anything there.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Did you play or run it? I don't doubt that most of WotC adventures have useful stuff in them if you run/play them. I don't like having to read an adventure, then brush up on it from session to session, I find for myself that I can better utilize my time writing my own. My group decided that we didn't like the 5E system so we switched to 2E AD&D and will start playing ShadowDark in the Fall. As I usually pre-ordered my stuff on Amazon there's usually no telling exactly what you're getting beforehand. The closest "Friendly" Local Game Store isn't so friendly, In the couple of times I've gone in there I was ignored. I literally once went up to the counter to ask the clerk a question and he couldn't be bothered to look up from what he was doing to ask if I needed help with anything. So I don't consider that an option anymore for purchasing anything there.
I haven't Rum thst one yet, no, though I've enjoyed the 5E Adventures by and large, and have heard good report from those who have run this campaign.

Honestly, from my experience with 5E Adventures overall, they are best when looted for pieces and parts rather than run straight through. Predrawn maps and Encounters, that can be repurposed or refluffed as needed.

Last edited:

Was excited for it, pre-ordered it, bought it, was deeply disappointed with it.

The PC races were bland and mechanically unadventurous. The lack of a meaningful spaceship battle system in the spaceship swashbuckling setting was ridiculous. The adventure was a railroad with a bad climax, and the lack of any sort of plot hooks or setting detail beyond the adventure (and 3 pages on the Rock of Bral) was pathetic. The casual theft of Athas’s toys was both deeply annoying to me as a big Dark Sun fan who was hoping to see 5e DS at some point, and jarringly incongruous with the tone of the rest of the product. And the gm screen, despite its beautiful art, was a waste of effort and resources in what was already a very expensive and low-content product.

As some have said in this thread, many of these problems could have been largely eliminated by bumping up the page count by 64 or something similar, and a good product would have resulted. But unfortunately they weren’t, and the final package just wasn’t up to scratch. There’s a couple of SJ-like kickstarters floating around - Starlight Arcana and Aetherial Expanse for example, that I’m hoping will fill in some of the gaping holes WotC left.

Remove ads